Cannot grow LUN - Windows 2003 Server - Storage

This is a discussion on Cannot grow LUN - Windows 2003 Server - Storage ; I have a Dell PowerEdge 2900 with a Perc 5/i controller card running Windows 2003 Server. I've got an OS partition that is hardware mirrored and a data partition that is protected with hardware RAID 5. I just added two ...

  1. Cannot grow LUN - Windows 2003 Server

    I have a Dell PowerEdge 2900 with a Perc 5/i controller card running
    Windows 2003 Server. I've got an OS partition that is hardware
    mirrored and a data partition that is protected with hardware RAID 5.
    I just added two more identical drives to the RAID 5 set that brought
    me to 2.7TB. I can see the drive space in the controller
    configuration, but not in Disk Manager. It still shows the 1.3TB
    LUN. I get the following error in my System event viewer:

    Cannot grow LUN Harddisk1: Extending the LDM partition failed

    I've seen that there might be a 2TB limit that you can grow a LUN to,
    is this correct? I also saw that there is a hotfix for this error for
    Windows 2000 server. Anyone have any insight? Thanks...

  2. Re: Cannot grow LUN - Windows 2003 Server

    > I just added two more identical drives to the RAID 5 set
    > that brought
    > me to 2.7TB. I can see the drive space in the
    > controller
    > configuration, but not in Disk Manager. It still shows
    > the 1.3TB
    > LUN. I get the following error in my System event
    > viewer:
    >
    > Cannot grow LUN Harddisk1: Extending the LDM partition
    > failed
    >
    > I've seen that there might be a 2TB limit that you can
    > grow a LUN to,
    > is this correct? I also saw that there is a hotfix for
    > this error for
    > Windows 2000 server. Anyone have any insight?
    > Thanks...

    your data drive must be disk type GPT instead of MBR, what
    it currently is. GPT is what lets you go beyond 2GB. And
    it must be dynamic vs. basic to be expandable vs. not.

    you can convert a basic drive to dynamic after you have
    data on it, but I believe the GPT/MBR decision should have
    been made before you partitioned and formatted that drive.
    I think your only recourse for getting past the 2TB
    barrier is a) redoing all that from scratch, or b) using a
    volume manager like Veritas' Storage Foundation for
    Windows, which would let you concatenate your old data
    volume with a new volume created on the new drives.

    and option 'b' assumes you didn't expand the RAID5 set on
    the controller, but added the 2 new drives to the
    controller as a separate volume -- say another mirror. I
    could be mistaken about this, but I don't think I am...
    never done it in the exact scenario you seem to have
    (expanded RAID set on the controller -- i've only added
    new volumes).

  3. Re: Cannot grow LUN - Windows 2003 Server

    There is a limit to the size of mbr disks. In windows 2000 the limit on the
    size of a disk that the OS could see was 2tb because of this. In 2003, you
    can use GPT disks which can be larger than 2tb..

    Out of the box, windows 2003 32bit uses the protective mbr in GPT
    patrtitioned disk, and can only use them up to 2tb. KB 919117 adds full GPT
    support for disks larger than 2tb to windows 2003 (to include cluster
    support) . Note that you'll need to use the version of diskpart that comes
    with the hotfix to convert the mbr partition to gpt.

    "Phillip Wendell" wrote in message
    news:1190399148.978138.245750@k79g2000hse.googlegr oups.com...
    >I have a Dell PowerEdge 2900 with a Perc 5/i controller card running
    > Windows 2003 Server. I've got an OS partition that is hardware
    > mirrored and a data partition that is protected with hardware RAID 5.
    > I just added two more identical drives to the RAID 5 set that brought
    > me to 2.7TB. I can see the drive space in the controller
    > configuration, but not in Disk Manager. It still shows the 1.3TB
    > LUN. I get the following error in my System event viewer:
    >
    > Cannot grow LUN Harddisk1: Extending the LDM partition failed
    >
    > I've seen that there might be a 2TB limit that you can grow a LUN to,
    > is this correct? I also saw that there is a hotfix for this error for
    > Windows 2000 server. Anyone have any insight? Thanks...

  4. Re: Cannot grow LUN - Windows 2003 Server

    Yes, when you use diskpart to convert mbr to gpt, it can't have any
    partitions on the volume. You would do this before putting any data there.
    If you alrady have partitions and data, then you have to add in a backup
    before you start and restore after you complete the conversion.

    "anon" <12dsd855@133.cn> wrote in message
    >> I just added two more identical drives to the RAID 5 set that brought
    >> me to 2.7TB. I can see the drive space in the controller
    >> configuration, but not in Disk Manager. It still shows the 1.3TB
    >> LUN. I get the following error in my System event viewer:
    >>
    >> Cannot grow LUN Harddisk1: Extending the LDM partition failed
    >>
    >> I've seen that there might be a 2TB limit that you can grow a LUN to,
    >> is this correct? I also saw that there is a hotfix for this error for
    >> Windows 2000 server. Anyone have any insight? Thanks...
    >>

    > your data drive must be disk type GPT instead of MBR, what it currently
    > is. GPT is what lets you go beyond 2GB. And it must be dynamic vs. basic
    > to be expandable vs. not.
    >
    > you can convert a basic drive to dynamic after you have data on it, but I
    > believe the GPT/MBR decision should have been made before you partitioned
    > and formatted that drive. I think your only recourse for getting past the
    > 2TB barrier is a) redoing all that from scratch, or b) using a volume
    > manager like Veritas' Storage Foundation for Windows, which would let you
    > concatenate your old data volume with a new volume created on the new
    > drives.
    >
    > and option 'b' assumes you didn't expand the RAID5 set on the controller,
    > but added the 2 new drives to the controller as a separate volume -- say
    > another mirror. I could be mistaken about this, but I don't think I am...
    > never done it in the exact scenario you seem to have (expanded RAID set on
    > the controller -- i've only added new volumes).

  5. Re: Cannot grow LUN - Windows 2003 Server

    That answered my question. Looks like I will need to reload the
    data. I appreciate it...

+ Reply to Thread