how to use ide as primary to retrieve files off of corrupted sata drive - Storage

This is a discussion on how to use ide as primary to retrieve files off of corrupted sata drive - Storage ; I have a Dell 8400 and the SATA drive that is in it is corrupted and will not boot. I tried installing an IDE drive out of another computer to boot from so I can retrieve files. I set it ...

  1. how to use ide as primary to retrieve files off of corrupted sata drive

    I have a Dell 8400 and the SATA drive that is in it is corrupted and will not
    boot. I tried installing an IDE drive out of another computer to boot from so
    I can retrieve files. I set it up so the IDE will boot first and the SATA
    will boot second. When I start the computer the SATA drive doesn't show up in
    My Computer or in the Hardware Devices, but it does show up in BIOS. I tired
    plugging in to SATA0, SATA1 and SATA2, but it won't show up. Is the drive bad
    or is there something more I need to do for it to show up? Thanks for your
    help!

  2. Re: how to use ide as primary to retrieve files off of corrupted sata drive

    Previously dewdew wrote:
    > I have a Dell 8400 and the SATA drive that is in it is corrupted and
    > will not boot. I tried installing an IDE drive out of another
    > computer to boot from so I can retrieve files. I set it up so the
    > IDE will boot first and the SATA will boot second. When I start the
    > computer the SATA drive doesn't show up in My Computer or in the
    > Hardware Devices, but it does show up in BIOS. I tired plugging in
    > to SATA0, SATA1 and SATA2, but it won't show up. Is the drive bad or
    > is there something more I need to do for it to show up? Thanks for
    > your help!

    Sounds as the filesystem is corrupted enough that your OS does
    not recognize it anymore. Likely a case for professional
    data recovery or restoration from backup.

    Arno

  3. Re: how to use ide as primary to retrieve files off of corrupted sata drive

    Hard drives don't show up in My Computer.
    If it is not in Device Manager or Disk Managment,
    you need SATA drivers (or change them to compat mode in BIOS).

    "dewdew" wrote in message news:79c2e400cea2c@uwe...
    >I have a Dell 8400 and the SATA drive that is in it is corrupted and will not
    > boot. I tried installing an IDE drive out of another computer to boot from so
    > I can retrieve files. I set it up so the IDE will boot first and the SATA
    > will boot second. When I start the computer the SATA drive doesn't show up in
    > My Computer or in the Hardware Devices, but it does show up in BIOS. I tired
    > plugging in to SATA0, SATA1 and SATA2, but it won't show up. Is the drive bad
    > or is there something more I need to do for it to show up? Thanks for your
    > help!

  4. Re: how to use ide as primary to retrieve files off of corruptedsata drive

    dewdew schrieb:
    > I have a Dell 8400 and the SATA drive that is in it is corrupted and will not
    > boot. I tried installing an IDE drive out of another computer to boot from so
    > I can retrieve files. I set it up so the IDE will boot first and the SATA
    > will boot second. When I start the computer the SATA drive doesn't show up in
    > My Computer or in the Hardware Devices, but it does show up in BIOS. I tired
    > plugging in to SATA0, SATA1 and SATA2, but it won't show up. Is the drive bad
    > or is there something more I need to do for it to show up? Thanks for your
    > help!

    If it's only about data recovery, try using a CD/DVD-bootable Linux.
    Surprisingly, Linux often sees what Windows doesn't.

    Jesco

  5. Re: how to use ide as primary to retrieve files off of corrupted sata drive

    It should show up as a drive (Like C: or F in my computer right? Where do I
    install the drivers, the only place I can put them is on my IDE drive. Will
    that work? What is "compat" mode in BIOS. I can't find anything like this.

    Eric Gisin wrote:
    >Hard drives don't show up in My Computer.
    >If it is not in Device Manager or Disk Managment,
    >you need SATA drivers (or change them to compat mode in BIOS).
    >
    >>I have a Dell 8400 and the SATA drive that is in it is corrupted and will not
    >> boot. I tried installing an IDE drive out of another computer to boot from so

    >[quoted text clipped - 4 lines]
    >> or is there something more I need to do for it to show up? Thanks for your
    >> help!

  6. Re: how to use ide as primary to retrieve files off of corrupted sata drive

    I don't have access to anything like this, though.

    Jesco Lincke wrote:
    >dewdew schrieb:
    >> I have a Dell 8400 and the SATA drive that is in it is corrupted and will not
    >> boot. I tried installing an IDE drive out of another computer to boot from so

    >[quoted text clipped - 4 lines]
    >> or is there something more I need to do for it to show up? Thanks for your
    >> help!

    >If it's only about data recovery, try using a CD/DVD-bootable Linux.
    >Surprisingly, Linux often sees what Windows doesn't.
    >
    >Jesco

  7. Re: how to use ide as primary to retrieve files off of corrupted sata drive

    I tried to boot from my XP disc and it also says it cannot find any drives.
    WTF? In the setup menu the drive shows up, but nowhere else. Is the setup
    menu the same as BIOS?

    dewdew wrote:
    >I don't have access to anything like this, though.
    >
    >>dewdew schrieb:
    >>> I have a Dell 8400 and the SATA drive that is in it is corrupted and will not

    >[quoted text clipped - 7 lines]
    >>
    >>Jesco

  8. Re: how to use ide as primary to retrieve files off of corruptedsata drive

    dewdew via HWKB.com schrieb:
    > I don't have access to anything like this, though.
    >
    > Jesco Lincke wrote:
    >> dewdew schrieb:
    >>> I have a Dell 8400 and the SATA drive that is in it is corrupted and will not
    >>> boot. I tried installing an IDE drive out of another computer to boot from so

    >> [quoted text clipped - 4 lines]
    >>> or is there something more I need to do for it to show up? Thanks for your
    >>> help!

    >> If it's only about data recovery, try using a CD/DVD-bootable Linux.
    >> Surprisingly, Linux often sees what Windows doesn't.
    >>
    >> Jesco

    http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html

    If you can't get the CD/DVD done yourself, have a friend do it for you...

  9. Re: how to use ide as primary to retrieve files off of corrupted sata drive

    I can't get anything to recognize the bad S-ATA drive. It does try to boot
    from it when it is the only thing in there (but doesn't make it all the way,)
    but can't get it to show up as a second drive when I boot off of another
    drive. What's the deal?

    Jesco Lincke wrote:
    >dewdew via HWKB.com schrieb:
    >> I don't have access to anything like this, though.
    >>

    >[quoted text clipped - 8 lines]
    >>>
    >>> Jesco

    >http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html
    >
    >If you can't get the CD/DVD done yourself, have a friend do it for you...

  10. Re: how to use ide as primary to retrieve files off of corrupted sata drive

    dewdew via HWKB.com wrote in news:7a0ec37e6e990@uwe
    > I can't get anything to recognize the bad S-ATA drive. It does try to boot
    > from it when it is the only thing in there (but doesn't make it all the way,)
    > but can't get it to show up as a second drive when I boot off of another
    > drive.

    > What's the deal?

    What exactly did you not understand in the answers given to you?

    > Jesco Lincke wrote:
    > > dewdew via HWKB.com schrieb:
    > > > I don't have access to anything like this, though.
    > > >

    > > [quoted text clipped - 8 lines]

    > > http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html
    > >
    > > If you can't get the CD/DVD done yourself, have a friend do it for you...

+ Reply to Thread