iSCSI MPIO switch - Storage

This is a discussion on iSCSI MPIO switch - Storage ; Hi, I am setting up an iSCSI dedicated network with - 2 Windows Servers having 2 Gb NIC each - 1 NETAPP Bay having 2 controllers with an Ethernet Gb Interface - 2 Ethernet Switches I am using Microsoft iSCSI ...

  1. iSCSI MPIO switch

    Hi,

    I am setting up an iSCSI dedicated network with
    - 2 Windows Servers having 2 Gb NIC each
    - 1 NETAPP Bay having 2 controllers with an Ethernet Gb Interface
    - 2 Ethernet Switches

    I am using Microsoft iSCSI Initiator and the target is the bay.

    I want the path from the server to the target full redundant, using MPIO.
    So I am planning to connect each server's NIC to one switch, and each switch
    to one Gb Ethernet Controler on the bay.

    My question is: to do this do I need managed Ethernet switches to do this or
    will unmanaged switch be ok ?
    Generally does iSCSI require any special specification on switches ?

    Thanks

    Alex

  2. Re: iSCSI MPIO switch

    "Alex" wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am setting up an iSCSI dedicated network with
    > - 2 Windows Servers having 2 Gb NIC each
    > - 1 NETAPP Bay having 2 controllers with an Ethernet Gb Interface
    > - 2 Ethernet Switches
    >
    > I am using Microsoft iSCSI Initiator and the target is the bay.
    >
    > I want the path from the server to the target full redundant, using MPIO.
    > So I am planning to connect each server's NIC to one switch, and each
    > switch to one Gb Ethernet Controler on the bay.
    >
    > My question is: to do this do I need managed Ethernet switches to do this
    > or will unmanaged switch be ok ?
    > Generally does iSCSI require any special specification on switches ?

    No. Any unmanged layer 2 switch will work.

    > Thanks
    >
    > Alex

  3. Re: iSCSI MPIO switch

    Thanks.

    So I do not need to implement spanning tree protocol (802.1D) to ensure MPIO
    will work proprely ?

    Alex

    "moojit" a écrit dans le message de news:
    46f5de55$0$32468$4c368faf@roadrunner.com...

    > "Alex" wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I am setting up an iSCSI dedicated network with
    >> - 2 Windows Servers having 2 Gb NIC each
    >> - 1 NETAPP Bay having 2 controllers with an Ethernet Gb Interface
    >> - 2 Ethernet Switches
    >>
    >> I am using Microsoft iSCSI Initiator and the target is the bay.
    >>
    >> I want the path from the server to the target full redundant, using MPIO.
    >> So I am planning to connect each server's NIC to one switch, and each
    >> switch to one Gb Ethernet Controler on the bay.
    >>
    >> My question is: to do this do I need managed Ethernet switches to do this
    >> or will unmanaged switch be ok ?
    >> Generally does iSCSI require any special specification on switches ?

    > No. Any unmanged layer 2 switch will work.
    >

    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> Alex

  4. Re: iSCSI MPIO switch

    "Alx" wrote in message
    > Thanks.
    >
    > So I do not need to implement spanning tree protocol (802.1D) to ensure
    > MPIO will work proprely ?

    Spanning tree is implemented by most layer 2 switches - managed or
    unmanaged. An managed switch would allow you to disable spanning tree but
    only under special circumstances would you want to do this.

    Moojit

    > Alex
    >
    > "moojit" a écrit dans le message de news:
    > 46f5de55$0$32468$4c368faf@roadrunner.com...
    >>
    >> "Alex" wrote in message
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> I am setting up an iSCSI dedicated network with
    >>> - 2 Windows Servers having 2 Gb NIC each
    >>> - 1 NETAPP Bay having 2 controllers with an Ethernet Gb Interface
    >>> - 2 Ethernet Switches
    >>>
    >>> I am using Microsoft iSCSI Initiator and the target is the bay.
    >>>
    >>> I want the path from the server to the target full redundant, using
    >>> MPIO.
    >>> So I am planning to connect each server's NIC to one switch, and each
    >>> switch to one Gb Ethernet Controler on the bay.
    >>>
    >>> My question is: to do this do I need managed Ethernet switches to do
    >>> this or will unmanaged switch be ok ?
    >>> Generally does iSCSI require any special specification on switches ?

    >> No. Any unmanged layer 2 switch will work.
    >>

    >>> Thanks
    >>>
    >>> Alex

  5. Re: iSCSI MPIO switch

    Does it means that MPIO require Spanning Tree or not ?

    "moojit" a écrit dans le message de news:
    46f676c5$0$4980$4c368faf@roadrunner.com...

    > "Alx" wrote in message
    >> Thanks.
    >>
    >> So I do not need to implement spanning tree protocol (802.1D) to ensure
    >> MPIO will work proprely ?

    > Spanning tree is implemented by most layer 2 switches - managed or
    > unmanaged. An managed switch would allow you to disable spanning tree but
    > only under special circumstances would you want to do this.
    >
    > Moojit
    >>
    >> Alex
    >>
    >> "moojit" a écrit dans le message de news:
    >> 46f5de55$0$32468$4c368faf@roadrunner.com...
    >>>
    >>> "Alex" wrote in message

    >>> No. Any unmanged layer 2 switch will work.

  6. Re: iSCSI MPIO switch

    "Alx" wrote in message
    > Does it means that MPIO require Spanning Tree or not ?

    No.

    > "moojit" a écrit dans le message de news:
    > 46f676c5$0$4980$4c368faf@roadrunner.com...
    >>
    >> "Alx" wrote in message
    >>> Thanks.
    >>>
    >>> So I do not need to implement spanning tree protocol (802.1D) to ensure
    >>> MPIO will work proprely ?

    >> Spanning tree is implemented by most layer 2 switches - managed or
    >> unmanaged. An managed switch would allow you to disable spanning tree
    >> but only under special circumstances would you want to do this.
    >>
    >> Moojit
    >>>
    >>> Alex
    >>>
    >>> "moojit" a écrit dans le message de news:
    >>> 46f5de55$0$32468$4c368faf@roadrunner.com...

+ Reply to Thread