Can I use a single Storage Server as SAN? - Storage

This is a discussion on Can I use a single Storage Server as SAN? - Storage ; Hello Community, we bought a DELL PE 2950 with Storage Server 2003 R2, Standard Edition x64 to be used as file storage for WSUS 3 and SQL Server 2005. When installing WSUS on another server I noticed that it only ...

  1. Can I use a single Storage Server as SAN?

    Hello Community,

    we bought a DELL PE 2950 with Storage Server 2003 R2, Standard Edition x64
    to be used as file storage for WSUS 3 and SQL Server 2005.

    When installing WSUS on another server I noticed that it only accepts local
    disks and after searching the web for solutions I found an article which
    states that iSCSI will help - unfortunately only with a Linux solution as
    example.

    I searched again for MS solutions finding SAN, iSCSI, Targets etc., but I am
    very new to SAN technology and so understood to little.

    The server has a hardware RAID5 with initially one basic disk which consists
    of 63 MB DELL diagnostic partion, 12 GB primary partition (C and several
    hundred GBs primary partition (D.

    While my attempts I converted the basic disc to a dynamic one with the DELL
    partition and now a 12 GB simple volume for the OS (C and remaining space
    unallocated.

    Can someone here help with a quick "how to" use my Storage Server as as SAN
    with iSCSI or can provide me with a set of links?

    Any help will be greatly appreciated because we have to use this machine and
    I found infos at MS saying that (complete) installation of WSUS and SQL
    server on Storage Server isn't supported.

    So, is it possible to use that server as an iSCSI-Target for WSUS and SQL?

    Regards,
    Peter

  2. Re: Can I use a single Storage Server as SAN?

    What you want is:

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...age/wudss.mspx

    The current storage server includes the iSCSI target. So, you setup your
    WUDSS boxen as a storage target, then connect to it from your SQL box.

    ~kenny

    "news.microsoft.com" wrote in message
    > Hello Community,
    >
    > we bought a DELL PE 2950 with Storage Server 2003 R2, Standard Edition x64
    > to be used as file storage for WSUS 3 and SQL Server 2005.
    >
    > When installing WSUS on another server I noticed that it only accepts
    > local disks and after searching the web for solutions I found an article
    > which states that iSCSI will help - unfortunately only with a Linux
    > solution as example.
    >
    > I searched again for MS solutions finding SAN, iSCSI, Targets etc., but I
    > am very new to SAN technology and so understood to little.
    >
    > The server has a hardware RAID5 with initially one basic disk which
    > consists of 63 MB DELL diagnostic partion, 12 GB primary partition (C
    > and several hundred GBs primary partition (D.
    >
    > While my attempts I converted the basic disc to a dynamic one with the
    > DELL partition and now a 12 GB simple volume for the OS (C and remaining
    > space unallocated.
    >
    > Can someone here help with a quick "how to" use my Storage Server as as
    > SAN with iSCSI or can provide me with a set of links?
    >
    > Any help will be greatly appreciated because we have to use this machine
    > and I found infos at MS saying that (complete) installation of WSUS and
    > SQL server on Storage Server isn't supported.
    >
    > So, is it possible to use that server as an iSCSI-Target for WSUS and SQL?
    >
    > Regards,
    > Peter

  3. Re: Can I use a single Storage Server as SAN?

    So, we have to buy one of the machines with WUDSS installed, right? Or can I
    use our existing machine installing some additional software?

    Regards,
    Peter

    "Kenny Speer" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > What you want is:
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...age/wudss.mspx
    >
    > The current storage server includes the iSCSI target. So, you setup your
    > WUDSS boxen as a storage target, then connect to it from your SQL box.
    >
    > ~kenny
    >
    > "news.microsoft.com" wrote in message
    >> Hello Community,
    >>
    >> we bought a DELL PE 2950 with Storage Server 2003 R2, Standard Edition
    >> x64 to be used as file storage for WSUS 3 and SQL Server 2005.
    >>
    >> When installing WSUS on another server I noticed that it only accepts
    >> local disks and after searching the web for solutions I found an article
    >> which states that iSCSI will help - unfortunately only with a Linux
    >> solution as example.
    >>
    >> I searched again for MS solutions finding SAN, iSCSI, Targets etc., but I
    >> am very new to SAN technology and so understood to little.
    >>
    >> The server has a hardware RAID5 with initially one basic disk which
    >> consists of 63 MB DELL diagnostic partion, 12 GB primary partition (C
    >> and several hundred GBs primary partition (D.
    >>
    >> While my attempts I converted the basic disc to a dynamic one with the
    >> DELL partition and now a 12 GB simple volume for the OS (C and
    >> remaining space unallocated.
    >>
    >> Can someone here help with a quick "how to" use my Storage Server as as
    >> SAN with iSCSI or can provide me with a set of links?
    >>
    >> Any help will be greatly appreciated because we have to use this machine
    >> and I found infos at MS saying that (complete) installation of WSUS and
    >> SQL server on Storage Server isn't supported.
    >>
    >> So, is it possible to use that server as an iSCSI-Target for WSUS and
    >> SQL?
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >> Peter

  4. Re: Can I use a single Storage Server as SAN?

    Contact Dell and ask them if they will sell you the iSCSI Target Application
    Pack for WSS. I am not sure if they are offering this but other vendors do.

    "Peter K. Werlich" wrote in message
    > So, we have to buy one of the machines with WUDSS installed, right? Or can
    > I use our existing machine installing some additional software?
    >
    > Regards,
    > Peter
    >
    > "Kenny Speer" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    >> What you want is:
    >>
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...age/wudss.mspx
    >>
    >> The current storage server includes the iSCSI target. So, you setup your
    >> WUDSS boxen as a storage target, then connect to it from your SQL box.
    >>
    >> ~kenny
    >>
    >> "news.microsoft.com" wrote in message
    >>> Hello Community,
    >>>
    >>> we bought a DELL PE 2950 with Storage Server 2003 R2, Standard Edition
    >>> x64 to be used as file storage for WSUS 3 and SQL Server 2005.
    >>>
    >>> When installing WSUS on another server I noticed that it only accepts
    >>> local disks and after searching the web for solutions I found an article
    >>> which states that iSCSI will help - unfortunately only with a Linux
    >>> solution as example.
    >>>
    >>> I searched again for MS solutions finding SAN, iSCSI, Targets etc., but
    >>> I am very new to SAN technology and so understood to little.
    >>>
    >>> The server has a hardware RAID5 with initially one basic disk which
    >>> consists of 63 MB DELL diagnostic partion, 12 GB primary partition (C
    >>> and several hundred GBs primary partition (D.
    >>>
    >>> While my attempts I converted the basic disc to a dynamic one with the
    >>> DELL partition and now a 12 GB simple volume for the OS (C and
    >>> remaining space unallocated.
    >>>
    >>> Can someone here help with a quick "how to" use my Storage Server as as
    >>> SAN with iSCSI or can provide me with a set of links?
    >>>
    >>> Any help will be greatly appreciated because we have to use this machine
    >>> and I found infos at MS saying that (complete) installation of WSUS and
    >>> SQL server on Storage Server isn't supported.
    >>>
    >>> So, is it possible to use that server as an iSCSI-Target for WSUS and
    >>> SQL?
    >>>
    >>> Regards,
    >>> Peter

  5. Re: Can I use a single Storage Server as SAN?

    Peter,

    You may use Microsoft iSCSI target (ex-WinTarget from the R.I.P.
    String Bean Software) or third-party commercial targets. Like
    SANmelody from DataCore or FalconStor or Rocket Division ones.

    -ichiro

    Peter K. Werlich wrote:
    > So, we have to buy one of the machines with WUDSS installed, right? Or can I
    > use our existing machine installing some additional software?
    >
    > Regards,
    > Peter
    >
    > "Kenny Speer" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > > What you want is:
    > >
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...age/wudss.mspx
    > >
    > > The current storage server includes the iSCSI target. So, you setup your
    > > WUDSS boxen as a storage target, then connect to it from your SQL box.
    > >
    > > ~kenny
    > >
    > > "news.microsoft.com" wrote in message
    > >> Hello Community,
    > >>
    > >> we bought a DELL PE 2950 with Storage Server 2003 R2, Standard Edition
    > >> x64 to be used as file storage for WSUS 3 and SQL Server 2005.
    > >>
    > >> When installing WSUS on another server I noticed that it only accepts
    > >> local disks and after searching the web for solutions I found an article
    > >> which states that iSCSI will help - unfortunately only with a Linux
    > >> solution as example.
    > >>
    > >> I searched again for MS solutions finding SAN, iSCSI, Targets etc., but I
    > >> am very new to SAN technology and so understood to little.
    > >>
    > >> The server has a hardware RAID5 with initially one basic disk which
    > >> consists of 63 MB DELL diagnostic partion, 12 GB primary partition (C
    > >> and several hundred GBs primary partition (D.
    > >>
    > >> While my attempts I converted the basic disc to a dynamic one with the
    > >> DELL partition and now a 12 GB simple volume for the OS (C and
    > >> remaining space unallocated.
    > >>
    > >> Can someone here help with a quick "how to" use my Storage Server as as
    > >> SAN with iSCSI or can provide me with a set of links?
    > >>
    > >> Any help will be greatly appreciated because we have to use this machine
    > >> and I found infos at MS saying that (complete) installation of WSUS and
    > >> SQL server on Storage Server isn't supported.
    > >>
    > >> So, is it possible to use that server as an iSCSI-Target for WSUS and
    > >> SQL?
    > >>
    > >> Regards,
    > >> Peter

  6. Re: Can I use a single Storage Server as SAN?

    Thanks a lot guys for your excellent help!

    Meanwhile I'm evaluating an iSCSI target software called "StarWind iSCSI
    Target" from Rocket Division; it seems to work great!

    Best regards,
    Peter

    "news.microsoft.com" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > Hello Community,
    >
    > we bought a DELL PE 2950 with Storage Server 2003 R2, Standard Edition x64
    > to be used as file storage for WSUS 3 and SQL Server 2005.
    >
    > When installing WSUS on another server I noticed that it only accepts
    > local disks and after searching the web for solutions I found an article
    > which states that iSCSI will help - unfortunately only with a Linux
    > solution as example.
    >
    > I searched again for MS solutions finding SAN, iSCSI, Targets etc., but I
    > am very new to SAN technology and so understood to little.
    >
    > The server has a hardware RAID5 with initially one basic disk which
    > consists of 63 MB DELL diagnostic partion, 12 GB primary partition (C
    > and several hundred GBs primary partition (D.
    >
    > While my attempts I converted the basic disc to a dynamic one with the
    > DELL partition and now a 12 GB simple volume for the OS (C and remaining
    > space unallocated.
    >
    > Can someone here help with a quick "how to" use my Storage Server as as
    > SAN with iSCSI or can provide me with a set of links?
    >
    > Any help will be greatly appreciated because we have to use this machine
    > and I found infos at MS saying that (complete) installation of WSUS and
    > SQL server on Storage Server isn't supported.
    >
    > So, is it possible to use that server as an iSCSI-Target for WSUS and SQL?
    >
    > Regards,
    > Peter

+ Reply to Thread