Sorry if wrong group - PXE Boot for Root (C:) drive on Windows - Storage

This is a discussion on Sorry if wrong group - PXE Boot for Root (C:) drive on Windows - Storage ; I have been looking for an option to boot using PXE, and then replacing an entire C: drive with a bootable ISCSI (or NAS) drive. I am tired of replacing the C: drive on my windows desktops. I have used ...

  1. Sorry if wrong group - PXE Boot for Root (C:) drive on Windows

    I have been looking for an option to boot using PXE, and then
    replacing an entire C: drive with a bootable ISCSI (or NAS) drive. I am
    tired of replacing the C: drive on my windows desktops. I have used PXE
    boot to load an initial load of Windows, to install. Now I want to
    boot, and then load the Disk image. I would make the network dedicated,
    if necesary, to make the bandwidth high enough. I have heard of EMBOOT,
    but never used it.

    Am I crazy? I have heard you can do this on LINUX. Not MS bashing,
    since I support it, but looking for a good "DISKLESS" Workstation
    solution. I figure storage would be a big part of this.

    Thanks (Ready for Flame Wars).

  2. Re: Sorry if wrong group - PXE Boot for Root (C:) drive on Windows

    The MS iSCSI Initiator supports iSCSI boot. You need to have a NIC in the
    machine that supports it - you may be able to flash the NIC firmware to get
    the support, check w/the manufacturer. Each machine image will need to be
    on its own LUN.

    http://www.microsoft.com/WindowsServ...i/default.mspx

    Pat

    "The Computer Dood" wrote in message
    > I have been looking for an option to boot using PXE, and then replacing
    > an entire C: drive with a bootable ISCSI (or NAS) drive. I am tired of
    > replacing the C: drive on my windows desktops. I have used PXE boot to
    > load an initial load of Windows, to install. Now I want to boot, and then
    > load the Disk image. I would make the network dedicated, if necesary, to
    > make the bandwidth high enough. I have heard of EMBOOT, but never used
    > it.
    >
    > Am I crazy? I have heard you can do this on LINUX. Not MS bashing, since
    > I support it, but looking for a good "DISKLESS" Workstation solution. I
    > figure storage would be a big part of this.
    >
    > Thanks (Ready for Flame Wars).

+ Reply to Thread