UNC paths to Windows Storage Server - Storage

This is a discussion on UNC paths to Windows Storage Server - Storage ; I'm not sure if this is the correct group for this questions, but.. We're thinking of getting a new server based on WSS 2003. I've been reading up on it quite a bit; I was wondering if its possible to ...

  1. UNC paths to Windows Storage Server

    I'm not sure if this is the correct group for this questions, but..

    We're thinking of getting a new server based on WSS 2003. I've been reading
    up on it quite a bit; I was wondering if its possible to access shares using
    UNC paths, just as you would with a regular server? We're considering
    consolidating the shares from two servers onto one new WSS-based machine.
    But since there are many machines that have "hard" mapped drives to both
    machines, would like to point those UNC paths to the server server. Does
    anyone know if that works, or, would the clients have to delete and recreate
    their mappings? And is it possible for one NAS have more than one "hostname"?

    Thanks
    Maurice

  2. Re: UNC paths to Windows Storage Server

    Re: UNC - yes you can.
    If you have a lot of clients, you can use the File Server Migration Toolkit
    (microsoft.com) which will take care of re-mapping for you.

    Pat

    "Maurice" wrote in message
    news3CCFEEF-B8D7-4E33-AD4F-A14AC3835815@microsoft.com...
    > I'm not sure if this is the correct group for this questions, but..
    >
    > We're thinking of getting a new server based on WSS 2003. I've been
    > reading
    > up on it quite a bit; I was wondering if its possible to access shares
    > using
    > UNC paths, just as you would with a regular server? We're considering
    > consolidating the shares from two servers onto one new WSS-based machine.
    > But since there are many machines that have "hard" mapped drives to both
    > machines, would like to point those UNC paths to the server server. Does
    > anyone know if that works, or, would the clients have to delete and
    > recreate
    > their mappings? And is it possible for one NAS have more than one
    > "hostname"?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Maurice

+ Reply to Thread