iSCSI software initiator CLI does not work when logged in as non privileged user - Storage

This is a discussion on iSCSI software initiator CLI does not work when logged in as non privileged user - Storage ; Hi folks, I am trying to execute the iSCSI software initiator CLI as a ordinary user (user with no admin priviliges) and i keep getting "access denied" when i run target discovery using the CLI commands (happens with all other ...

  1. iSCSI software initiator CLI does not work when logged in as non privileged user

    Hi folks,

    I am trying to execute the iSCSI software initiator CLI as a ordinary
    user (user with no admin priviliges) and i keep getting "access
    denied" when i run target discovery using the CLI commands (happens
    with all other CLI commands too). It works perfectly if i execute the
    same commands after i have logged in as administrator.

    this begs the question: do i need to write a program that will run in
    user space but use WMI to send commands to the iSCSI initiator service
    that runs with administrator privileges to get around the problem. Or
    is there any other way?

    much obliged for the help
    thanks
    Adarsh

  2. RE: iSCSI software initiator CLI does not work when logged in as non p

    Adarsh,

    The iSCSI Discovery tool iscsicli.exe should be run under the authority of
    an account with administrator privileges. If you wish to perform iSCSI
    operations using the MSiSCSIIintiator_* WMI classes, these operations will
    also need to be run under the authority of an account with administrator
    privileges.

    If you are logged on as an ordinary user, you can use the Windows "runas"
    command to start a command window under the authority of an account with
    administrator privileges, and then run iscsicli.exe from that command window.

    Regards,

    Patrick

    "adarshh@gmail.com" wrote:

    > Hi folks,
    >
    > I am trying to execute the iSCSI software initiator CLI as a ordinary
    > user (user with no admin priviliges) and i keep getting "access
    > denied" when i run target discovery using the CLI commands (happens
    > with all other CLI commands too). It works perfectly if i execute the
    > same commands after i have logged in as administrator.
    >
    > this begs the question: do i need to write a program that will run in
    > user space but use WMI to send commands to the iSCSI initiator service
    > that runs with administrator privileges to get around the problem. Or
    > is there any other way?
    >
    > much obliged for the help
    > thanks
    > Adarsh

  3. Re: iSCSI software initiator CLI does not work when logged in as non p

    Patrick,
    thanks for your help!
    Adarsh
    On Sep 26, 5:48 am, pgarvan wrote:
    > Adarsh,
    >
    > The iSCSI Discovery tool iscsicli.exe should be run under the authority of
    > an account with administrator privileges. If you wish to perform iSCSI
    > operations using the MSiSCSIIintiator_* WMI classes, these operations will
    > also need to be run under the authority of an account with administrator
    > privileges.
    >
    > If you are logged on as an ordinary user, you can use the Windows "runas"
    > command to start a command window under the authority of an account with
    > administrator privileges, and then run iscsicli.exe from that command window.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Patrick
    >
    > "adar...@gmail.com" wrote:
    > > Hi folks,

    > > I am trying to execute the iSCSI software initiator CLI as a ordinary
    > > user (user with no admin priviliges) and i keep getting "access
    > > denied" when i run target discovery using the CLI commands (happens
    > > with all other CLI commands too). It works perfectly if i execute the
    > > same commands after i have logged in as administrator.

    > > this begs the question: do i need to write a program that will run in
    > > user space but use WMI to send commands to the iSCSI initiator service
    > > that runs with administrator privileges to get around the problem. Or
    > > is there any other way?

    > > much obliged for the help
    > > thanks
    > > Adarsh