Lun size greater than 2TB in native Windows 2003 environment?? - Storage

This is a discussion on Lun size greater than 2TB in native Windows 2003 environment?? - Storage ; Without any Volumen Management from third party vendor. Can Windows 2003 manage Lun size ( drive letter) greater than 2TB? Let 's say I want to present 5 luns of 800G each to create 4TB drive letter? Do I need ...

  1. Lun size greater than 2TB in native Windows 2003 environment??

    Without any Volumen Management from third party vendor. Can Windows 2003
    manage Lun size ( drive letter) greater than 2TB? Let 's say I want to
    present 5 luns of 800G each to create 4TB drive letter? Do I need to call
    Veritas Volume Manager? or Windows 2003 comes with Disk/Volume management
    tool to help?
    If I can qualify and/or clarify my question then please advise.

    Thanks in advance;

    MitVongNam8487

  2. Re: Lun size greater than 2TB in native Windows 2003 environment??

    you can "span" a dynamic volume over the 5*800 to create your 4TB volume

    please note: if you have lots of files and lots of directories on your 4TB
    volume and you get NTFS corruption... then you might have to wait a couple
    of days (!!) before CHKDSK is done

    better: create 5 800GB partitions and manage your files better accross the 5
    partitions.

    "SAN-Newbie" wrote in message
    > Without any Volumen Management from third party vendor. Can Windows 2003
    > manage Lun size ( drive letter) greater than 2TB? Let 's say I want to
    > present 5 luns of 800G each to create 4TB drive letter? Do I need to call
    > Veritas Volume Manager? or Windows 2003 comes with Disk/Volume management
    > tool to help?
    > If I can qualify and/or clarify my question then please advise.
    >
    > Thanks in advance;
    >
    > MitVongNam8487

  3. Re: Lun size greater than 2TB in native Windows 2003 environment??

    I want to make sure I fully understand your response.
    Native Windows 2003 Disk Manager will allow me to span/concatenate multiple
    luns (800G) to create a logical drive letter (S/V, etc..) larger than 2TB.
    There is no need of third party software or Windows add-on product.

    Thanks for reply.

    Regards;

    "Edwin vMierlo" wrote:

    > you can "span" a dynamic volume over the 5*800 to create your 4TB volume
    >
    > please note: if you have lots of files and lots of directories on your 4TB
    > volume and you get NTFS corruption... then you might have to wait a couple
    > of days (!!) before CHKDSK is done
    >
    > better: create 5 800GB partitions and manage your files better accross the 5
    > partitions.
    >

    > "SAN-Newbie" wrote in message
    > > Without any Volumen Management from third party vendor. Can Windows 2003
    > > manage Lun size ( drive letter) greater than 2TB? Let 's say I want to
    > > present 5 luns of 800G each to create 4TB drive letter? Do I need to call
    > > Veritas Volume Manager? or Windows 2003 comes with Disk/Volume management
    > > tool to help?
    > > If I can qualify and/or clarify my question then please advise.
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance;
    > >
    > > MitVongNam8487

  4. Re: Lun size greater than 2TB in native Windows 2003 environment??

    > I want to make sure I fully understand your response.
    > Native Windows 2003 Disk Manager will allow me to span/concatenate

    multiple
    > luns (800G) to create a logical drive letter (S/V, etc..) larger than 2TB.

    Yes.

  5. Re: Lun size greater than 2TB in native Windows 2003 environment??

    Thanks Edwin.

    "Edwin vMierlo" wrote:

    > > I want to make sure I fully understand your response.
    > > Native Windows 2003 Disk Manager will allow me to span/concatenate

    > multiple
    > > luns (800G) to create a logical drive letter (S/V, etc..) larger than 2TB.

    > Yes.

  6. Re: Lun size greater than 2TB in native Windows 2003 environment??

    yes I second that.

    The only time you would require a third party LVM manager such as Veritas
    foundation is when you have to use MS cluster on that server. Since MSCS
    does not support dynamic disks and you cannot span multiple disks without
    dynamic disks.

    "SAN-Newbie" wrote:

    > Thanks Edwin.
    >
    > "Edwin vMierlo" wrote:
    >

    > > > I want to make sure I fully understand your response.
    > > > Native Windows 2003 Disk Manager will allow me to span/concatenate

    > > multiple
    > > > luns (800G) to create a logical drive letter (S/V, etc..) larger than 2TB.

    > > Yes.

+ Reply to Thread