Wintarget available with Storage Server 2003 R2? - Storage

This is a discussion on Wintarget available with Storage Server 2003 R2? - Storage ; Hi there, we have just Purchased a Dell Server with Windows Storage Server 2003 R2 installed. We specifically wanted to create iSCSI targets in order to present them to some of our other servers but it seems that the Wintarget ...

  1. Wintarget available with Storage Server 2003 R2?

    Hi there,

    we have just Purchased a Dell Server with Windows Storage Server 2003 R2
    installed.

    We specifically wanted to create iSCSI targets in order to present them to
    some of our other servers but it seems that the Wintarget software that i
    believed was included now with the R2 version of this product is not
    installed.

    Does anyone know if this should have been included or will be included at a
    later date (and if so will it be a download we can integrate)

    I found the following pages that led me to believe this would now be
    available - given that they where written over a year and a half ago.

    http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/p...4-04SNWPR.mspx
    "Simple SAN is a Microsoft partner program that helps ensure that SAN
    solutions for the Windows platform are easy to deploy, robust and
    serviceable and that they provide the programmatic framework to help meet
    the needs of small and medium-sized business customers. Today at Storage
    Networking World, strategic vendors EqualLogic, Hitachi Data Systems and IBM
    are showcasing Simple SAN-designated solutions. Solutions from IBM and
    EqualLogic are new Simple SAN designations this month. IBM's solution
    integrates with QLogic Host Bus Adapters, QLogic switches and QLogic Virtual
    Disk Service application for storage management and provisioning. EqualLogic's
    array includes Microsoft iSCSI Software Initiator and Microsoft Storage
    Manager for SANs."

    and

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...tringbean.mspx

    any help greatly appreciated.

    regards

    Pete

  2. Re: Wintarget available with Storage Server 2003 R2?

    iSCSI target is not included in it. . It is available as an application pack
    for the Standard and Enterprise Editions for a fee.

    "Pete" wrote in message
    > Hi there,
    >
    > we have just Purchased a Dell Server with Windows Storage Server 2003 R2
    > installed.
    >
    > We specifically wanted to create iSCSI targets in order to present them to
    > some of our other servers but it seems that the Wintarget software that i
    > believed was included now with the R2 version of this product is not
    > installed.
    >
    > Does anyone know if this should have been included or will be included at
    > a later date (and if so will it be a download we can integrate)
    >
    > I found the following pages that led me to believe this would now be
    > available - given that they where written over a year and a half ago.
    >

    > http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/p...4-04SNWPR.mspx
    > "Simple SAN is a Microsoft partner program that helps ensure that SAN
    > solutions for the Windows platform are easy to deploy, robust and
    > serviceable and that they provide the programmatic framework to help meet
    > the needs of small and medium-sized business customers. Today at Storage
    > Networking World, strategic vendors EqualLogic, Hitachi Data Systems and
    > IBM are showcasing Simple SAN-designated solutions. Solutions from IBM and
    > EqualLogic are new Simple SAN designations this month. IBM's solution
    > integrates with QLogic Host Bus Adapters, QLogic switches and QLogic
    > Virtual Disk Service application for storage management and provisioning.
    > EqualLogic's array includes Microsoft iSCSI Software Initiator and
    > Microsoft Storage Manager for SANs."
    >
    > and
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...tringbean.mspx
    >
    > any help greatly appreciated.
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Pete

  3. Re: Wintarget available with Storage Server 2003 R2?

    Pete wrote:
    > Hi there,
    >
    > we have just Purchased a Dell Server with Windows Storage Server 2003 R2
    > installed.
    >
    > We specifically wanted to create iSCSI targets in order to present them
    > to some of our other servers but it seems that the Wintarget software
    > that i believed was included now with the R2 version of this product is
    > not installed.

    Pete, I feel for you man. At this time I think that this is a still a
    lofty wildly expensive technology that you will not be able to get from
    Microsoft for a couple of years without emptying out your checkbook.

    In a pinch you might want to check out Nimbus Datas iSCSI target

    http://www.nimbusdata.com/products/mysan/mysan.htm

    I think right now the SAN market is so lucrative that nobody wants to
    ruin it by creating a cheap/free solution that will eat at everyones fat
    margins.

    -Johnny

  4. Re: Wintarget available with Storage Server 2003 R2?

    Storage Server R2 does not include iSCSI, but the WUDSS solution from Dell
    (NX1950) - which is a superset of the R2 functionality does.

    More on iSCSI/WUDSS
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...age/wudss.mspx

    As far as getting the bits, you'll need to contact Dell & ask if they have
    an upgrade for the model purchased.

    Pat

    "Johnny" wrote in message
    > Pete wrote:
    >> Hi there,
    >>
    >> we have just Purchased a Dell Server with Windows Storage Server 2003 R2
    >> installed.
    >>
    >> We specifically wanted to create iSCSI targets in order to present them
    >> to some of our other servers but it seems that the Wintarget software
    >> that i believed was included now with the R2 version of this product is
    >> not installed.

    > Pete, I feel for you man. At this time I think that this is a still a
    > lofty wildly expensive technology that you will not be able to get from
    > Microsoft for a couple of years without emptying out your checkbook.
    >
    > In a pinch you might want to check out Nimbus Datas iSCSI target
    >
    > http://www.nimbusdata.com/products/mysan/mysan.htm
    >

    > I think right now the SAN market is so lucrative that nobody wants to ruin
    > it by creating a cheap/free solution that will eat at everyones fat
    > margins.
    >

    > -Johnny

+ Reply to Thread