Removing first node from windows cluster - Storage

This is a discussion on Removing first node from windows cluster - Storage ; Hello all, is there anything i need to be aware of with removing the first node of a windows file cluster? i upgrading hardware and added 2 new boxes to the cluster and now i want to remove the old ...

  1. Removing first node from windows cluster

    Hello all,

    is there anything i need to be aware of with removing the first node of a
    windows file cluster? i upgrading hardware and added 2 new boxes to the
    cluster and now i want to remove the old but want to verify that there are no
    specific roles on the first noded in the cluster. Something similar to FSMO
    roles for DCs and system roles for Exchange Servers.

    Thanks in advance,
    Dan

  2. Re: Removing first node from windows cluster

    If you already sucsesfully added two (new) nodes to your cluster
    AND you have tested that you can move groups to/from those new nodes

    then you can "evict the node" using Cluster Administrator
    which will do exactly that.
    Disconnect your node from network / storage
    and... I always format the boot/internal drive(s), and either reinstall or
    scrap the hardware

    that should do it.

    Rgds,
    Edwin.

    "danflip" wrote in message
    > Hello all,
    >
    > is there anything i need to be aware of with removing the first node of a
    > windows file cluster? i upgrading hardware and added 2 new boxes to the
    > cluster and now i want to remove the old but want to verify that there are

    no
    > specific roles on the first noded in the cluster. Something similar to

    FSMO
    > roles for DCs and system roles for Exchange Servers.
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > Dan

  3. Re: Removing first node from windows cluster

    Thank you Edwin. I really appreciate the response.

    "Edwin vMierlo [MVP]" wrote:

    > If you already sucsesfully added two (new) nodes to your cluster
    > AND you have tested that you can move groups to/from those new nodes
    >
    > then you can "evict the node" using Cluster Administrator
    > which will do exactly that.
    > Disconnect your node from network / storage
    > and... I always format the boot/internal drive(s), and either reinstall or
    > scrap the hardware
    >
    > that should do it.
    >
    > Rgds,
    > Edwin.
    >

    > "danflip" wrote in message
    > > Hello all,
    > >
    > > is there anything i need to be aware of with removing the first node of a
    > > windows file cluster? i upgrading hardware and added 2 new boxes to the
    > > cluster and now i want to remove the old but want to verify that there are

    > no
    > > specific roles on the first noded in the cluster. Something similar to

    > FSMO
    > > roles for DCs and system roles for Exchange Servers.
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance,
    > > Dan

+ Reply to Thread