Do they use different fabre cable ? - Storage

This is a discussion on Do they use different fabre cable ? - Storage ; We are using 2Gbps SAN at the present moment and we would like to migrate to 4Gbps SAN in the near future. We would like to know is it necessary for us to change the cable or have to purchase ...

  1. Do they use different fabre cable ?

    We are using 2Gbps SAN at the present moment and we would like to migrate to
    4Gbps SAN in the near future.

    We would like to know is it necessary for us to change the cable or have to
    purchase new cables ?

    Thanks
    Peter

  2. Re: Do they use different fabre cable ?

    "Peter" wrote in message
    > We are using 2Gbps SAN at the present moment and we would like to migrate
    > to 4Gbps SAN in the near future.
    >
    > We would like to know is it necessary for us to change the cable or have
    > to purchase new cables ?

    No. the same multi-mode cable can be used with your 4G equipment. Be aware
    that the maximum cable length for 4G is 70m not 100m.

    Moojit

    > Thanks
    > Peter

  3. Re: Do they use different fabre cable ?

    Dear Moojit,

    I finally find a spare cable. It is made by Tyco Electronics with part
    number 1754714-5. I have searched the web but product detail is no longer
    available in their web site.

    On the other hand, it shows the following information that I don't
    understand. Is there any clue ?
    C/A,2.0MM,PLEN,50/125,LC-LC

    Peter

    "moojit" wrote in message

    > "Peter" wrote in message
    >> We are using 2Gbps SAN at the present moment and we would like to migrate
    >> to 4Gbps SAN in the near future.
    >>
    >> We would like to know is it necessary for us to change the cable or have
    >> to purchase new cables ?

    > No. the same multi-mode cable can be used with your 4G equipment. Be
    > aware that the maximum cable length for 4G is 70m not 100m.
    >
    > Moojit
    >

    >> Thanks
    >> Peter

  4. Re: Do they use different fabre cable ?

    That means: total diameter 2.0mm, plenum rated (for air ducts, etc), 50
    micron core, 125 micron core+cladding, LC connectors on both ends.

    "Peter" wrote in message
    > Dear Moojit,
    >
    > I finally find a spare cable. It is made by Tyco Electronics with part
    > number 1754714-5. I have searched the web but product detail is no longer
    > available in their web site.
    >
    > On the other hand, it shows the following information that I don't
    > understand. Is there any clue ?
    > C/A,2.0MM,PLEN,50/125,LC-LC
    >
    > Peter
    >
    > "moojit" wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Peter" wrote in message
    >>> We are using 2Gbps SAN at the present moment and we would like to
    >>> migrate to 4Gbps SAN in the near future.
    >>>
    >>> We would like to know is it necessary for us to change the cable or have
    >>> to purchase new cables ?

    >> No. the same multi-mode cable can be used with your 4G equipment. Be
    >> aware that the maximum cable length for 4G is 70m not 100m.
    >>
    >> Moojit
    >>

    >>> Thanks
    >>> Peter

  5. Re: Do they use different fabre cable ?

    Dear Kenny,

    Many thanks for your advice. From the specification, can we find out which
    speed it supports OR generally speaking all fibre cables supports both 2G
    and 4G speed ?

    Peter

    "Kenny Speer" wrote in message
    > That means: total diameter 2.0mm, plenum rated (for air ducts, etc), 50
    > micron core, 125 micron core+cladding, LC connectors on both ends.
    >

    > "Peter" wrote in message
    >> Dear Moojit,
    >>
    >> I finally find a spare cable. It is made by Tyco Electronics with part
    >> number 1754714-5. I have searched the web but product detail is no
    >> longer available in their web site.
    >>
    >> On the other hand, it shows the following information that I don't
    >> understand. Is there any clue ?
    >> C/A,2.0MM,PLEN,50/125,LC-LC
    >>
    >> Peter
    >>
    >> "moojit" wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Peter" wrote in message

    >>> No. the same multi-mode cable can be used with your 4G equipment. Be
    >>> aware that the maximum cable length for 4G is 70m not 100m.
    >>>
    >>> Moojit

  6. Re: Do they use different fabre cable ?

    It's multimode cable, it will support both, and 8G when it's available and
    10G ethernet, etc.

    As stated earlier on this thead, you have to be careful about your
    distances.

    ~kenny

    "Peter" wrote in message
    > Dear Kenny,
    >
    > Many thanks for your advice. From the specification, can we find out
    > which speed it supports OR generally speaking all fibre cables supports
    > both 2G and 4G speed ?
    >
    > Peter
    >
    > "Kenny Speer" wrote in message
    >> That means: total diameter 2.0mm, plenum rated (for air ducts, etc), 50
    >> micron core, 125 micron core+cladding, LC connectors on both ends.
    >>

    >> "Peter" wrote in message
    >>> Dear Moojit,
    >>>
    >>> I finally find a spare cable. It is made by Tyco Electronics with part
    >>> number 1754714-5. I have searched the web but product detail is no
    >>> longer available in their web site.
    >>>
    >>> On the other hand, it shows the following information that I don't
    >>> understand. Is there any clue ?
    >>> C/A,2.0MM,PLEN,50/125,LC-LC
    >>>
    >>> Peter
    >>>
    >>> "moojit" wrote in message

  7. Re: Do they use different fabre cable ?

    Dear kenny,

    Do you know that it is multi-mode by the core is 50 micron?

    > It's multimode cable, it will support both, and 8G when it's available and
    > 10G ethernet, etc.
    >
    > As stated earlier on this thead, you have to be careful about your
    > distances.
    >
    > ~kenny
    >
    > "Peter" wrote in message
    >> Dear Kenny,
    >>
    >> Many thanks for your advice. From the specification, can we find out
    >> which speed it supports OR generally speaking all fibre cables supports
    >> both 2G and 4G speed ?
    >>
    >> Peter
    >>
    >> "Kenny Speer" wrote in message
    >>> That means: total diameter 2.0mm, plenum rated (for air ducts, etc), 50
    >>> micron core, 125 micron core+cladding, LC connectors on both ends.
    >>>

    >>> "Peter" wrote in message

  8. Re: Do they use different fabre cable ?

    Yes, multimode is either 50 or 62.5 micron, and single-mode is 8.5 micron
    core. The smaller core in single-mode provides for less dispersion. This
    is why a single singlemode fibre can be km in length without the need for
    repeaters. Multimode is much easier to produce and maintain due to the
    larger core (don't have to be as exact when splicing/terminating) which is
    why it's more prevalent in datacenter applications.

    ~kenny

    "Peter" wrote in message
    > Dear kenny,
    >
    > Do you know that it is multi-mode by the core is 50 micron?
    >
    > Peter
    >

    > "Kenny Speer" wrote in message
    >> It's multimode cable, it will support both, and 8G when it's available
    >> and 10G ethernet, etc.
    >>
    >> As stated earlier on this thead, you have to be careful about your
    >> distances.
    >>
    >> ~kenny
    >>
    >> "Peter" wrote in message
    >>> Dear Kenny,
    >>>
    >>> Many thanks for your advice. From the specification, can we find out
    >>> which speed it supports OR generally speaking all fibre cables supports
    >>> both 2G and 4G speed ?
    >>>
    >>> Peter
    >>>
    >>> "Kenny Speer" wrote in message

  9. Re: Do they use different fabre cable ?

    Dear Kenny,

    Many thanks for your advice. It is much appreciated.

    > Yes, multimode is either 50 or 62.5 micron, and single-mode is 8.5 micron
    > core. The smaller core in single-mode provides for less dispersion. This
    > is why a single singlemode fibre can be km in length without the need for
    > repeaters. Multimode is much easier to produce and maintain due to the
    > larger core (don't have to be as exact when splicing/terminating) which is
    > why it's more prevalent in datacenter applications.
    >
    > ~kenny
    >
    > "Peter" wrote in message
    >> Dear kenny,
    >>
    >> Do you know that it is multi-mode by the core is 50 micron?
    >>
    >> Peter
    >>

    >> "Kenny Speer" wrote in message
    >>> It's multimode cable, it will support both, and 8G when it's available
    >>> and 10G ethernet, etc.
    >>>
    >>> As stated earlier on this thead, you have to be careful about your
    >>> distances.
    >>>
    >>> ~kenny
    >>>
    >>> "Peter" wrote in message

+ Reply to Thread