Enterprise Server 2003 and SAN - Storage

This is a discussion on Enterprise Server 2003 and SAN - Storage ; I have a server DL380 (Windows Enterprise Server) and a MSA1000. This is the situation today. DL380 2 x 73Gb SCSI Hot-Swap MSA1000 6 x 72Gb SCSI Hot-Swap (Logical A (D:\, 3 in RAID-5), Logical B (E:\, 3 in RAID-5) ...

  1. Enterprise Server 2003 and SAN

    I have a server DL380 (Windows Enterprise Server) and a MSA1000.
    This is the situation today.
    DL380
    2 x 73Gb SCSI Hot-Swap

    MSA1000
    6 x 72Gb SCSI Hot-Swap
    (Logical A (D:\, 3 in RAID-5), Logical B (E:\, 3 in RAID-5)
    3 x 300Gb SCSI Hot-Swap (W:\, Logical C - RAID-5)

    Now I'll put a new 3 x 300Gb SCSI Hot-Swap, but this disks will be a
    replacement for the Logical A.
    But I have a big problem, Logical A have a lot of shares and permissions, so
    I don't make a copy of data.
    My solution, add the new volume in Windows and made a Mirror (in Windows),
    wait the synchronization, failed logical A and done.
    Windows cannot convert basics disks in MSA1000 to dynamic??
    I try and Windows cannot convert the disk D:\ in a Dynamic-disk, and none
    other MSA disks, just the local disks in the DL380.

    I need a solution for this, I think use ntbackup, made a backup for other
    volume, made a restore to new disks. But I don't like this solution, and I
    need some help or ideas.

    Thanks a lot, best regards.

    Emerson

  2. Re: Enterprise Server 2003 and SAN

    On Feb 8, 7:25 pm, Emerson Lombardi Machado
    wrote:
    > I have a server DL380 (Windows Enterprise Server) and a MSA1000.
    > This is the situation today.
    > DL380
    > 2 x 73Gb SCSI Hot-Swap
    >
    > MSA1000
    > 6 x 72Gb SCSI Hot-Swap
    > (Logical A (D:\, 3 in RAID-5), Logical B (E:\, 3 in RAID-5)
    > 3 x 300Gb SCSI Hot-Swap (W:\, Logical C - RAID-5)
    >
    > Now I'll put a new 3 x 300Gb SCSI Hot-Swap, but this disks will be a
    > replacement for the Logical A.
    > But I have a big problem, Logical A have a lot of shares and permissions, so
    > I don't make a copy of data.
    > My solution, add the new volume in Windows and made a Mirror (in Windows),
    > wait the synchronization, failed logical A and done.
    > Windows cannot convert basics disks in MSA1000 to dynamic??
    > I try and Windows cannot convert the disk D:\ in a Dynamic-disk, and none
    > other MSA disks, just the local disks in the DL380.
    >
    > I need a solution for this, I think use ntbackup, made a backup for other
    > volume, made a restore to new disks. But I don't like this solution, and I
    > need some help or ideas.
    >
    > Thanks a lot, best regards.
    >
    > Emerson

    There is a command in CMD>XCOPY
    Try to help then.
    Yours
    Miguel

  3. Re: Enterprise Server 2003 and SAN

    "grupos-google" wrote:

    > On Feb 8, 7:25 pm, Emerson Lombardi Machado
    > wrote:
    > > I have a server DL380 (Windows Enterprise Server) and a MSA1000.
    > > This is the situation today.
    > > DL380
    > > 2 x 73Gb SCSI Hot-Swap
    > >
    > > MSA1000
    > > 6 x 72Gb SCSI Hot-Swap
    > > (Logical A (D:\, 3 in RAID-5), Logical B (E:\, 3 in RAID-5)
    > > 3 x 300Gb SCSI Hot-Swap (W:\, Logical C - RAID-5)
    > >
    > > Now I'll put a new 3 x 300Gb SCSI Hot-Swap, but this disks will be a
    > > replacement for the Logical A.
    > > But I have a big problem, Logical A have a lot of shares and permissions, so
    > > I don't make a copy of data.
    > > My solution, add the new volume in Windows and made a Mirror (in Windows),
    > > wait the synchronization, failed logical A and done.
    > > Windows cannot convert basics disks in MSA1000 to dynamic??
    > > I try and Windows cannot convert the disk D:\ in a Dynamic-disk, and none
    > > other MSA disks, just the local disks in the DL380.
    > >
    > > I need a solution for this, I think use ntbackup, made a backup for other
    > > volume, made a restore to new disks. But I don't like this solution, and I
    > > need some help or ideas.
    > >
    > > Thanks a lot, best regards.
    > >
    > > Emerson

    > There is a command in CMD>XCOPY
    > Try to help then.
    > Yours
    > Miguel

    You are kidding with me no!?!??!
    Off-course that I know xcopy (my friend, I’m a “linuxer”…) but I don’t like
    this solution…

+ Reply to Thread