Diskpart: Align local storage - Storage

This is a discussion on Diskpart: Align local storage - Storage ; Hello, We are using DISKPART to create and align partitions for the SAN drives. Will this be beneficial from the performance stand point to align local drives? Thanks is advance, IK...

  1. Diskpart: Align local storage

    Hello,

    We are using DISKPART to create and align partitions for the SAN drives.
    Will this be beneficial from the performance stand point to align local
    drives?

    Thanks is advance,
    IK

  2. Re: Diskpart: Align local storage

    It depends on the SAN. Some vendors already align partitions and others
    don't. Check with your SAN vendor first.

    "IK" wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > We are using DISKPART to create and align partitions for the SAN drives.
    > Will this be beneficial from the performance stand point to align local
    > drives?
    >
    > Thanks is advance,
    > IK

  3. Re: Diskpart: Align local storage

    Thank you for your response.

    I agree each SAN vendor has its own recommendations.

    However, will diskpart alignment for local drives (not SAN drives) improve
    performance in any way shape or form?

    "John Fullbright" wrote:

    > It depends on the SAN. Some vendors already align partitions and others
    > don't. Check with your SAN vendor first.
    >

    > "IK" wrote in message
    > > Hello,
    > >
    > > We are using DISKPART to create and align partitions for the SAN drives.
    > > Will this be beneficial from the performance stand point to align local
    > > drives?
    > >
    > > Thanks is advance,
    > > IK

  4. Re: Diskpart: Align local storage

    > However, will diskpart alignment for local drives (not SAN drives) improve
    > performance in any way shape or form?

    I could or it couldn't, all depending on the adapter/controller you have,
    and how it handles cache/writes/reads and so on and so forth.
    However, usually the gain (if any) is minimal and does not outweigh the
    trouble and effort.

    My recommendation: if you are using a local (internal) disk for
    boot/system/C: do not align the partition, unless your hardware vendor
    specifically tells you differently.

    For SAN disks: always contact your storage vendor for the best practices !

    Rgds,
    Edwin.

  5. Re: Diskpart: Align local storage

    If you have really old drives. For modern drives probably not. In the
    days of 9GB SCSI drives there were 64 sectors per track; these days there's
    a variable number of secors per track. For modern drives, partition
    alignment has more to do with aligning cache slots than physical tracks.
    Again, this is highly dependent on the cache architecture, so .... ask your
    vendor.

    John

    "IK" wrote in message
    > Thank you for your response.
    >
    > I agree each SAN vendor has its own recommendations.
    >
    > However, will diskpart alignment for local drives (not SAN drives) improve
    > performance in any way shape or form?
    >

    > "John Fullbright" wrote:
    >
    >> It depends on the SAN. Some vendors already align partitions and others
    >> don't. Check with your SAN vendor first.
    >>

    >> "IK" wrote in message
    >> > Hello,
    >> >
    >> > We are using DISKPART to create and align partitions for the SAN
    >> > drives.
    >> > Will this be beneficial from the performance stand point to align local
    >> > drives?
    >> >
    >> > Thanks is advance,
    >> > IK

  6. Re: Diskpart: Align local storage

    We will have brand new HP DL380 G5 server with SAS drives and Smart Array
    P400 Controller or Smart Array E200 Controller.

    Does anyone know if this particular system needs alignment?

    "John Fullbright" wrote:

    > If you have really old drives. For modern drives probably not. In the
    > days of 9GB SCSI drives there were 64 sectors per track; these days there's
    > a variable number of secors per track. For modern drives, partition
    > alignment has more to do with aligning cache slots than physical tracks.
    > Again, this is highly dependent on the cache architecture, so .... ask your
    > vendor.
    >
    > John
    >

    > "IK" wrote in message
    > > Thank you for your response.
    > >
    > > I agree each SAN vendor has its own recommendations.
    > >
    > > However, will diskpart alignment for local drives (not SAN drives) improve
    > > performance in any way shape or form?
    > >

    > > "John Fullbright" wrote:
    > >
    > >> It depends on the SAN. Some vendors already align partitions and others
    > >> don't. Check with your SAN vendor first.
    > >>

    > >> "IK" wrote in message

  7. Re: Diskpart: Align local storage

    I will try to ask HP... The system we have is HP DL380 G5 server with SAS
    drives and Smart Array P400 Controller or Smart Array E200 Controller. I was
    looking on their website, but couldn't find any info.

    "Edwin vMierlo [MVP]" wrote:

    > > However, will diskpart alignment for local drives (not SAN drives) improve
    > > performance in any way shape or form?
    > >

    > I could or it couldn't, all depending on the adapter/controller you have,
    > and how it handles cache/writes/reads and so on and so forth.
    > However, usually the gain (if any) is minimal and does not outweigh the
    > trouble and effort.
    >
    > My recommendation: if you are using a local (internal) disk for
    > boot/system/C: do not align the partition, unless your hardware vendor
    > specifically tells you differently.
    >
    > For SAN disks: always contact your storage vendor for the best practices !
    >
    > Rgds,
    > Edwin.

  8. Re: Diskpart: Align local storage

    SmartArray controller's have always benefitted from alignment. I haven't
    looked at the P series but previous series have. You may want to experiment.
    (For Windows Vista and 2008, new partitions are now created on 1MB
    boundaries.)

    "IK" wrote:

    > We will have brand new HP DL380 G5 server with SAS drives and Smart Array
    > P400 Controller or Smart Array E200 Controller.
    >
    > Does anyone know if this particular system needs alignment?
    >
    > "John Fullbright" wrote:
    >
    > > If you have really old drives. For modern drives probably not. In the
    > > days of 9GB SCSI drives there were 64 sectors per track; these days there's
    > > a variable number of secors per track. For modern drives, partition
    > > alignment has more to do with aligning cache slots than physical tracks.
    > > Again, this is highly dependent on the cache architecture, so .... ask your
    > > vendor.
    > >
    > > John
    > >

    > > "IK" wrote in message
    > > > Thank you for your response.
    > > >
    > > > I agree each SAN vendor has its own recommendations.
    > > >
    > > > However, will diskpart alignment for local drives (not SAN drives) improve
    > > > performance in any way shape or form?

+ Reply to Thread