Multi-NIC Setup - Storage

This is a discussion on Multi-NIC Setup - Storage ; Hello, I trying to finding information the best practices for a Windows Storage Server with two NIC's. Our plan is too have a private network for the Storage Server and the other Windows 2k3 server. All the servers have two ...

  1. Multi-NIC Setup

    Hello,

    I trying to finding information the best practices for a Windows Storage
    Server with two NIC's. Our plan is too have a private network for the
    Storage Server and the other Windows 2k3 server. All the servers have two
    NIC's. I'm looking for information on how to best IP the second NIC
    (address space / subnet, gateway, DNS).

    Any help would be appreciated.

    Thanks,

    Nick

  2. Re: Multi-NIC Setup

    Dear Nick

    I am not sure what you mean with "one for the Storage Server" and "one for
    W2K3 server"

    please give us some more info on what you want to do with this Storage
    server, and what you want to do with the NIC's in it.

    thanks,
    Edwin.

    "Nick K" wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I trying to finding information the best practices for a Windows Storage
    > Server with two NIC's. Our plan is too have a private network for the
    > Storage Server and the other Windows 2k3 server. All the servers have two
    > NIC's. I'm looking for information on how to best IP the second NIC
    > (address space / subnet, gateway, DNS).
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Nick

  3. Re: Multi-NIC Setup

    Hi Edwin,

    We have four servers. One is for File and Print Sharing (Windows 2003), one
    for Exchange (Windows 2003 and Exchange 2003), one for SQL (Windows 2000 and
    SQL 2000) and a new HP Storage Server (Windows Storage Server 2003).

    Initially the storage server will be used as a backup device (using the
    Backup Exec backup to folder option). Then we would like to move several
    shared folders off the File and Print Server to the storage server (running
    out of disk space on the File and Print Server). At a later data we would
    like to move the SQL databases to the storage server.

    Each Server has two NIC's. The second NIC is disable on all the servers
    except the storage server. All server are on a 192.168.0.x network. The
    second NIC of the storage server is on a 192.168.10.x network, which is on a
    separate switch. We would like to create a private network for the storage
    server and the other servers so that we do not impact the network the users
    are on.

    What I would like to know is how to configure the IP addresses for the
    private network. I know that Backup Exec will allow me to use the second
    NIC for the backup by specifying it in the backup job. But, can I use the
    second for File Sharing or the SQL database?

    Let me know if this makes sense or you need more info.

    Thanks for any help.

    nick

    "Edwin vMierlo [MVP]" wrote in
    message news:ubRifLOqHHA.3448@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
    > Dear Nick
    >
    > I am not sure what you mean with "one for the Storage Server" and "one for
    > W2K3 server"
    >
    > please give us some more info on what you want to do with this Storage
    > server, and what you want to do with the NIC's in it.
    >
    > thanks,
    > Edwin.
    >

    > "Nick K" wrote in message
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> I trying to finding information the best practices for a Windows Storage
    >> Server with two NIC's. Our plan is too have a private network for the
    >> Storage Server and the other Windows 2k3 server. All the servers have
    >> two
    >> NIC's. I'm looking for information on how to best IP the second NIC
    >> (address space / subnet, gateway, DNS).
    >>
    >> Any help would be appreciated.
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> Nick