NTFS drive, Windows 2000 and "Write Signature" - Storage

This is a discussion on NTFS drive, Windows 2000 and "Write Signature" - Storage ; A researcher gave me a 320 GB SATA drive from a Windows XP machine that he wants to have access to. I put it in a Windows 2000 machine and in "Disk Management" it shows up as "Unknown". The only ...

  1. NTFS drive, Windows 2000 and "Write Signature"

    A researcher gave me a 320 GB SATA drive from a Windows XP machine that
    he wants to have access to. I put it in a Windows 2000 machine and in
    "Disk Management" it shows up as "Unknown". The only option appears to
    be "Write Signature". Could doing this be a bad thing as far as being
    able to access the data on the disk?

    I have used "FinalData Enterprise" to see if there is data on the drive
    and it finds two NTFS partitions with data. All looks fine. I can use
    this to get the data now but it would obviously be better to have it
    accessible the normal way. I just don't want to write the "Signature"
    and then find that I can't even get the data via Final Data. I doubt if
    this would happen but I'm not up on Windows so I'd like some advice.

    As far as I can tell from what searching I've done, the Write Signature
    command just deals with the MBR. It is also used to go to a Dynamic
    Drive which I don't want to do. Would doing a fdisk /MBR be better?

    Bottom line: what is the procedure I should use to safely mount these
    partitions on this Win2K machine?

    Thanks for your help.

    Steve

  2. Re: NTFS drive, Windows 2000 and "Write Signature"

    If the drive belongs to an MSCS cluster, that could be a bad thing;
    otherwise no.

    "Steve Cousins" wrote in message
    >A researcher gave me a 320 GB SATA drive from a Windows XP machine that he
    >wants to have access to. I put it in a Windows 2000 machine and in "Disk
    >Management" it shows up as "Unknown". The only option appears to be "Write
    >Signature". Could doing this be a bad thing as far as being able to access
    >the data on the disk?
    >
    > I have used "FinalData Enterprise" to see if there is data on the drive
    > and it finds two NTFS partitions with data. All looks fine. I can use
    > this to get the data now but it would obviously be better to have it
    > accessible the normal way. I just don't want to write the "Signature" and
    > then find that I can't even get the data via Final Data. I doubt if this
    > would happen but I'm not up on Windows so I'd like some advice.
    >
    > As far as I can tell from what searching I've done, the Write Signature
    > command just deals with the MBR. It is also used to go to a Dynamic Drive
    > which I don't want to do. Would doing a fdisk /MBR be better?
    >
    > Bottom line: what is the procedure I should use to safely mount these
    > partitions on this Win2K machine?
    >
    > Thanks for your help.
    >
    > Steve

+ Reply to Thread