Mystery Removeable Disk Drive - Storage

This is a discussion on Mystery Removeable Disk Drive - Storage ; In addition to the standard A & C drives, I have an additional HD partitioned into drives D & E, plus 2 additional removable disc drives F & G. Occasionally, I add an external HD (USB) temporarily for backup purposes. ...

  1. Mystery Removeable Disk Drive

    In addition to the standard A & C drives, I have an additional HD
    partitioned into drives D & E, plus 2 additional removable disc
    drives F & G. Occasionally, I add an external HD (USB) temporarily for
    backup purposes.

    Initially, the external HD was set as the H drive. Somewhere along the way,
    my comp decided this drive should be the I drive, and added a new mysterious
    removable drive which it decided to call H. The H drive now insists I
    should inset a disk every time I try to do something with it.

    How do I get rid of this H drive, and get my external back to being the H
    drive?

    Win XP SP2

    Thx
    Dave

  2. Re: Mystery Removeable Disk Drive

    Dave wrote:
    > In addition to the standard A & C drives, I have an additional HD
    > partitioned into drives D & E, plus 2 additional removable disc
    > drives F & G. Occasionally, I add an external HD (USB) temporarily for
    > backup purposes.
    >
    > Initially, the external HD was set as the H drive. Somewhere along the way,
    > my comp decided this drive should be the I drive, and added a new mysterious
    > removable drive which it decided to call H. The H drive now insists I
    > should inset a disk every time I try to do something with it.
    >
    > How do I get rid of this H drive, and get my external back to being the H
    > drive?
    >
    > Win XP SP2
    >
    > Thx
    > Dave

    You didn't say what type of computer you had. In Windows (2000/XP), you
    have access the DISK MANAGER by either the control panel, or by right
    clicking the "MY COMPUTER" icon, and choosing the MANAGE tab. The DISK
    MANAGER allows you to manage the partitions on the computer. You can
    even rename Drive letters. The fact that your computer gave you an "I"
    drive, means something else took the slot for "H". Did you use a USB
    Drive? It may be the drive is still mounted, even though you have
    removed it. After you safely remove the drive (ICON in SYSTEM TRAY), go
    to disk manager and remove the partition. That will then free up the
    space for your permanent partition. Look at the drive maps in the DISK
    MANAGER to find out what is allocating the space. Hope that helps.

+ Reply to Thread