Multipathing with Windows 2k3 - Storage

This is a discussion on Multipathing with Windows 2k3 - Storage ; I am trying to connect Windows Storage Server 2003 R2 to my SAN via a QLogic Fibre contoller. When viewing available disks there are two instances of every disk which I assume is because my SAN has two controllers and ...

  1. Multipathing with Windows 2k3

    I am trying to connect Windows Storage Server 2003 R2 to my SAN via a QLogic
    Fibre contoller. When viewing available disks there are two instances of
    every disk which I assume is because my SAN has two controllers and I do not
    have multipathing configured on my server. I have not been able to find any
    information in the windows help files on how to install/setup MPIO. Any
    help on this would be greately appriciated.

  2. Re: Multipathing with Windows 2k3

    "capn_slagg" wrote in message
    >I am trying to connect Windows Storage Server 2003 R2 to my SAN via a
    >QLogic Fibre contoller. When viewing available disks there are two
    >instances of every disk which I assume is because my SAN has two
    >controllers and I do not have multipathing configured on my server. I have
    >not been able to find any information in the windows help files on how to
    >install/setup MPIO. Any help on this would be greately appriciated.

    You need some type of host failover software running on your initiator which
    is typically provided by the storage target vendor. Qlogic has generic
    failover support called QLDirect that is installed with their Sansurfer
    application. QLDirect may or may not support your storage.

    The Moojit

  3. Re: Multipathing with Windows 2k3

    Microsoft MPIO is distributed via OEMs that write components specific to
    their hardware. If you want Microsoft MPIO, you might try your server
    vendor. Otherwise, you might try your HBA vendor's offerings.

    "capn_slagg" wrote in message
    >I am trying to connect Windows Storage Server 2003 R2 to my SAN via a
    >QLogic Fibre contoller. When viewing available disks there are two
    >instances of every disk which I assume is because my SAN has two
    >controllers and I do not have multipathing configured on my server. I have
    >not been able to find any information in the windows help files on how to
    >install/setup MPIO. Any help on this would be greately appriciated.

  4. RE: Multipathing with Windows 2k3

    Hi,

    May be you can have a look the Microsoft Multipath I/O FAQ and see if you
    can find a solution.

    URL
    http://www.microsoft.com/WindowsServ.../mpio/faq.mspx

    FYI. IBM SAN will come with the RDAC software. When you installing the
    storage manager you can select to install the RDAC software as well.

    Thanks,
    Randal

    "capn_slagg" wrote:

    > I am trying to connect Windows Storage Server 2003 R2 to my SAN via a QLogic
    > Fibre contoller. When viewing available disks there are two instances of
    > every disk which I assume is because my SAN has two controllers and I do not
    > have multipathing configured on my server. I have not been able to find any
    > information in the windows help files on how to install/setup MPIO. Any
    > help on this would be greately appriciated.

+ Reply to Thread