Using iSCSI Discovery Library Routines in a StorPort miniport driv - Storage

This is a discussion on Using iSCSI Discovery Library Routines in a StorPort miniport driv - Storage ; Hi, I'm writing my own iSCSI initiator driver as a StorPort miniport driver. My question is: can I use iSCSI discovery library routines (e.g. LoginIScsiTarget, LogoutIScsiTarget etc) with my driver? What do I need to do in order to use ...

  1. Using iSCSI Discovery Library Routines in a StorPort miniport driv

    Hi,

    I'm writing my own iSCSI initiator driver as a StorPort miniport driver. My
    question is: can I use iSCSI discovery library routines (e.g.
    LoginIScsiTarget, LogoutIScsiTarget etc) with my driver? What do I need to do
    in order to use these routines? I guess that I need to tell the OS somehow
    that my driver is an iSCSI driver.

    Thanks,
    Erez

  2. Re: Using iSCSI Discovery Library Routines in a StorPort miniport driv

    Your approach is fundamentally wrong. Do complete redesign. Dump
    StorPort miniport
    and write down full blown SCSI port driver with the iSCSI as lower
    edge. As Rocket Division Software and Microsoft did...

    Anton

    On Jul 17, 10:48 am, Erez Zilber Zil...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm writing my own iSCSI initiator driver as a StorPort miniport driver. My
    > question is: can I use iSCSI discovery library routines (e.g.
    > LoginIScsiTarget, LogoutIScsiTarget etc) with my driver? What do I need to do
    > in order to use these routines? I guess that I need to tell the OS somehow
    > that my driver is an iSCSI driver.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Erez

  3. Re: Using iSCSI Discovery Library Routines in a StorPort miniport

    Can you explain why should I use SCSIport instead of StorPort? As I
    understand
    (http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...b/Storport.doc), StorPort has better performance than the old SCSIport.

    Anyway, my question wasn't about SCSIport/StorPort. I was asking about how
    to use iSCSI Discovery Library Routines in a StorPort miniport.

    Thanks,
    Erez

    "KOOLER" wrote:

    > Your approach is fundamentally wrong. Do complete redesign. Dump
    > StorPort miniport
    > and write down full blown SCSI port driver with the iSCSI as lower
    > edge. As Rocket Division Software and Microsoft did...
    >
    > Anton
    >
    > On Jul 17, 10:48 am, Erez Zilber > Zil...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I'm writing my own iSCSI initiator driver as a StorPort miniport driver. My
    > > question is: can I use iSCSI discovery library routines (e.g.
    > > LoginIScsiTarget, LogoutIScsiTarget etc) with my driver? What do I need to do
    > > in order to use these routines? I guess that I need to tell the OS somehow
    > > that my driver is an iSCSI driver.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > Erez

  4. Re: Using iSCSI Discovery Library Routines in a StorPort miniport

    He doesn't. He says you should not attempt to write a miniport for either
    scsiport or storport, and instead write your own full port driver or SCSI
    port.

    "Erez Zilber" wrote in message
    > Can you explain why should I use SCSIport instead of StorPort? As I
    > understand
    > (http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...b/Storport.doc),
    > StorPort has better performance than the old SCSIport.
    >
    > Anyway, my question wasn't about SCSIport/StorPort. I was asking about how
    > to use iSCSI Discovery Library Routines in a StorPort miniport.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Erez
    >
    > "KOOLER" wrote:
    >
    >> Your approach is fundamentally wrong. Do complete redesign. Dump
    >> StorPort miniport
    >> and write down full blown SCSI port driver with the iSCSI as lower
    >> edge. As Rocket Division Software and Microsoft did...
    >>
    >> Anton
    >>
    >> On Jul 17, 10:48 am, Erez Zilber >> Zil...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >> > Hi,
    >> >
    >> > I'm writing my own iSCSI initiator driver as a StorPort miniport
    >> > driver. My
    >> > question is: can I use iSCSI discovery library routines (e.g.
    >> > LoginIScsiTarget, LogoutIScsiTarget etc) with my driver? What do I need
    >> > to do
    >> > in order to use these routines? I guess that I need to tell the OS
    >> > somehow
    >> > that my driver is an iSCSI driver.
    >> >
    >> > Thanks,
    >> > Erez