converting basic to dynamic Disk in Storage server 64 - Storage

This is a discussion on converting basic to dynamic Disk in Storage server 64 - Storage ; Hello all, I made one big Hard disk with RAID (3TB). out of 3 TB i allocated 20 GB for windows storage server (R2) 64bit). Installed the server and looks fine. however I cannot covert basic disk to dynamic disk. ...

  1. converting basic to dynamic Disk in Storage server 64

    Hello all,

    I made one big Hard disk with RAID (3TB). out of 3 TB i allocated 20 GB for
    windows storage server (R2) 64bit). Installed the server and looks fine.
    however I cannot covert basic disk to dynamic disk. option does seem active.
    I read in basic disk its only supports 2TB and says some in microsoft website
    if we convert to dynamic it can go upto higher. Does anyone knows ?

    I just wanted a big volume (approx 3TB), any suggestion and advice would be
    helpful.

    AT

  2. Re: converting basic to dynamic Disk in Storage server 64

    I assume you used hardware RAID and that your server sees 1 3TB Disk. If
    this is the case, you'll need to convert to using GPT partition styles which
    allow up to 16TB disks. Dynamic disks are required when you have multiple
    disks and you want one volume. I.E. if your windows server displayed 6 500G
    drives, you could convert them all to dynamic and then create a single 3TB
    volume across them. You don't need this if you have hardware RAID and
    already see a 3TB disk.

    diskpart> select disk 1
    diskpart> convert gpt

    You may need to clean the disk first before converting to GPT since it
    changes the partition table format. In which case select your disk and type
    "clean" ... this will destroy all data on the disk.

    ~kenny

    "Anil" wrote in message
    > Hello all,
    >
    > I made one big Hard disk with RAID (3TB). out of 3 TB i allocated 20 GB
    > for
    > windows storage server (R2) 64bit). Installed the server and looks fine.
    > however I cannot covert basic disk to dynamic disk. option does seem
    > active.
    > I read in basic disk its only supports 2TB and says some in microsoft
    > website
    > if we convert to dynamic it can go upto higher. Does anyone knows ?
    >
    > I just wanted a big volume (approx 3TB), any suggestion and advice would
    > be
    > helpful.
    >
    > AT

  3. Re: converting basic to dynamic Disk in Storage server 64

    Hello Kenny,

    Thanks for your helpful suggestion. Yes it is Harware RAID. (windows does
    not see 6 500GB HD, it sees as one)Windows sees 3TB but cannot do anything on
    unallocated space. At present my Disk 0 has partioned 20 GB. I made one big
    volume i.e 3TB and partioned 20 GB for operating system. Options in disk
    management are not active and can not do anything. As you suggested for GPT.
    this is what error i get.

    DISKPART> convert dynamic

    Diskpart cannot convert MBR disks larger than 2TB to dynamic.

    DISKPART> select disk 0

    Disk 0 is now the selected disk.

    DISKPART> convert gpt

    DISKPART> clean

    The selected disk is neccessary to the operation of your computer, and may
    not b
    e cleaned.

    Well I could re-install server and make it two partition with 1.5TB and 1.5
    TB. But I would like to make one large (single) partition with 3TB.

    Are there any solution for this. Any help would be great.

    Regards,

    The disk you specified is not empty.
    Please select an empty MBR disk to convert

    "Kenny Speer" wrote:

    > I assume you used hardware RAID and that your server sees 1 3TB Disk. If
    > this is the case, you'll need to convert to using GPT partition styles which
    > allow up to 16TB disks. Dynamic disks are required when you have multiple
    > disks and you want one volume. I.E. if your windows server displayed 6 500G
    > drives, you could convert them all to dynamic and then create a single 3TB
    > volume across them. You don't need this if you have hardware RAID and
    > already see a 3TB disk.
    >
    > diskpart> select disk 1
    > diskpart> convert gpt
    >
    > You may need to clean the disk first before converting to GPT since it
    > changes the partition table format. In which case select your disk and type
    > "clean" ... this will destroy all data on the disk.
    >
    > ~kenny
    >
    > "Anil" wrote in message
    > > Hello all,
    > >
    > > I made one big Hard disk with RAID (3TB). out of 3 TB i allocated 20 GB
    > > for
    > > windows storage server (R2) 64bit). Installed the server and looks fine.
    > > however I cannot covert basic disk to dynamic disk. option does seem
    > > active.
    > > I read in basic disk its only supports 2TB and says some in microsoft
    > > website
    > > if we convert to dynamic it can go upto higher. Does anyone knows ?
    > >
    > > I just wanted a big volume (approx 3TB), any suggestion and advice would
    > > be
    > > helpful.
    > >
    > > AT

  4. Re: converting basic to dynamic Disk in Storage server 64

    Ah, the 20G partition is your boot partition. I would not have done that.
    I would have purchased two cheap drives and mirrored them for the system
    drive. In any event, the commands below aren't correct. You don't need
    "convert dynamic" and "clean" is only used before you attempt to convert to
    GPT.

    Since the partition table is different between MBR and GPT, there cannot be
    any partitions or volumes on the disk, hence the "clean" command. So, I
    suggest buying a couple of drives and mirroring them.

    ~kenny

    "Anil" wrote in message
> [...]
    >> changes the partition table format. In which case select your disk and
    >> type
    >> "clean" ... this will destroy all data on the disk.
    >>
    >> ~kenny
    >>
    >> "Anil" wrote in message
    >> > Hello all,
    >> >
    >> > I made one big Hard disk with RAID (3TB). out of 3 TB i allocated 20 GB
    >> > for
    >> > windows storage server (R2) 64bit). Installed the server and looks
    >> > fine.
    >> > however I cannot covert basic disk to dynamic disk. option does seem
    >> > active.
    >> > I read in basic disk its only supports 2TB and says some in microsoft
    >> > website
    >> > if we convert to dynamic it can go upto higher. Does anyone knows ?
    >> >
    >> > I just wanted a big volume (approx 3TB), any suggestion and advice

  5. Re: converting basic to dynamic Disk in Storage server 64

    Hello Kenny

    I resolve this issue. Buying cheap hard-disk and install system OS is a
    suitable option however there were no space. So, this is what i did : create
    about 20GB small volume and Rest big volume. By doing this, i can convert new
    volume(i.e more than 3 TB) to GPT. Now big volume is converted to GPT and
    windows can see as a 3TB(this is what i wanted), small volume which has
    system partition which can be either basic or dynamic.

    Thanks for your all help.

    Regads,

+ Reply to Thread