Windows 2003 R2 storage manager for SAN simple question - Storage

This is a discussion on Windows 2003 R2 storage manager for SAN simple question - Storage ; Hello group, i would like to setup a simple iSCSI SAN solution based ond Windows 2003 R2. I would like it to remain as cheap as possible, that means, no DAS, no physical SAN, all storage would be local RAID ...

  1. Windows 2003 R2 storage manager for SAN simple question

    Hello group, i would like to setup a simple iSCSI SAN solution based ond
    Windows 2003 R2.
    I would like it to remain as cheap as possible, that means, no DAS, no
    physical SAN, all storage would be local RAID units on Windows 2003 R2.

    It seems that SMfS is based on VDS that allows compatible storage to be
    iscsi SAN, FC, DAS, and even local disks, right ?
    So, the ISCSI target would be on the Windows 2003 R2, the storage subsystem
    too (SATA AMCC 3ware RAID controler).
    Initiators would be on Windows 2003 R2 / Vista.

    Is this solution possible ?

    Thanks

  2. Re: Windows 2003 R2 storage manager for SAN simple question

    After some research it seems that Windows 2003 Storage Server R2 will do the
    trick as it incorporates the wintarget technology.

    "RodV" a écrit dans le message de news:
    uQD5mGosHHA.4916@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
    > Hello group, i would like to setup a simple iSCSI SAN solution based ond
    > Windows 2003 R2.
    > I would like it to remain as cheap as possible, that means, no DAS, no
    > physical SAN, all storage would be local RAID units on Windows 2003 R2.
    >
    > It seems that SMfS is based on VDS that allows compatible storage to be
    > iscsi SAN, FC, DAS, and even local disks, right ?
    > So, the ISCSI target would be on the Windows 2003 R2, the storage
    > subsystem too (SATA AMCC 3ware RAID controler).
    > Initiators would be on Windows 2003 R2 / Vista.
    >
    > Is this solution possible ?
    >
    > Thanks

  3. Re: Windows 2003 R2 storage manager for SAN simple question

    Yes - but you can ONLY purchase this OEM from a MS Storage partner.
    Why they don't sell it direct is completely beyond me. I would buy
    it, but not from a partner...period.

    -Kevin

    On Jun 21, 2:31 pm, "RodV" wrote:
    > After some research it seems that Windows 2003 Storage Server R2 will do the
    > trick as it incorporates thewintargettechnology.
    >
    > "RodV" a écrit dans le message de news:
    > uQD5mGosHHA.4...@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
    >

    > > Hello group, i would like to setup a simple iSCSI SAN solution based ond
    > > Windows 2003 R2.
    > > I would like it to remain as cheap as possible, that means, no DAS, no
    > > physical SAN, all storage would be local RAID units on Windows 2003 R2.

    > > It seems that SMfS is based on VDS that allows compatible storage to be
    > > iscsi SAN, FC, DAS, and even local disks, right ?
    > > So, the ISCSI target would be on the Windows 2003 R2, the storage
    > > subsystem too (SATA AMCC 3ware RAID controler).
    > > Initiators would be on Windows 2003 R2 / Vista.

    > > Is this solution possible ?

    > > Thanks- Hide quoted text -

  4. RE: Windows 2003 R2 storage manager for SAN simple question

    Hi,

    I want to do the same thing.
    I have a 2003 standard server R2 and want it to connect with iscsi to an X
    serve from mac. I now first test it to connect to an XP desktop. ( test
    envirement )
    But when is want to configure SAN on the 2003 server i get the message:
    unable to find Virtual Disk Service or any VDS hardware providers
    installed....

    VDS is running, i checked.

    thanks,

    kind regards

    "RodV" wrote:

    > Hello group, i would like to setup a simple iSCSI SAN solution based ond
    > Windows 2003 R2.
    > I would like it to remain as cheap as possible, that means, no DAS, no
    > physical SAN, all storage would be local RAID units on Windows 2003 R2.
    >
    > It seems that SMfS is based on VDS that allows compatible storage to be
    > iscsi SAN, FC, DAS, and even local disks, right ?
    > So, the ISCSI target would be on the Windows 2003 R2, the storage subsystem
    > too (SATA AMCC 3ware RAID controler).
    > Initiators would be on Windows 2003 R2 / Vista.
    >
    > Is this solution possible ?
    >
    > Thanks

  5. Re: Windows 2003 R2 storage manager for SAN simple question

    1) who is the Vendor of your SAN ?
    2) did you install that vendor's VDS provider ?

    "Kristof" wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I want to do the same thing.
    > I have a 2003 standard server R2 and want it to connect with iscsi to an X
    > serve from mac. I now first test it to connect to an XP desktop. ( test
    > envirement )
    > But when is want to configure SAN on the 2003 server i get the message:
    > unable to find Virtual Disk Service or any VDS hardware providers
    > installed....
    >
    > VDS is running, i checked.
    >
    > thanks,
    >
    > kind regards
    >
    > "RodV" wrote:
    >
    > > Hello group, i would like to setup a simple iSCSI SAN solution based ond
    > > Windows 2003 R2.
    > > I would like it to remain as cheap as possible, that means, no DAS, no
    > > physical SAN, all storage would be local RAID units on Windows 2003 R2.
    > >
    > > It seems that SMfS is based on VDS that allows compatible storage to be
    > > iscsi SAN, FC, DAS, and even local disks, right ?
    > > So, the ISCSI target would be on the Windows 2003 R2, the storage

    subsystem
    > > too (SATA AMCC 3ware RAID controler).
    > > Initiators would be on Windows 2003 R2 / Vista.
    > >
    > > Is this solution possible ?
    > >
    > > Thanks

+ Reply to Thread