Will data be lost ? - Storage

This is a discussion on Will data be lost ? - Storage ; If we move 2 HD (RAID 1) from Server A to Server B that also has a hardware RAID controller, is it possible for us to keep the data in the original HDs ? Thanks Peter...

  1. Will data be lost ?

    If we move 2 HD (RAID 1) from Server A to Server B that also has a hardware
    RAID controller, is it possible for us to keep the data in the original HDs
    ?

    Thanks
    Peter

  2. Re: Will data be lost ?

    yes, you just have to configure the controler with the same configure that
    was previoulys configured. DO NOT initiate the logical volume.

    "Peter" wrote in message
    > If we move 2 HD (RAID 1) from Server A to Server B that also has a
    > hardware RAID controller, is it possible for us to keep the data in the
    > original HDs ?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Peter

  3. Re: Will data be lost ?

    Dear Gabe,

    I am using DELL PowerEdge Server with Raid Controller.

    Could it be possible for you to elaborate how to use the original
    configuration ? Do you mean the setting in BIOS ?

    Peter

    "Gabe Matteson" wrote in message
    > yes, you just have to configure the controler with the same configure that
    > was previoulys configured. DO NOT initiate the logical volume.
    >
    > "Peter" wrote in message
    >> If we move 2 HD (RAID 1) from Server A to Server B that also has a
    >> hardware RAID controller, is it possible for us to keep the data in the
    >> original HDs ?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >> Peter

  4. Re: Will data be lost ?

    sure, first make sure you put the hard drives in the new server in the same
    order! (help with configuration) in the bios on boot up when it starts to
    boot the perc raid controller, hit ctrl+m. this will bring you to the
    configuration prompt. hit enter, select new configuration, select yes
    then hit enter on drive 1 then use the arrow keys and hit enter on drive 2.
    hit the space bar after both are selected, hit f10 then select the down
    arrow hit f10 again and then enter to accept the configuration. now your
    done!

    before you do any of this though i would WRITE down the current
    configuration of your existing server. the stripe size, which hard drive is
    the first one in the raid 1 array. of course i would take a backup of the
    data first before you migrate the drives or a ghost image just in case you
    make a mistake at least you can configure the drives how you wish then just
    restore the data simple!

    "Peter" wrote in message
    > Dear Gabe,
    >
    > I am using DELL PowerEdge Server with Raid Controller.
    >
    > Could it be possible for you to elaborate how to use the original
    > configuration ? Do you mean the setting in BIOS ?
    >
    > Peter
    >
    > "Gabe Matteson" wrote in message
    >> yes, you just have to configure the controler with the same configure
    >> that was previoulys configured. DO NOT initiate the logical volume.
    >>
    >> "Peter" wrote in message
    >>> If we move 2 HD (RAID 1) from Server A to Server B that also has a
    >>> hardware RAID controller, is it possible for us to keep the data in the
    >>> original HDs ?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>> Peter

  5. Re: Will data be lost ?

    Dear Gabe,

    Many thanks for your advice and I get better understanding of the procedure.

    I would like to ask
    1) How can we distinguish the HD to be the first or second one ?
    2) From my understanding, both of the them should be identical (As they are
    mirrored), what is the difference between them so that we have to consider
    the sequence ?

    > sure, first make sure you put the hard drives in the new server in the
    > same order! (help with configuration) in the bios on boot up when it
    > starts to boot the perc raid controller, hit ctrl+m. this will bring you
    > to the configuration prompt. hit enter, select new configuration, select
    > yes
    > then hit enter on drive 1 then use the arrow keys and hit enter on drive
    > 2. hit the space bar after both are selected, hit f10 then select the down
    > arrow hit f10 again and then enter to accept the configuration. now your
    > done!
    >
    > before you do any of this though i would WRITE down the current
    > configuration of your existing server. the stripe size, which hard drive
    > is the first one in the raid 1 array. of course i would take a backup of
    > the data first before you migrate the drives or a ghost image just in case
    > you make a mistake at least you can configure the drives how you wish then
    > just restore the data simple!
    >
    > "Peter" wrote in message
    >> Dear Gabe,
    >>
    >> I am using DELL PowerEdge Server with Raid Controller.
    >>
    >> Could it be possible for you to elaborate how to use the original
    >> configuration ? Do you mean the setting in BIOS ?
    >>
    >> Peter
    >>
    >> "Gabe Matteson" wrote in message
    >>> yes, you just have to configure the controler with the same configure
    >>> that was previoulys configured. DO NOT initiate the logical volume.
    >>>
    >>> "Peter" wrote in message

+ Reply to Thread