New Spanned Volume in Vista - Storage

This is a discussion on New Spanned Volume in Vista - Storage ; My new PCc is a Zoostorm with an Intel quadcore, a Western Digital 500 Gb SATA drive and Windows Vista Ultimate. I want to set up a mirror for the drive and have installed a second WD Caviar 500 Gb ...

  1. New Spanned Volume in Vista

    My new PCc is a Zoostorm with an Intel quadcore, a Western Digital 500 Gb
    SATA drive and Windows Vista Ultimate. I want to set up a mirror for the
    drive and have installed a second WD Caviar 500 Gb SATA drive. The help file
    in Windows tells me to ‘right click’ on the drive volume and select ‘New
    Spanned Volume’ however this option and the option ‘New Stripped Volume’ are
    always greyed out… The second drive was installed AFTER the Windows
    installation, is formatted and is reported as ‘Healthy’. Can anyone tell me
    were I am going wrong?
    --
    Many thanks
    David

  2. Re: New Spanned Volume in Vista

    You do NOT want "spanned" volume. Spanned is a concatenated volume
    utilizing all your disks. This means that the second drive won't be touched
    until your first drive is full and your volume will be 1TB. This has it's
    use, for intstance if you need to add storage to a volume used for nearstore
    data or vtl.

    You need to convert both drives to dynamic disks, and then right click the
    first volume (your original) and select 'add mirror', then follow the
    prompts. Once your disks are dynamic, you'll have the choice of 'spanned',
    'striped', and mirror. you will not have the option of RAID5 without at
    least 3 drives. Striped is the equivelant of RAID0 and essentially stripes
    your data across both drives and thus has the performance equivelant of two
    drives (naturally, it's more complicated than this but that description will
    suffice). This should ONLY be used on temporary data and data you don't
    mind if you lose, since with RAID0, you are more likely to lose your data x
    times a single drive (x = number of drives in the stripe).

    You want RAID1 (mirror).

    ~kenny

    "David Hewitt" wrote in message
    > My new PCc is a Zoostorm with an Intel quadcore, a Western Digital 500 Gb
    > SATA drive and Windows Vista Ultimate. I want to set up a mirror for the
    > drive and have installed a second WD Caviar 500 Gb SATA drive. The help
    > file
    > in Windows tells me to ‘right click’ on the drive volume and select ‘New
    > Spanned Volume’ however this option and the option ‘New Stripped Volume’
    > are
    > always greyed out… The second drive was installed AFTER the Windows
    > installation, is formatted and is reported as ‘Healthy’. Can anyone tell
    > me
    > were I am going wrong?
    > --
    > Many thanks