Moving to W2k3 - keeping existing SAN data? - Storage

This is a discussion on Moving to W2k3 - keeping existing SAN data? - Storage ; Hi, I asked in the Win 2k3 newsgroup, before realising this group existed (switched to different Usenet server). I want to upgrade a machine to W2k3 but keep the data on the SAN. The upgrade will be hardware as well ...

  1. Moving to W2k3 - keeping existing SAN data?

    Hi,

    I asked in the Win 2k3 newsgroup, before realising this group existed
    (switched to different Usenet server).

    I want to upgrade a machine to W2k3 but keep the data on the SAN. The
    upgrade will be hardware as well (physically smaller box, faster et
    al).

    Can I keep the SAN volume set up and just mount it to a drive letter,
    and re-create the shares on the new W2k3 box? What happens to the
    permissions? What about root folder permissions on the drives, as I
    know W2k3 used different permissions?

    Any suggestions?
    Thanks.
    Andrew.

  2. Re: Moving to W2k3 - keeping existing SAN data?

    1. You can mount an existing SAN drive to a new Windows server. Upgrade
    from what OS? Are there any changes to NTFS between the old and new
    versions of the OS?

    2. If it's a member server, then worst case would be that you would bave to
    take ownership, but permissions per se (they're all domain accounts on the
    ACL or well known SIDs) would not need to change. Any shares would need to
    be recreated.

    "Andrew Hodgson" wrote in message
    news68pu2tbiapqod6rk4o2ahkp1e03ls2g6s@news.giganews.co m...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I asked in the Win 2k3 newsgroup, before realising this group existed
    > (switched to different Usenet server).
    >
    > I want to upgrade a machine to W2k3 but keep the data on the SAN. The
    > upgrade will be hardware as well (physically smaller box, faster et
    > al).
    >
    > Can I keep the SAN volume set up and just mount it to a drive letter,
    > and re-create the shares on the new W2k3 box? What happens to the
    > permissions? What about root folder permissions on the drives, as I
    > know W2k3 used different permissions?
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    > Thanks.
    > Andrew.

  3. Re: Moving to W2k3 - keeping existing SAN data?

    On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 07:48:20 -0700, "John Fullbright [MVP]"
    wrote:

    >1. You can mount an existing SAN drive to a new Windows server. Upgrade
    >from what OS? Are there any changes to NTFS between the old and new
    >versions of the OS?

    It was 2k Server SP4 to W2k3. Unfortunately although I mounted the
    drive shortly after this, the drive failed in the SAN, and I backed
    out to using a different technique, which also allows me to tidy up
    permissions etc.

    >2. If it's a member server, then worst case would be that you would bave to
    >take ownership, but permissions per se (they're all domain accounts on the
    >ACL or well known SIDs) would not need to change. Any shares would need to
    >be recreated.

    Yes, this was what happened.

    Thanks,
    Andrew.