WSS extend primary partition space - Storage

This is a discussion on WSS extend primary partition space - Storage ; I am using Windows Storage Server 2003. It has 1TB of disc space, but only 500GB is assigned to the C dirve. The remaining space is unallocated. How can I add the unallocated space to the C: without disturbing the ...

  1. WSS extend primary partition space

    I am using Windows Storage Server 2003. It has 1TB of disc space, but only
    500GB is assigned to the C dirve. The remaining space is unallocated. How
    can I add the unallocated space to the C: without disturbing the data already
    on the C: drive?

    Thanks
    Tom

  2. Re: WSS extend primary partition space

    Why don't you create a D:\ (for Data)
    "Tom25" wrote in message
    > I am using Windows Storage Server 2003. It has 1TB of disc space, but

    only
    > 500GB is assigned to the C dirve. The remaining space is unallocated.

    How
    > can I add the unallocated space to the C: without disturbing the data

    already
    > on the C: drive?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Tom

  3. Re: WSS extend primary partition space

    The Storage Server was shipped with 50% of the disc assigned to C:, so we
    have been using the C drive for backups. I suppose we could use Partition
    Magic to decrease the size of C:, and then create a large space on D:.

    It seems strange that Microsoft does not have the tools available to do this
    kind of disc management as a standard feature. Microsoft wants to be an
    Enterprise vendor yet they do not have Enterprise tools for disc management.
    Too bad.

    Thanks,
    Tom25

    "Edwin vMierlo" wrote:

    > Why don't you create a D:\ (for Data)
    > "Tom25" wrote in message
    > > I am using Windows Storage Server 2003. It has 1TB of disc space, but

    > only
    > > 500GB is assigned to the C dirve. The remaining space is unallocated.

    > How
    > > can I add the unallocated space to the C: without disturbing the data

    > already
    > > on the C: drive?
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > > Tom

  4. Re: WSS extend primary partition space

    Well, depends how you look at it, Microsoft has the diskpart.exe utility
    which allows you to extend a partition (dispart extend) and to extend a
    filesystem (dispart extend filesystem), just not for the boot/system volume.

    If you are running Storage Server; do you only have an internal disk ?
    (where the C: volume lives ?)

    "Tom25" wrote in message
    > The Storage Server was shipped with 50% of the disc assigned to C:, so we
    > have been using the C drive for backups. I suppose we could use Partition
    > Magic to decrease the size of C:, and then create a large space on D:.
    >
    > It seems strange that Microsoft does not have the tools available to do

    this
    > kind of disc management as a standard feature. Microsoft wants to be an
    > Enterprise vendor yet they do not have Enterprise tools for disc

    management.
    > Too bad.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Tom25
    >

    > "Edwin vMierlo" wrote:
    >
    > > Why don't you create a D:\ (for Data)
    > > "Tom25" wrote in message
    > > > I am using Windows Storage Server 2003. It has 1TB of disc space, but

    > > only
    > > > 500GB is assigned to the C dirve. The remaining space is unallocated.

    > > How
    > > > can I add the unallocated space to the C: without disturbing the data

    > > already
    > > > on the C: drive?
    > > >
    > > > Thanks
    > > > Tom

  5. Re: WSS extend primary partition space

    FYI but you can't use a workstation partitioning software like PM on a
    server. You need server software like acronis

    http://www.acronis.com/enterprise/pr.../diskdirector/

    even with it you can not add the space at the end of the drive to a
    partition at the beginning of the drive. if you try you will end up with
    garbage. solution is to backup and remove the data partition, enlarge your
    c: and then recreate the data space using the rest of the drive. Restore
    from backup and you are done.

+ Reply to Thread