Any external 1GB drives that DON'T use two physical drives? - Storage

This is a discussion on Any external 1GB drives that DON'T use two physical drives? - Storage ; Now that 1TB 3.5" drives are out, are any of the more reliable companies using them in their external drives? I hate my old Lacie 500GB drives that use 2x250GB in a metal case. They weigh a ton and are ...

  1. Any external 1GB drives that DON'T use two physical drives?

    Now that 1TB 3.5" drives are out, are any of the more reliable companies
    using them in their external drives?

    I hate my old Lacie 500GB drives that use 2x250GB in a metal case. They
    weigh a ton and are huge.

    Any my Formac 500GB is huge AND sounds like a helicopter.

    Cheers,

    Fred.

  2. Re: Any external 1GB drives that DON'T use two physical drives?

    Am 15.10.2007 07:10 Fred Finisterre wrote

    > I hate my old Lacie 500GB drives that use 2x250GB in a metal case. They
    > weigh a ton and are huge.
    >
    > Any my Formac 500GB is huge AND sounds like a helicopter.

    Why not just ditch those "Ready-to-Plugin" solutions and build one
    yourself. All you need is the preferred harddrive of your choice and a
    good external disk-enclosure.

    The one I use is: Stardom iTank-i302

    http://www.stardom.com.tw/itank%20i302.htm

    It is aluminium, thus has no cooling fan, and can be used either via
    USB2.0 (Firewire version exists) _and_ eSATA. In addition, and that may
    be the coolest feature, the disks are swappable, meaning, they go into a
    mount-frame, which is compatible with Stardom's internal frame-mounts
    and most of the other models in the iTank/SOHOTANK/SOHORAID series,
    For example the ST1000-2-U5C which I use as well and which has a very
    silent fan, inspite of its small diameter.

    http://www.stardom.com.tw/sohotank%20st1000-2-u5c.htm

    So, get yourself as many SATA disks as you want, get a mountframe for
    each one and ready to swap :-)

    I use an external 500GB this way, via USB2.0 for backup purposes.

    --
    Greetings,
    Andreas M.

  3. Re: Any external 1GB drives that DON'T use two physical drives?

    Andreas M. wrote in news:ff5qut$2qq$1@news.albasani.net
    > Am 15.10.2007 07:10 Fred Finisterre wrote
    >
    > > I hate my old Lacie 500GB drives that use 2x250GB in a metal case. They
    > > weigh a ton and are huge.
    > >
    > > Any my Formac 500GB is huge AND sounds like a helicopter.

    > Why not just ditch those "Ready-to-Plugin" solutions and build one
    > yourself. All you need is the preferred harddrive of your choice and a
    > good external disk-enclosure.
    >
    > The one I use is: Stardom iTank-i302
    >
    > http://www.stardom.com.tw/itank%20i302.htm
    >

    > It is aluminium, thus has no cooling fan,

    Obviously. And that shiny aluminum will transfer the heat just fine.
    So where did they stick that little heatpump to get the heat transfer
    from the disk to the enclosure going?

    > and can be used either via USB2.0 (Firewire version exists) _and_ eSATA.
    > In addition, and that may be the coolest feature, the disks are swappable,
    > meaning, they go into a mount-frame, which is compatible with Stardom's
    > internal frame-mounts and most of the other models in the iTank/SOHO-
    > TANK/SOHORAID series,
    > For example the ST1000-2-U5C which I use as well and which has a very
    > silent fan, inspite of its small diameter.
    >
    > http://www.stardom.com.tw/sohotank%20st1000-2-u5c.htm
    >
    > So, get yourself as many SATA disks as you want, get a mountframe for
    > each one and ready to swap :-)
    >
    > I use an external 500GB this way, via USB2.0 for backup purposes.

  4. Re: Any external 1GB drives that DON'T use two physical drives?

    Previously Andreas M. wrote:
    > Am 15.10.2007 07:10 Fred Finisterre wrote

    >> I hate my old Lacie 500GB drives that use 2x250GB in a metal case. They
    >> weigh a ton and are huge.
    >>
    >> Any my Formac 500GB is huge AND sounds like a helicopter.

    > Why not just ditch those "Ready-to-Plugin" solutions and build one
    > yourself. All you need is the preferred harddrive of your choice and a
    > good external disk-enclosure.

    With a bit of attention to detail, you will get a far better solution
    at a moderate cost increase.

    > The one I use is: Stardom iTank-i302

    > http://www.stardom.com.tw/itank%20i302.htm

    > It is aluminium, thus has no cooling fan, and can be used either via
    > USB2.0 (Firewire version exists) _and_ eSATA. In addition, and that may
    > be the coolest feature, the disks are swappable, meaning, they go into a
    > mount-frame, which is compatible with Stardom's internal frame-mounts
    > and most of the other models in the iTank/SOHOTANK/SOHORAID series,
    > For example the ST1000-2-U5C which I use as well and which has a very
    > silent fan, inspite of its small diameter.

    Careful with fanless enclosures: I tested several disk in
    one (Revoltec Alu Book), and only Smasung disks had power
    consumprion low enough to stay reasonably cool.

    Arno

  5. Re: Any external 1GB drives that DON'T use two physical drives?

    Am 18.10.2007 00:49 Folkert Rienstra wrote

    > Obviously. And that shiny aluminum will transfer the heat just fine.
    > So where did they stick that little heatpump to get the heat transfer
    > from the disk to the enclosure going?

    They did not need to. It has a "grid" at the back, near the PCB to the
    one side and another "grid" is in the front of the mount frame, creating
    air convection cooling.

    I use this for approx 9 months now, without any problems so far. Also,
    it is for my backup disks so I do not run it every day for long times.

    --
    Greetings,
    Andreas M.

  6. Re: Any external 1GB drives that DON'T use two physical drives?

    Am 18.10.2007 07:04 Arno Wagner wrote

    > With a bit of attention to detail, you will get a far better solution
    > at a moderate cost increase.

    What do you mean ?

    I do backup with a dedicated backup program and copying with a
    file-manager. What else could I want ?

    > Careful with fanless enclosures: I tested several disk in
    > one (Revoltec Alu Book), and only Smasung disks had power
    > consumprion low enough to stay reasonably cool.

    Thanks for pointing this out, but the disk is pretty well cooled (air
    convection + aluminium) and it's a backup system, seldomly running, only
    for those backups. I use a Maxtor and a Samsung disk, the latter being
    my main backup drive.

    --
    Greetings,
    Andreas M.

  7. Re: Any external 1GB drives that DON'T use two physical drives?

    Andreas M. wrote in news:ff8hck$rrb$1@news.albasani.net
    > Am 18.10.2007 00:49 Folkert Rienstra wrote
    >
    > > Obviously. And that shiny aluminum will transfer the heat just fine.
    > > So where did they stick that little heatpump to get the heat transfer
    > > from the disk to the enclosure going?

    > They did not need to.

    That's your opinion.

    > It has a "grid" at the back, near the PCB to the one side
    > and another "grid" is in the front of the mount frame,

    > creating air convection cooling.

    Yes, but it's convection path is diagonal, more horizontal than vertical so
    the effect isn't what it could be, and this only in the standing up position.
    The better the convection the better the drive will tranfer the heat to the
    aluminum case too.

    > I use this for approx 9 months now, without any problems so far.

    A drive in a badly designed case would probably last that as well, so
    that doesn't say much.

    > Also, it is for my backup disks so I do not run it every day for long times.

  8. Re: Any external 1GB drives that DON'T use two physical drives?

    I am sure there are others but just today I was reading about one: Buffalo
    has a unit which holds four drives, 1TB each.

    "Fred Finisterre" wrote in message
    > Now that 1TB 3.5" drives are out, are any of the more reliable companies
    > using them in their external drives?
    >
    > I hate my old Lacie 500GB drives that use 2x250GB in a metal case. They
    > weigh a ton and are huge.
    >
    > Any my Formac 500GB is huge AND sounds like a helicopter.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Fred.

+ Reply to Thread