Volume mount fails after registry key Volume{Class-GUID} exceeds 9 - Storage

This is a discussion on Volume mount fails after registry key Volume{Class-GUID} exceeds 9 - Storage ; I am unable to create partition/assign drive letter for disk drive. Up on checking the registry "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\{71A27CDD-812A-11D0-BEC7-08002BE2092F}" the subkeys number reached maximum limit i.e 9999. ( http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro....mspx?mfr=true ) at the same time, if I delete a subkey from then ...

  1. Volume mount fails after registry key Volume{Class-GUID} exceeds 9

    I am unable to create partition/assign drive letter for disk drive. Up on
    checking the registry
    "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\{71A27CDD-812A-11D0-BEC7-08002BE2092F}"
    the subkeys number reached maximum limit i.e 9999.
    (
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro....mspx?mfr=true )

    at the same time, if I delete a subkey from then list, I am able to
    create/mount the volume.
    looks like, Windows keeps the subkeys of volumes which is no longer valid (
    disks were initially presented to the host and later removed)

    is this a microsoft limitation? is there any workaround to remove all the
    invalid references so that operation succeeds

  2. Re: Volume mount fails after registry key Volume{Class-GUID} exceeds 9

    you might be experiencing this : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/277222

    "paul wuehler" wuehler@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I am unable to create partition/assign drive letter for disk drive. Up on
    > checking the registry

    "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\{71A27CDD-812A-11
    D0-BEC7-08002BE2092F}"
    > the subkeys number reached maximum limit i.e 9999.
    > (

    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro....mspx?mfr=true )

    > at the same time, if I delete a subkey from then list, I am able to
    > create/mount the volume.
    > looks like, Windows keeps the subkeys of volumes which is no longer valid

    (
    > disks were initially presented to the host and later removed)
    >
    > is this a microsoft limitation? is there any workaround to remove all the
    > invalid references so that operation succeeds

+ Reply to Thread