IIS 5 with Storage Server/NAS? - Storage

This is a discussion on IIS 5 with Storage Server/NAS? - Storage ; We're looking into getting a NAS server running Windows Storage Server, and I have a few basic questions that I haven't need mentioned in the documents I've read on it. First of all, can IIS5 (on a 2000 Server) machine ...

  1. IIS 5 with Storage Server/NAS?

    We're looking into getting a NAS server running Windows Storage Server, and I
    have a few basic questions that I haven't need mentioned in the documents
    I've read on it. First of all, can IIS5 (on a 2000 Server) machine use a WSS
    for hosting its files?

    Also we want to move users' home directories off one of our DCs, onto a WSS.
    Does WSS handle domain permissions the same as 200x Server? Does the WSS
    become a member of the domain?

    Thanks

  2. RE: IIS 5 with Storage Server/NAS?

    MJ,
    I'm not sure about hosting the web files, but I don't know of a reason why
    it wouldn't work - I just don't know about having a web server running with
    files on a different machine. The NAS should be able to join a domain and
    authenticate against it just fine - I have it setup that way in my test net
    and it works. Be aware that the default permissions are different between
    2000 and 2003 server. I think 2000 defaults to giving write permission and
    2003 is read-only, so if your directories are set to defaults, you may need
    to make some changes when you move them to 2003 NAS.

    Pat

    "MJ" wrote:

    > We're looking into getting a NAS server running Windows Storage Server, and I
    > have a few basic questions that I haven't need mentioned in the documents
    > I've read on it. First of all, can IIS5 (on a 2000 Server) machine use a WSS
    > for hosting its files?
    >
    > Also we want to move users' home directories off one of our DCs, onto a WSS.
    > Does WSS handle domain permissions the same as 200x Server? Does the WSS
    > become a member of the domain?
    >
    > Thanks

+ Reply to Thread