Do we create partitions in a LUN ? - Storage

This is a discussion on Do we create partitions in a LUN ? - Storage ; I would like to know in what circumstances do we create partitions in a LUN (SAN) ? Thanks...

  1. Do we create partitions in a LUN ?

    I would like to know in what circumstances do we create partitions in a LUN
    (SAN) ?

    Thanks

  2. Re: Do we create partitions in a LUN ?

    I would make at least one partition in a LUN.

    Seriously, I never make two partitions on a SAN disk... For performance
    reasons, it is better to make separate LUN's if you want them to be
    small....

    If you have company policy not to make small LUN's, maybe you have to create
    more partitions on one disk.

    Regards, Bart
    "Peter" wrote in message
    >I would like to know in what circumstances do we create partitions in a LUN
    >(SAN) ?
    >
    > Thanks

  3. Re: Do we create partitions in a LUN ?

    If I am using EMC CX300, I would like to seek your advice on how to create
    partition.

    Thanks
    Peter

    "Bart Donders" wrote in message
    >I would make at least one partition in a LUN.
    >
    > Seriously, I never make two partitions on a SAN disk... For performance
    > reasons, it is better to make separate LUN's if you want them to be
    > small....
    >
    > If you have company policy not to make small LUN's, maybe you have to
    > create more partitions on one disk.
    >
    > Regards, Bart
    > "Peter" wrote in message
    >>I would like to know in what circumstances do we create partitions in a
    >>LUN (SAN) ?
    >>
    >> Thanks

  4. Re: Do we create partitions in a LUN ?

    Same as you would create a partition of any disk, using Disk Management.

    Does that answer your question, if not please be more specific, so we can
    help you

    rgds,
    Edwin.

    "Peter" wrote in message
    > If I am using EMC CX300, I would like to seek your advice on how to create
    > partition.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Peter
    >
    > "Bart Donders" wrote in message
    > >I would make at least one partition in a LUN.
    > >
    > > Seriously, I never make two partitions on a SAN disk... For performance
    > > reasons, it is better to make separate LUN's if you want them to be
    > > small....
    > >
    > > If you have company policy not to make small LUN's, maybe you have to
    > > create more partitions on one disk.
    > >
    > > Regards, Bart
    > > "Peter" wrote in message
    > >>I would like to know in what circumstances do we create partitions in a
    > >>LUN (SAN) ?
    > >>
    > >> Thanks

  5. Re: Do we create partitions in a LUN ?

    Dear Edwin,

    In other words, we create a LUN by using Navisphere. And create partition
    with Disk Management in Windows Server ?

    Thanks

    "Edwin vMierlo [MVP]" wrote in
    message news:egUF1%23vvHHA.4332@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
    > Same as you would create a partition of any disk, using Disk Management.
    >
    > Does that answer your question, if not please be more specific, so we can
    > help you
    >
    > rgds,
    > Edwin.
    >

    > "Peter" wrote in message
    >> If I am using EMC CX300, I would like to seek your advice on how to
    >> create
    >> partition.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >> Peter
    >>
    >> "Bart Donders" wrote in message
    >> >I would make at least one partition in a LUN.
    >> >
    >> > Seriously, I never make two partitions on a SAN disk... For performance
    >> > reasons, it is better to make separate LUN's if you want them to be
    >> > small....
    >> >
    >> > If you have company policy not to make small LUN's, maybe you have to
    >> > create more partitions on one disk.
    >> >
    >> > Regards, Bart
    >> > "Peter" wrote in message

  6. Re: Do we create partitions in a LUN ?

    Peter,

    yes, you create your lun and assign it to a storage group with Navisphere

    then on your connected host you create your partition, you can do this with
    Disk management, however :

    EMC has some best practices for creating a partion, using "diskpart.exe".
    Please contact your local EMC contact to get these best practices guides /
    papers.

    rgds,
    Edwin.

    "Peter" wrote in message
    > Dear Edwin,
    >
    > In other words, we create a LUN by using Navisphere. And create partition
    > with Disk Management in Windows Server ?
    >
    > Thanks
    >

    > "Edwin vMierlo [MVP]" wrote in
    > message news:egUF1%23vvHHA.4332@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
    > > Same as you would create a partition of any disk, using Disk Management.
    > >
    > > Does that answer your question, if not please be more specific, so we

    can
    > > help you
    > >
    > > rgds,
    > > Edwin.
    > >

    > > "Peter" wrote in message
    > >> If I am using EMC CX300, I would like to seek your advice on how to
    > >> create
    > >> partition.
    > >>
    > >> Thanks
    > >> Peter
    > >>
    > >> "Bart Donders" wrote in message

    performance

  7. Re: Do we create partitions in a LUN ?

    Dear Edwin,

    Thank you for your advice.

    Regards,
    Peter