Using VSS on 64-bit Vista from a 32-bit application - Storage

This is a discussion on Using VSS on 64-bit Vista from a 32-bit application - Storage ; Hi, we're having problems using the Volume Shadow Copy API on 64-bit Vista. Our application is 32-bit and we're using the Windows 2003 VSS API library. There is no problem doing this with 32-bit Vista, the problem is only with ...

  1. Using VSS on 64-bit Vista from a 32-bit application

    Hi, we're having problems using the Volume Shadow Copy API on 64-bit
    Vista. Our application is 32-bit and we're using the Windows 2003 VSS
    API library. There is no problem doing this with 32-bit Vista, the
    problem is only with 64-bit Vista. Both are clean installations.

    When InitializeForBackup() is called it is returning 0x8000ffff
    (E_UNEXPECTED). The event log contains:

    Volume Shadow Copy Service error: The VSS Coordinator class is not
    registered. This may be caused due to a setup failure or as a result of
    an application's installer or uninstaller.

    As mentioned, this is a clean installation. Are there new libraries
    available for use with VS 2005 to access VSS from 32-bit apps on 64-bit
    Vista?

    Thanks

  2. Re: Using VSS on 64-bit Vista from a 32-bit application

    Hi Michael,

    Did you get any solution to this problem?

    Thanks,
    WN

  3. Re: Using VSS on 64-bit Vista from a 32-bit application

    wn123456@gmail.com wrote:
    > Did you get any solution to this problem?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > WN

    Unfortunately not. I've also tried the MSDN forums, with no luck. I
    suspect you simply cannot use VSS on 64-bit versions of Windows from a
    32-bit app because the VSS is itself 64-bit, but I hope I'm wrong.

+ Reply to Thread