boot from SAN volumes - Storage

This is a discussion on boot from SAN volumes - Storage ; I have set up Windows 2003 boot from SAN volumes successfully. Then one day after I deleted the O/S from the SAN volumes by deleting the snapshots from SAN console, I could not install Windows 2003 into the SAN volumes ...

  1. boot from SAN volumes

    I have set up Windows 2003 boot from SAN volumes successfully. Then one
    day after I deleted the O/S from the SAN volumes by deleting the
    snapshots from SAN console, I could not install Windows 2003 into the
    SAN volumes successfully. I keep getting the message as follows:

    "To install Windows on the partition you selected, setup must write some
    startup files to the following disk:
    69877 MB Disk 0 at ID 0 on bus 2 on mraid 35x (MBR)
    However, this disk does not contain a windows-compatible partition."

    I got this message when coming to select which partition to install O/S
    and I selected to install the partition from SAN. Then I press Enter and
    it went back to the previous screen. But if I select the partition
    mention above (69877 MB Disk 0 at ID 0 on bus 2 on mraid 35x (MBR))which
    is actually the internal hard disk, then the installation could
    continue but it put boot.ini file, sysvol information folder, etc.. to
    the internal hard disk. We do not want anything in the internal hard
    disk. I used to be able to set up to boot into SAN with no problem and I
    am using the exact same steps I did before and nothing change. All of a
    sudden, I keep getting the above message. The installation just doesn't
    want to write certain files into SAN volumes. What happened? Does anyone
    have any idea? Any response will be greatly appreciated!!!

  2. RE: boot from SAN volumes

    You may need to look at the boot BIOS, Check the boot device configuration.

    Recreate the boot LUN entry using the correct settings.

    what`s your hardware? HBA make n model... target device..?

    Thanks and Regard
    Ambarish.

    "Li" wrote:

    > I have set up Windows 2003 boot from SAN volumes successfully. Then one
    > day after I deleted the O/S from the SAN volumes by deleting the
    > snapshots from SAN console, I could not install Windows 2003 into the
    > SAN volumes successfully. I keep getting the message as follows:
    >
    > "To install Windows on the partition you selected, setup must write some
    > startup files to the following disk:
    > 69877 MB Disk 0 at ID 0 on bus 2 on mraid 35x (MBR)
    > However, this disk does not contain a windows-compatible partition."
    >
    > I got this message when coming to select which partition to install O/S
    > and I selected to install the partition from SAN. Then I press Enter and
    > it went back to the previous screen. But if I select the partition
    > mention above (69877 MB Disk 0 at ID 0 on bus 2 on mraid 35x (MBR))which
    > is actually the internal hard disk, then the installation could
    > continue but it put boot.ini file, sysvol information folder, etc.. to
    > the internal hard disk. We do not want anything in the internal hard
    > disk. I used to be able to set up to boot into SAN with no problem and I
    > am using the exact same steps I did before and nothing change. All of a
    > sudden, I keep getting the above message. The installation just doesn't
    > want to write certain files into SAN volumes. What happened? Does anyone
    > have any idea? Any response will be greatly appreciated!!!

  3. Re: boot from SAN volumes

    What kind of SAN? Is the volume a GPT volume or an MBR volume?

    "Ambrish" wrote in message
    > You may need to look at the boot BIOS, Check the boot device
    > configuration.
    >
    > Recreate the boot LUN entry using the correct settings.
    >
    > what`s your hardware? HBA make n model... target device..?
    >
    > Thanks and Regard
    > Ambarish.
    >

    > "Li" wrote:
    >
    >> I have set up Windows 2003 boot from SAN volumes successfully. Then one
    >> day after I deleted the O/S from the SAN volumes by deleting the
    >> snapshots from SAN console, I could not install Windows 2003 into the
    >> SAN volumes successfully. I keep getting the message as follows:
    >>
    >> "To install Windows on the partition you selected, setup must write some
    >> startup files to the following disk:
    >> 69877 MB Disk 0 at ID 0 on bus 2 on mraid 35x (MBR)
    >> However, this disk does not contain a windows-compatible partition."
    >>
    >> I got this message when coming to select which partition to install O/S
    >> and I selected to install the partition from SAN. Then I press Enter and
    >> it went back to the previous screen. But if I select the partition
    >> mention above (69877 MB Disk 0 at ID 0 on bus 2 on mraid 35x (MBR))which
    >> is actually the internal hard disk, then the installation could
    >> continue but it put boot.ini file, sysvol information folder, etc.. to
    >> the internal hard disk. We do not want anything in the internal hard
    >> disk. I used to be able to set up to boot into SAN with no problem and I
    >> am using the exact same steps I did before and nothing change. All of a
    >> sudden, I keep getting the above message. The installation just doesn't
    >> want to write certain files into SAN volumes. What happened? Does anyone
    >> have any idea? Any response will be greatly appreciated!!!

+ Reply to Thread