Storage server 2003 - Storage

This is a discussion on Storage server 2003 - Storage ; I have recently received a Dell power edge 840 with the 64bit version of storage server for workgroups. I have installed IIS and created a small web site to try to run a intranet. The problem is that I can ...

  1. Storage server 2003

    I have recently received a Dell power edge 840 with the 64bit version of
    storage server for workgroups.

    I have installed IIS and created a small web site to try to run a intranet.
    The problem is that I can not access it at all. I can ping the IP address
    and share files.

    I have not installed any licenses for it as it says it doesn't need them.

    The other thing is that storage server looks and acts very much like other
    server versions so any feature seems to be able to be installed. For
    example. It says that it can not be a domain controller but I have set it up
    to be one.
    It is now only used in a workgroup.

    Is the reason for clients not being able to connect to the storage server in
    IIS because I have no licenses?

    Also, I have installed IIS on my XP pro machine and the storage server can
    connect to that, no problem!

    I would appreciate some advice.

    Many thanks in advance,

    Andrew

  2. Re: Storage server 2003

    Storage Server is not licensed to be a web server. The IIS instance is for
    administrative tasks only.

    Pat

    "Andtheace" wrote in message
    newsB4D1144-E3EC-469A-8AB2-DEA19BC79639@microsoft.com...
    >I have recently received a Dell power edge 840 with the 64bit version of
    > storage server for workgroups.
    >
    > I have installed IIS and created a small web site to try to run a
    > intranet.
    > The problem is that I can not access it at all. I can ping the IP address
    > and share files.
    >
    > I have not installed any licenses for it as it says it doesn't need them.
    >
    > The other thing is that storage server looks and acts very much like other
    > server versions so any feature seems to be able to be installed. For
    > example. It says that it can not be a domain controller but I have set it
    > up
    > to be one.
    > It is now only used in a workgroup.
    >
    > Is the reason for clients not being able to connect to the storage server
    > in
    > IIS because I have no licenses?
    >
    > Also, I have installed IIS on my XP pro machine and the storage server can
    > connect to that, no problem!
    >
    > I would appreciate some advice.
    >
    > Many thanks in advance,
    >
    > Andrew