Two servers accessing the one raid array? - Storage

This is a discussion on Two servers accessing the one raid array? - Storage ; Firstly i have a basic knowledge of servers, networking etc. I'm a developer by trade. I have two servers (Win2K3 R2 SP1) that are attached to a scsi raid array. They used to be part of a cluster, but are ...

  1. Two servers accessing the one raid array?

    Firstly i have a basic knowledge of servers, networking etc. I'm a developer
    by trade.

    I have two servers (Win2K3 R2 SP1) that are attached to a scsi raid array.
    They used to be part of a cluster, but are not anymore. They can both see
    the the three logical disks that were created for the cluster.

    If i am using server 1 and copy data to drive F, server 2 does not see that
    drive F has any data in it. What do i need to do to have this happenning?

  2. Re: Two servers accessing the one raid array?

    Your current configuration is not going to work and will cause NTFS file
    system corruption. NTFS cannot handle simultaneous access.

    MSCS is a "shared nothing" cluster so both servers do not really access the
    file system at the same time. MSCS adds a filter driver to control access so
    only one node ever touches the file system at a time.

    Bottom line, NTFS will not support what you are attempting to do.

    Regards,
    John

    Visit my blog: http://msmvps.com/blogs/jtoner

    "newbie77" wrote in message
    > Firstly i have a basic knowledge of servers, networking etc. I'm a

    developer
    > by trade.
    >
    > I have two servers (Win2K3 R2 SP1) that are attached to a scsi raid array.
    > They used to be part of a cluster, but are not anymore. They can both see
    > the the three logical disks that were created for the cluster.
    >
    > If i am using server 1 and copy data to drive F, server 2 does not see

    that
    > drive F has any data in it. What do i need to do to have this happenning?

+ Reply to Thread