Re: device manager and diskadmin.msc - Storage

This is a discussion on Re: device manager and diskadmin.msc - Storage ; there could be many reasons. Can you volunteer more info ? - version of OS, SP ? - what type of disk ? interface ? - size of disk ? NTFS partition / volume already on disk ? - anything ...

  1. Re: device manager and diskadmin.msc

    there could be many reasons.

    Can you volunteer more info ?
    - version of OS, SP ?
    - what type of disk ? interface ?
    - size of disk ? NTFS partition / volume already on disk ?
    - anything else you can think of which might be important to know ?

    "Luis" wrote in message
    > Hello, I was wondering if someone could explain why a disk device can be
    > detected by the device manager but not seen by the diskadmin plugin? in
    > Win2k3. I do not see any errors being shown in any of the event viewers.
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > Luis

  2. Re: device manager and diskadmin.msc

    Are you using 3rd party MPIO software ?

    "Luis" wrote in message
    > The OS in question is Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition Service pack 1
    > The disk is an MPIO Virtualized disk. The disk is 2G but it has not been
    > formatted.
    >
    > When installing the DSM, it tells me that a reboot may be required but if

    > do not reboot, I can see the storage and I can write the signature. If I

    do
    > this then I am able to see the disk after the reboot. If I do not (write

    the
    > signature), the disk does not appear.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Luis
    >
    > "Edwin vMierlo" wrote:
    >
    > > there could be many reasons.
    > >
    > > Can you volunteer more info ?
    > > - version of OS, SP ?
    > > - what type of disk ? interface ?
    > > - size of disk ? NTFS partition / volume already on disk ?
    > > - anything else you can think of which might be important to know ?
    > >

    > > "Luis" wrote in message
    > > > Hello, I was wondering if someone could explain why a disk device can

    be
    > > > detected by the device manager but not seen by the diskadmin plugin?

    in
    > > > Win2k3. I do not see any errors being shown in any of the event

    viewers.

    > > > Thanks in advance,
    > > >
    > > > Luis

  3. Re: device manager and diskadmin.msc

    There must be something in the code of gendsm to require a signature...that
    is where I would look first.
    I am not a driver developer, and would not be able to talk about the gendsm
    nor the mods you made... sorry.

    good luck,
    Edwin.

    "Luis" wrote in message
    > I am using the sample msdsm form the mpio sdk. The device's vendor &

    product
    > field have been added to the list of supported devices. A similarly

    modified
    > gendsm has worked flawlessly. The msdsm works also but only after the
    > intermediate step of writing the signatures to storage before the reboot.
    >
    > Luis
    >

    > "Edwin vMierlo" wrote:
    >
    > > Are you using 3rd party MPIO software ?
    > >

    > > "Luis" wrote in message
    > > > The OS in question is Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition Service

    pack 1
    > > > The disk is an MPIO Virtualized disk. The disk is 2G but it has not

    been
    > > > formatted.
    > > >
    > > > When installing the DSM, it tells me that a reboot may be required

    but if
    > > > do not reboot, I can see the storage and I can write the signature. If

    > > do
    > > > this then I am able to see the disk after the reboot. If I do not

    (write
    > > the
    > > > signature), the disk does not appear.
    > > >
    > > > Thanks.