IOPS calculation for SAN Design - Storage

This is a discussion on IOPS calculation for SAN Design - Storage ; Hi, we want to establish a SAN in near future and therefore we calculate the technical basics at the moment. First of all we are interested in disk performance, particularly with regard to iops and throughput. The capacity planer from ...

  1. IOPS calculation for SAN Design

    Hi, we want to establish a SAN in near future and therefore we
    calculate the technical basics at the moment. First of all we are
    interested in disk performance, particularly with regard to iops and
    throughput. The capacity planer from VMware delivers the average
    values of PhysicalDisk\trans, PhysicalDisk\Bytes/s per server and
    overall. According to these results, we have only a few iops (peak
    load 162) with 20 servers. In this analysis I have no declaration of
    the peak value per server, so I tried to find it out with the
    Microsoft perfmon. Here I get some strange values. I logged the disk
    performance with perfmon during one day. Perfmon shows a peak value of
    PhysicalDisk\trans/s of over 2000 (iops) at a server witch two SATA
    disks (Raid-1). The technical datasheet of these disks contain a
    typical value of 85 iops. Can this be true? How can I get realistic
    peak values of really existing iops to make a realistic design?

    Thanks for help,

    Holger

  2. Re: IOPS calculation for SAN Design

    What is the size of the IOs? Is it a serial or random workload? Is there
    any caching at the controller? There are many factors which could impact
    what you see in perfmon.

    wrote in message
    news:1191676278.206488.159320@y42g2000hsy.googlegr oups.com...
    > Hi, we want to establish a SAN in near future and therefore we
    > calculate the technical basics at the moment. First of all we are
    > interested in disk performance, particularly with regard to iops and
    > throughput. The capacity planer from VMware delivers the average
    > values of PhysicalDisk\trans, PhysicalDisk\Bytes/s per server and
    > overall. According to these results, we have only a few iops (peak
    > load 162) with 20 servers. In this analysis I have no declaration of
    > the peak value per server, so I tried to find it out with the
    > Microsoft perfmon. Here I get some strange values. I logged the disk
    > performance with perfmon during one day. Perfmon shows a peak value of
    > PhysicalDisk\trans/s of over 2000 (iops) at a server witch two SATA
    > disks (Raid-1). The technical datasheet of these disks contain a
    > typical value of 85 iops. Can this be true? How can I get realistic
    > peak values of really existing iops to make a realistic design?
    >
    > Thanks for help,
    >
    > Holger

  3. RE: IOPS calculation for SAN Design

    Hi Holger,

    May be you can use IOMeter to compare the reslt.
    URL http://www.iometer.org/

    Thanks,
    Randal

    "hw@hwi-networksecurity.de" wrote:

    > Hi, we want to establish a SAN in near future and therefore we
    > calculate the technical basics at the moment. First of all we are
    > interested in disk performance, particularly with regard to iops and
    > throughput. The capacity planer from VMware delivers the average
    > values of PhysicalDisk\trans, PhysicalDisk\Bytes/s per server and
    > overall. According to these results, we have only a few iops (peak
    > load 162) with 20 servers. In this analysis I have no declaration of
    > the peak value per server, so I tried to find it out with the
    > Microsoft perfmon. Here I get some strange values. I logged the disk
    > performance with perfmon during one day. Perfmon shows a peak value of
    > PhysicalDisk\trans/s of over 2000 (iops) at a server witch two SATA
    > disks (Raid-1). The technical datasheet of these disks contain a
    > typical value of 85 iops. Can this be true? How can I get realistic
    > peak values of really existing iops to make a realistic design?
    >
    > Thanks for help,
    >
    > Holger

+ Reply to Thread