Tracing Physical to logical - Storage

This is a discussion on Tracing Physical to logical - Storage ; I was wondering how i should go about tracing my storage. I have a few servers that have serveral SCSI and Fiber storage units attached to them and i need to figure out what drivers are what... for instance i ...

  1. Tracing Physical to logical

    I was wondering how i should go about tracing my storage.

    I have a few servers that have serveral SCSI and Fiber storage units
    attached to them and i need to figure out what drivers are what...

    for instance i have an array of 10 disks that are one RAID 5 and have split
    it in to two logical disks on the raid unit which will then show as 2
    physical disks to windows... which can then be broken up in to more logical
    disks...

    i realize this setup is bad, and i dont even have it... but its a fairly
    complexe setup and if i can learn how to trace this i can probably do most
    anything

    We are just having some disk I/O issues and im just not sure what data is on
    what physical disk. my biggest problem is that when windows sees a new disk
    it simply just called it Diskx. how can i trace Diskx to a raid unit? or
    perhaps a scsi/fiber card/channel?

    Thanks
    Justin

  2. Re: Tracing Physical to logical

    diskpart is your friend here.

    just type diskpart at the command prompt and then help.

    ~kenny

    "Justin Rich" wrote in message
    >I was wondering how i should go about tracing my storage.
    >
    > I have a few servers that have serveral SCSI and Fiber storage units
    > attached to them and i need to figure out what drivers are what...
    >
    > for instance i have an array of 10 disks that are one RAID 5 and have
    > split it in to two logical disks on the raid unit which will then show as
    > 2 physical disks to windows... which can then be broken up in to more
    > logical disks...
    >
    > i realize this setup is bad, and i dont even have it... but its a fairly
    > complexe setup and if i can learn how to trace this i can probably do most
    > anything
    >
    > We are just having some disk I/O issues and im just not sure what data is
    > on what physical disk. my biggest problem is that when windows sees a new
    > disk it simply just called it Diskx. how can i trace Diskx to a raid unit?
    > or perhaps a scsi/fiber card/channel?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Justin

  3. Re: Tracing Physical to logical

    I dont suppose anyone has a script that will just go through and dump all
    the disk info do they?

    Thanks
    Justin

    "Kenny Speer" wrote in message
    > diskpart is your friend here.
    >
    > just type diskpart at the command prompt and then help.
    >
    > ~kenny
    >
    > "Justin Rich" wrote in message
    >>I was wondering how i should go about tracing my storage.
    >>
    >> I have a few servers that have serveral SCSI and Fiber storage units
    >> attached to them and i need to figure out what drivers are what...
    >>
    >> for instance i have an array of 10 disks that are one RAID 5 and have
    >> split it in to two logical disks on the raid unit which will then show as
    >> 2 physical disks to windows... which can then be broken up in to more
    >> logical disks...
    >>
    >> i realize this setup is bad, and i dont even have it... but its a fairly
    >> complexe setup and if i can learn how to trace this i can probably do
    >> most anything
    >>
    >> We are just having some disk I/O issues and im just not sure what data is
    >> on what physical disk. my biggest problem is that when windows sees a new
    >> disk it simply just called it Diskx. how can i trace Diskx to a raid
    >> unit? or perhaps a scsi/fiber card/channel?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >> Justin

+ Reply to Thread