Migrating old files to DVD - Storage

This is a discussion on Migrating old files to DVD - Storage ; Hi folks... I manage a W2K3 network in which we have a large backlog of old files on certain servers. I'm sure there's many of you out there that have this problem, I was wondering what you use for solutions. ...

  1. Migrating old files to DVD

    Hi folks...

    I manage a W2K3 network in which we have a large backlog of old files on
    certain servers. I'm sure there's many of you out there that have this
    problem, I was wondering what you use for solutions. Considering the fact
    that a huge percentage of my users have no idea what files they need on the
    server, plus no one ever has any time to dedicate to any sort of active
    investigation to clean this storage up.

    So my idea was that at the end of each year I would regularly migrate data
    that hasn't been touched in 2 years to DVD. In the ideal situation I would
    like it to keep the original folder heirarchy so that users that do know what
    folder their files were in have a chance of getting it back. I already have
    support from the top brass to do this (even though one of the big offenders
    is their server!).

    Now, we're already using DPM and NTBackup as a marvelous backup
    solution...so replacing files from backup is extremely fast and easy, but we
    really just need to clean these volumes off.

    Any ideas? I'm also a developer, so I could actually write a utility that
    does this, but I figure this has got to be a very common problem and there
    should be several solutions already out there. We're a school district, so
    cheap-free is what we're looking for.

  2. Re: Migrating old files to DVD

    http://www.firestreamer.com allows NTBackup to write directly to DVD.

    "Antipode" wrote in message
    newsBE2C953-03CB-40E2-821A-F14A0E5CA679@microsoft.com...
    > Hi folks...
    >
    > I manage a W2K3 network in which we have a large backlog of old files on
    > certain servers. I'm sure there's many of you out there that have this
    > problem, I was wondering what you use for solutions. Considering the fact
    > that a huge percentage of my users have no idea what files they need on
    > the
    > server, plus no one ever has any time to dedicate to any sort of active
    > investigation to clean this storage up.
    >
    > So my idea was that at the end of each year I would regularly migrate data
    > that hasn't been touched in 2 years to DVD. In the ideal situation I
    > would
    > like it to keep the original folder heirarchy so that users that do know
    > what
    > folder their files were in have a chance of getting it back. I already
    > have
    > support from the top brass to do this (even though one of the big
    > offenders
    > is their server!).
    >
    > Now, we're already using DPM and NTBackup as a marvelous backup
    > solution...so replacing files from backup is extremely fast and easy, but
    > we
    > really just need to clean these volumes off.
    >
    > Any ideas? I'm also a developer, so I could actually write a utility that
    > does this, but I figure this has got to be a very common problem and there
    > should be several solutions already out there. We're a school district,
    > so
    > cheap-free is what we're looking for.

+ Reply to Thread