Can't convert iSCSI disk to dynamic - Storage

This is a discussion on Can't convert iSCSI disk to dynamic - Storage ; Hi, Configuration: 2 W2K3 WUDSSS. I mount a iSCSI 2Go disk with the initiator. Target is on the other server. Disk appear in disk management but I can't convert it to dynamic disk. I check there's no third party VDS ...

  1. Can't convert iSCSI disk to dynamic

    Hi,

    Configuration: 2 W2K3 WUDSSS.
    I mount a iSCSI 2Go disk with the initiator. Target is on the other server.
    Disk appear in disk management but I can't convert it to dynamic disk.

    I check there's no third party VDS hardware provider.

    What's the problem ??

  2. Re: Can't convert iSCSI disk to dynamic

    "Thierry" wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > Configuration: 2 W2K3 WUDSSS.
    > I mount a iSCSI 2Go disk with the initiator. Target is on the other
    > server.
    > Disk appear in disk management but I can't convert it to dynamic disk.
    >
    > I check there's no third party VDS hardware provider.
    >
    > What's the problem ??

    More info : I tried to convert using diskpart, and i got "The selected disk
    cannot be upgrated to dynamic".
    But no reason about why it cannot be upgrated.
    So I "mount" the iSCSI target on a Vista and can convert it to dynamic.

    I already succeed convert iSCSI disk to dynamic with the same configuration
    (2 WUDSS) but I don't know I can't now. I tried to reinstall WUDSS
    components (iSCSI target, VDS, VSS) without any success.

    Any help welcome.

  3. Re: Can't convert iSCSI disk to dynamic

    Microsoft had dropped dynamic disk support for iSCSI since they
    represented version 2.x of their initiator. You may roll back to 1.06
    and use dynamic disks (with the some tricks). Or you can give a try to
    our own iSCSI initiator called StarPort (it still has dynamic disk
    support). However neither way is recommended... The problem is storage
    stack starts much earlier then network stack. So if you'd create RAID
    over iSCSI disks you have at least 50% probability DMIO will mark it
    as "broken" during system start up... Hope with the diskless iSCSI
    boot they will manage to turn it ON again

    -anton

    Thierry wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Configuration: 2 W2K3 WUDSSS.
    > I mount a iSCSI 2Go disk with the initiator. Target is on the other server.
    > Disk appear in disk management but I can't convert it to dynamic disk.
    >
    > I check there's no third party VDS hardware provider.
    >
    > What's the problem ??

  4. Re: Can't convert iSCSI disk to dynamic

    "KOOLER" wrote in message
    news:1181981835.798066.260030@p77g2000hsh.googlegr oups.com...
    > Microsoft had dropped dynamic disk support for iSCSI since they
    > represented version 2.x of their initiator. You may roll back to 1.06
    > and use dynamic disks (with the some tricks).

    This one ?
    http://support.overlandstorage.com/j...D&categoryID=7

    I thought I already done this manipulation with 2 WUDSS, maybe before
    upgrating to 2.04 initiator. 2.04 release notes indicate dynamic disk are
    not supported but not indicate if it's a change from previous versions or
    not.

    > Or you can give a try to
    > our own iSCSI initiator called StarPort (it still has dynamic disk
    > support). However neither way is recommended... The problem is storage
    > stack starts much earlier then network stack. So if you'd create RAID
    > over iSCSI disks you have at least 50% probability DMIO will mark it
    > as "broken" during system start up... Hope with the diskless iSCSI
    > boot they will manage to turn it ON again

    iSCSI mirroring (with dynamic disks) is available on Vista (ultimate) with
    MS initiator (can't check the version, file version is 6.X), and probably
    also with longhorn. I can make a mirrored volume with 2 iSCSI disks. What
    system difference enable Vista to support dynamic disk ?

    The purpose is to make a redundant mirrored volume between a physical local
    disk and a remote iSCSI device.
    Is this possible with Windows 2k3R2 or do I need third party software to
    do that ?

    Thanks for your reply.

+ Reply to Thread