iSCSI volumes > 2TB - Storage

This is a discussion on iSCSI volumes > 2TB - Storage ; Hi, We're thinking of running a mail server for around 30,000 users that connects via iSCSI to a 6TB storage server. Would it be recommended to connect via iSCSI or just stick to a Windows CIFS/NAS connection in this case? ...

  1. iSCSI volumes > 2TB

    Hi,

    We're thinking of running a mail server for around 30,000 users that
    connects via iSCSI to a 6TB storage server. Would it be recommended to
    connect via iSCSI or just stick to a Windows CIFS/NAS connection in this
    case?

    Thanks.

  2. Re: iSCSI volumes > 2TB

    Sorry forgot to mention that it will just be the users' mailbox files that
    are stored on the storage box.

    "JHD" wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > We're thinking of running a mail server for around 30,000 users that
    > connects via iSCSI to a 6TB storage server. Would it be recommended to
    > connect via iSCSI or just stick to a Windows CIFS/NAS connection in this
    > case?
    >
    > Thanks.

  3. Re: iSCSI volumes > 2TB

    It really depends on the messaging application. Does the application expect
    block mode or file mode access to the mailbox files?

    iSCSI is a block mode protocol; CIFS is a file mode protocol.

    "JHD" wrote in message
    > Sorry forgot to mention that it will just be the users' mailbox files that
    > are stored on the storage box.
    >

    > "JHD" wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> We're thinking of running a mail server for around 30,000 users that
    >> connects via iSCSI to a 6TB storage server. Would it be recommended to
    >> connect via iSCSI or just stick to a Windows CIFS/NAS connection in this
    >> case?
    >>
    >> Thanks.

  4. Re: iSCSI volumes > 2TB

    We're going to be using Ipswitch Imail Server so file mode access. Would
    there be any advantage in using an iSCSI connection though in terms of
    performance?

    "John Fullbright" wrote in message
    > It really depends on the messaging application. Does the application
    > expect block mode or file mode access to the mailbox files?
    >
    > iSCSI is a block mode protocol; CIFS is a file mode protocol.
    >

    > "JHD" wrote in message
    >> Sorry forgot to mention that it will just be the users' mailbox files
    >> that are stored on the storage box.
    >>

    >> "JHD" wrote in message
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> We're thinking of running a mail server for around 30,000 users that
    >>> connects via iSCSI to a 6TB storage server. Would it be recommended to
    >>> connect via iSCSI or just stick to a Windows CIFS/NAS connection in this
    >>> case?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks.

  5. Re: iSCSI volumes > 2TB

    I think that's something you'd have to ask Ipswitch.

    "JHD" wrote in message
    > We're going to be using Ipswitch Imail Server so file mode access. Would
    > there be any advantage in using an iSCSI connection though in terms of
    > performance?
    >

    > "John Fullbright" wrote in message
    >> It really depends on the messaging application. Does the application
    >> expect block mode or file mode access to the mailbox files?
    >>
    >> iSCSI is a block mode protocol; CIFS is a file mode protocol.
    >>

    >> "JHD" wrote in message
    >>> Sorry forgot to mention that it will just be the users' mailbox files
    >>> that are stored on the storage box.
    >>>

    >>> "JHD" wrote in message

  6. Re: iSCSI volumes > 2TB

    Microsoft Windows Server 2003 SP1 and above includes support for gpt disks
    enabling >2T LUN support from the Windows host which includes connecting to
    iSCSI data volumes. You would have to check with your target manufacturer
    (fibre channel, iSCSI, SAS array, etc.) to verify that they also support >2T
    LUNs on their target array.
    http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device...e/GPT_FAQ.mspx

    To create/support gpt disks with Microsoft Cluster Server you also need the
    QFE for cluster:

    Suzanne Morgan (MSFT)

    "John Fullbright" wrote:

    > I think that's something you'd have to ask Ipswitch.
    >

    > "JHD" wrote in message
    > > We're going to be using Ipswitch Imail Server so file mode access. Would
    > > there be any advantage in using an iSCSI connection though in terms of
    > > performance?
    > >

    > > "John Fullbright" wrote in message
    > >> It really depends on the messaging application. Does the application
    > >> expect block mode or file mode access to the mailbox files?
    > >>
    > >> iSCSI is a block mode protocol; CIFS is a file mode protocol.
    > >>

    > >> "JHD" wrote in message

  7. Re: iSCSI volumes > 2TB

    SAN always better performance & compatibility then NAS

    Only update to SP1 or 64-bit Server (if hardware possible) to 2TB+ SAN
    volume support

    -Ichiro

    On Apr 23, 6:34 pm, "JHD" wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > We're thinking of running a mail server for around 30,000 users that
    > connects via iSCSI to a 6TB storage server. Would it be recommended to
    > connect via iSCSI or just stick to a Windows CIFS/NAS connection in this
    > case?
    >
    > Thanks.

+ Reply to Thread