convert to dynamic - Storage

This is a discussion on convert to dynamic - Storage ; I have server 2003 with 3 hard driver ... two are dynamic drives and one is basic ... boot and system partition is on basic drive ... I want to convert it to dynamic drive and i simply can't .. ...

  1. convert to dynamic

    I have server 2003 with 3 hard driver ... two are dynamic drives and one
    is basic ...
    boot and system partition is on basic drive ...
    I want to convert it to dynamic drive and i simply can't ..
    when I click on "convert to dynamic drive" i gat the menu to choose
    drives i want to convert .. I choose disk 0 ( the only available) ... i
    click ok and NOTHING ...
    no error ...
    nothing in logs
    ???

    any idea

  2. Re: convert to dynamic

    Is there any message in the system event log ?

    and just so we understand what you are doing: why do you want to upgrade to
    dynamic ?

    "Lobo" wrote in message
    > I have server 2003 with 3 hard driver ... two are dynamic drives and one
    > is basic ...
    > boot and system partition is on basic drive ...
    > I want to convert it to dynamic drive and i simply can't ..
    > when I click on "convert to dynamic drive" i gat the menu to choose
    > drives i want to convert .. I choose disk 0 ( the only available) ... i
    > click ok and NOTHING ...
    > no error ...
    > nothing in logs
    > ???
    >
    > any idea

  3. Re: convert to dynamic

    Edwin vMierlo wrote:
    > Is there any message in the system event log ?
    >
    > and just so we understand what you are doing: why do you want to upgrade to
    > dynamic ?

    Hi

    There is no events in system log .

    I want to put my system partition (c drive) into RAID 1 (mirror) ... as
    I said, I have two more hard disks that are already dynamic disks and i
    have enough unallocated space on one of them to mirror my C partition

    THX in advace

  4. Re: convert to dynamic

    what happens if you use diskpart.exe (from the command line) ?

    you can use the "convert dynamic" operation from within diskpart to convert
    to dynamic disk.
    see : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/300415/ and

    rgds,
    Edwin.

    "Lobo" wrote in message

    > Edwin vMierlo wrote:
    > > Is there any message in the system event log ?
    > >
    > > and just so we understand what you are doing: why do you want to upgrade

    > > dynamic ?
    > >

    > Hi
    >
    > There is no events in system log .
    >
    > I want to put my system partition (c drive) into RAID 1 (mirror) ... as
    > I said, I have two more hard disks that are already dynamic disks and i
    > have enough unallocated space on one of them to mirror my C partition
    >
    > THX in advace

  5. Re: convert to dynamic

    I'll try and let You know

    THX

    Edwin vMierlo wrote:
    > what happens if you use diskpart.exe (from the command line) ?
    >
    > you can use the "convert dynamic" operation from within diskpart to convert
    > to dynamic disk.
    > see : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/300415/ and
    > http://technet2.microsoft.com/Window....mspx?mfr=true
    >
    > rgds,
    > Edwin.
    >

    > "Lobo" wrote in message
    >>
    >> Edwin vMierlo wrote:
    >>> Is there any message in the system event log ?
    >>>
    >>> and just so we understand what you are doing: why do you want to upgrade

    >>> dynamic ?
    >>>

    >> Hi
    >>
    >> There is no events in system log .
    >>
    >> I want to put my system partition (c drive) into RAID 1 (mirror) ... as
    >> I said, I have two more hard disks that are already dynamic disks and i
    >> have enough unallocated space on one of them to mirror my C partition
    >>
    >> THX in advace

  6. Re: convert to dynamic

    I have tried with diskpart and the responce was :

    "The disk management services could not complete the operation"

    Edwin vMierlo wrote:
    > what happens if you use diskpart.exe (from the command line) ?
    >
    > you can use the "convert dynamic" operation from within diskpart to convert
    > to dynamic disk.
    > see : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/300415/ and
    > http://technet2.microsoft.com/Window....mspx?mfr=true
    >
    > rgds,

  7. Re: convert to dynamic

    anything in the event logs ?

    "Lobo" wrote in message
    > I have tried with diskpart and the responce was :
    >
    > "The disk management services could not complete the operation"
    >

    > Edwin vMierlo wrote:
    > > what happens if you use diskpart.exe (from the command line) ?
    > >
    > > you can use the "convert dynamic" operation from within diskpart to

    convert
    > > to dynamic disk.
    > > see : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/300415/ and

    > > rgds,

  8. Re: convert to dynamic

    NO ... nothing

    Edwin vMierlo wrote:
    > anything in the event logs ?
    >

    > "Lobo" wrote in message
    >> I have tried with diskpart and the responce was :
    >>
    >> "The disk management services could not complete the operation"

  9. Re: convert to dynamic

    How many free space do you have on c:\ ?

    "Lobo" wrote in message
    > NO ... nothing
    >

    > Edwin vMierlo wrote:
    > > anything in the event logs ?
    > >

    > > "Lobo" wrote in message
    > >> I have tried with diskpart and the responce was :
    > >>
    > >> "The disk management services could not complete the operation"

  10. Re: convert to dynamic

    7.5 Gb ...

    Take a look here ...
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/826823/

    Edwin vMierlo wrote:
    > How many free space do you have on c:\ ?
    >

    > "Lobo" wrote in message
    >> NO ... nothing
    >>

    >> Edwin vMierlo wrote:
    >>> anything in the event logs ?
    >>>

    >>> "Lobo" wrote in message

  11. Re: convert to dynamic

    I was looking at the same, just now...

    ;-)

    So, call MS and get the hotfix...

    "Lobo" wrote in message
    > 7.5 Gb ...
    >
    > Take a look here ...
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/826823/
    >

    > Edwin vMierlo wrote:
    > > How many free space do you have on c:\ ?
    > >

    > > "Lobo" wrote in message
    > >> NO ... nothing

  12. Re: convert to dynamic

    Well, this is home installation ... no licence - no support...

    I guess i'll have to wait for sp2

    Edwin vMierlo wrote:
    > I was looking at the same, just now...
    >
    > ;-)
    >
    > So, call MS and get the hotfix...
    >

    > "Lobo" wrote in message

  13. Re: convert to dynamic

    you can call to get a hotfix, just call and tell them the KB number
    MS will send you the hotfix by email.... at no cost !

    rgds,
    Edwin.

    "Lobo" wrote in message
    > Well, this is home installation ... no licence - no support...
    >
    > I guess i'll have to wait for sp2
    >

    > Edwin vMierlo wrote:
    > > I was looking at the same, just now...
    > >
    > > ;-)
    > >
    > > So, call MS and get the hotfix...
    > >

    > > "Lobo" wrote in message

  14. Re: convert to dynamic

    Where are U ..???

    conversation is over or what ???

    Edwin vMierlo wrote:
    > I was looking at the same, just now...
    >
    > ;-)
    >
    > So, call MS and get the hotfix...

  15. Re: convert to dynamic

    really ... i thought that's not possible .. then why it's not available
    for download ... that would make things much easier ..

    Lobo

    Edwin vMierlo wrote:
    > you can call to get a hotfix, just call and tell them the KB number
    > MS will send you the hotfix by email.... at no cost !
    >
    > rgds,
    > Edwin.

  16. Re: convert to dynamic

    These hotfixes are only there if you really have the problem, that is why
    they are not available for general download.
    It protects people from *just installing* because it is *available*

    "Lobo" wrote in message
    > really ... i thought that's not possible .. then why it's not available
    > for download ... that would make things much easier ..
    >
    > Lobo
    >
    > Edwin vMierlo wrote:
    > > you can call to get a hotfix, just call and tell them the KB number
    > > MS will send you the hotfix by email.... at no cost !
    > >
    > > rgds,
    > > Edwin.

  17. Re: convert to dynamic

    I'll try ...
    THX a lot ... you've been very helpful

    bye

    Edwin vMierlo wrote:
    > These hotfixes are only there if you really have the problem, that is why
    > they are not available for general download.
    > It protects people from *just installing* because it is *available*
    >

    > "Lobo" wrote in message
    >> really ... i thought that's not possible .. then why it's not available
    >> for download ... that would make things much easier ..
    >>
    >> Lobo
    >>
    >> Edwin vMierlo wrote:
    >>> you can call to get a hotfix, just call and tell them the KB number
    >>> MS will send you the hotfix by email.... at no cost !
    >>>
    >>> rgds,
    >>> Edwin.

  18. Re: convert to dynamic

    R U still here ....

    I got the hotfix from microsoft but when I try to install it it says
    thet it can be installed only on systems with NO service packs applied
    ... ( my sever is WITH SP1 )...

    it also says that:" Service packs version of the system installed is
    newer then the update You are applying to it."

    ... so i guess I'm at the same position where I was few days ago...

    Lobo wrote:
    > I'll try ...
    > THX a lot ... you've been very helpful
    >
    > bye

  19. Re: convert to dynamic

    Sorry for the late response, I took a break during the holiday season....

    Let me start with ... Happy New Year to you !

    I guess we are indeed back where we started, and we are running out of
    options.

    Not sure where to go from here.
    - If you really want to convert to dynamic, then involve Microsoft PSS
    support
    - or, alternatively... do not convert to dynamic, however I understand that
    you want a software-RAID-1 for your volume.

    rgds,
    Edwin.

    "Lobo" wrote in message
    > R U still here ....
    >
    > I got the hotfix from microsoft but when I try to install it it says
    > thet it can be installed only on systems with NO service packs applied
    > .. ( my sever is WITH SP1 )...
    >
    > it also says that:" Service packs version of the system installed is
    > newer then the update You are applying to it."
    >
    > ... so i guess I'm at the same position where I was few days ago...
    >

    > Lobo wrote:
    > > I'll try ...
    > > THX a lot ... you've been very helpful
    > >
    > > bye

  20. Re: convert to dynamic

    I am afraid using software RAID, aka dynamic disks is a terrible idea
    for may reasons. In todays day and age, you can purchase very
    inexpensive hardware to provide these features to you. Even when you
    get a software mirror created it most likely not boot for you.

    Reasons why Windows NT does not boot from a shadow mirror drive
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/167045

    This techology is only useful for a single reason. You business
    requirements absolutely maintain you cannot have a second of downtime
    to add storage to your machine. Dynamic disks allow you to add storage
    to a volume set on the fly. With hot fixes released monthly, I doubt
    you have these requirements.

    Use Basic disks and diskpart.exe.

    Dave

+ Reply to Thread