RE: MPIO DSM - Storage

This is a discussion on RE: MPIO DSM - Storage ; My humble opinion. I would look at Service Group and resources dependency policy. Do you have 1 big Service Group with alot of resources in it or resources spread out thru numerous service groups? When failover is initiated what is ...

  1. RE: MPIO DSM

    My humble opinion. I would look at Service Group and resources dependency
    policy. Do you have 1 big Service Group with alot of resources in it or
    resources spread out thru numerous service groups? When failover is initiated
    what is the resource dependency policy/order? Regards; MitVong

    "Vijay" wrote:

    > Clear DayWe are experiencing long delays in failing over resources from one cluster node to another and last evening the MPIO DSM VolumeInfo Manager service stopped causing more delay in failover of resources. Is there a way we can monitor or troubleshoot this service and the MPIO DSM.
    >
    > Is MPIO main culprit when failing over disk resources delays or fails?

  2. Re: MPIO DSM

    Hi,

    Not sure what exactly your question is, but if you are talking about MSCS
    setup and groups, then you should setup Cluster resources in the "default"
    Cluster Group (Cluster name, IP, Quorum disk, MSDTC). Then you split out
    groups per function/application, and add the resources to the groups as
    appropriate.

    Do NOT put all resources in the Cluster/Quorum Group.

    In regards to dependencies, there are default dependancies per resource.
    Example your network name is dependend on IP address resource. When you have
    an application in a group, that would probably dependent on disk(s) and
    Network Name.

    Your question is very generic. If you have a specific question on clustering
    I would advice you to post to one of the cluster newsgroups
    microsoft.public.windows.server.clustering
    microsoft.public.exchange.clustering
    microsoft.public.sqlserver.clustering

    HTH,
    Edwin.
    MVP - Windows Server - Clustering

    "SAN-Newbie" wrote in message
    > My humble opinion. I would look at Service Group and resources dependency
    > policy. Do you have 1 big Service Group with alot of resources in it or
    > resources spread out thru numerous service groups? When failover is

    initiated
    > what is the resource dependency policy/order? Regards; MitVong
    >
    > "Vijay" wrote:
    >
    > > Clear DayWe are experiencing long delays in failing over resources from

    one cluster node to another and last evening the MPIO DSM VolumeInfo Manager
    service stopped causing more delay in failover of resources. Is there a way
    we can monitor or troubleshoot this service and the MPIO DSM.

    > > Is MPIO main culprit when failing over disk resources delays or fails?

  3. Re: MPIO DSM

    Edwin;

    Can you help provide the correct URL to newsgroups referenced in your
    email? I am getting there via Google search instead of permannent URL in my
    favorites. Regards;

    "Edwin vMierlo [MVP]" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Not sure what exactly your question is, but if you are talking about MSCS
    > setup and groups, then you should setup Cluster resources in the "default"
    > Cluster Group (Cluster name, IP, Quorum disk, MSDTC). Then you split out
    > groups per function/application, and add the resources to the groups as
    > appropriate.
    >
    > Do NOT put all resources in the Cluster/Quorum Group.
    >
    > In regards to dependencies, there are default dependancies per resource.
    > Example your network name is dependend on IP address resource. When you have
    > an application in a group, that would probably dependent on disk(s) and
    > Network Name.
    >
    > Your question is very generic. If you have a specific question on clustering
    > I would advice you to post to one of the cluster newsgroups
    > microsoft.public.windows.server.clustering
    > microsoft.public.exchange.clustering
    > microsoft.public.sqlserver.clustering
    >
    > HTH,
    > Edwin.
    > MVP - Windows Server - Clustering
    >

    > "SAN-Newbie" wrote in message
    > > My humble opinion. I would look at Service Group and resources dependency
    > > policy. Do you have 1 big Service Group with alot of resources in it or
    > > resources spread out thru numerous service groups? When failover is

    > initiated
    > > what is the resource dependency policy/order? Regards; MitVong
    > >
    > > "Vijay" wrote:
    > >
    > > > Clear DayWe are experiencing long delays in failing over resources from

    > one cluster node to another and last evening the MPIO DSM VolumeInfo Manager
    > service stopped causing more delay in failover of resources. Is there a way
    > we can monitor or troubleshoot this service and the MPIO DSM.
    > > >
    > > > Is MPIO main culprit when failing over disk resources delays or fails?

  4. Re: MPIO DSM

    I never access group using google, I use a news reader (outlook express)

    but as an example try this link :
    http://groups.google.com/group/micro...pics?lnk=gschg

    I am sure from there you can get to others
    rgds,
    Edwin.

+ Reply to Thread