Move programs to 2nd HD - Storage

This is a discussion on Move programs to 2nd HD - Storage ; I have a personal PC I put 2nd HD in w cable select. Is there a fast way to transfer programs from 1st HD to 2nd? Would there be any problems with Windows XP on one HD, programs on 2nd?...

  1. Move programs to 2nd HD

    I have a personal PC I put 2nd HD in w cable select. Is there a fast way to
    transfer programs from 1st HD to 2nd? Would there be any problems with
    Windows XP on one HD, programs on 2nd?

  2. Re: Move programs to 2nd HD

    On Feb 9, 1:31 am, Chris wrote:
    > I have a personal PC I put 2nd HD in w cable select. Is there a fast way to
    > transfer programs from 1st HD to 2nd? Would there be any problems with
    > Windows XP on one HD, programs on 2nd?

    If your programs folder is on an NTFS partition and your second HDD is
    formatted to NTFS, then you can do the following:
    1. Copy your Program Files folder to the second HDD.
    2. Boot into safe mode
    3. rename Program Files folder on HDD1 to something else "old_progs"
    4. Create a junction point called "Program Files" which points to the
    copied data on HDD2
    5. Reboot into normal mode
    6. Assuming all is working fine, delete the "old_progs" folder.

    I have done this successfully when my primary partition filled up
    because of Visual Studio installs.

+ Reply to Thread