Cluster Service not starting message on cluster node - Storage

This is a discussion on Cluster Service not starting message on cluster node - Storage ; Hi, I'm having a strange issue with our HP DL380 Storage Server - running Windows Storage Server 2003. The two nodes are in a cluster, but when one is rebooted, a message appears on the one that has been rebooted ...

  1. Cluster Service not starting message on cluster node

    Hi,
    I'm having a strange issue with our HP DL380 Storage Server - running
    Windows Storage Server 2003. The two nodes are in a cluster, but when one is
    rebooted, a message appears on the one that has been rebooted saying that a
    service has not started. When you log in and check, it is the cluster
    service. However, by the time you have logged in the checked, the service has
    started itself. I guess it keeps trying until it starts - but I wondered if
    there was a way of getting rid of the message on reboot. It doesn't look
    good on the live system to have to say, "Oh, ignore that message, it has
    really started". Anyone seen this before? I applied all the latest Storage
    Server updates in October 2006 - so unless there has been anything
    subsequently, I think its up to date. We are also running Veritas Volume
    Manager to shadow data disks - if that helps.
    Thanks,
    Phil

  2. Re: Cluster Service not starting message on cluster node

    Phil,

    I have seen this before, but really you need to investigates why the cluster
    service is not starting in the first place.
    I would start by analyzing the system event log for any messages related to
    cluster as well as the cluster.log file.

    furthermore, you might want to think of posting in the
    microsoft.public.windows.server.clustering group, this is where the cluster
    guru's are hanging out, and I am sure someone will be able to help you out
    further.

    Rgds,
    Edwin
    MVP - Windows Server - Clustering.

    "Phil" wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > I'm having a strange issue with our HP DL380 Storage Server - running
    > Windows Storage Server 2003. The two nodes are in a cluster, but when one

    is
    > rebooted, a message appears on the one that has been rebooted saying that

    > service has not started. When you log in and check, it is the cluster
    > service. However, by the time you have logged in the checked, the service

    has
    > started itself. I guess it keeps trying until it starts - but I wondered

    if
    > there was a way of getting rid of the message on reboot. It doesn't look
    > good on the live system to have to say, "Oh, ignore that message, it has
    > really started". Anyone seen this before? I applied all the latest

    Storage
    > Server updates in October 2006 - so unless there has been anything
    > subsequently, I think its up to date. We are also running Veritas Volume
    > Manager to shadow data disks - if that helps.
    > Thanks,
    > Phil

+ Reply to Thread