Re: iSCSI volumes larger than 2TB (2048GB) - Storage

This is a discussion on Re: iSCSI volumes larger than 2TB (2048GB) - Storage ; Brandon, Please see this article http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device...e/LUN_SP1.mspx The changes were made in the "SCSI-3 Block Commands-2 command set" I would check if your (iSCSI)storage is compatible with this. Contact your storage vendor if it is not clear And a word of ...

  1. Re: iSCSI volumes larger than 2TB (2048GB)

    Brandon,

    Please see this article
    http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device...e/LUN_SP1.mspx

    The changes were made in the "SCSI-3 Block Commands-2 command set"
    I would check if your (iSCSI)storage is compatible with this. Contact your
    storage vendor if it is not clear

    And a word of caution:

    When creating NTFS volumes of this size one should realize that if NTFS gets
    corrupted (for whatever reason) and you need to run chkdsk or any other data
    repair tool, that it might take a very long time to complete. In general it
    is better to run multiple smaller partitions/filesystems, and manage the
    data across these partitions.
    Smaller partitions in combination with mountpoints is a far better solution
    in regards to chkdsk / searching then one big volume.

    I have seen people with NTFS corruption on a large volume, with billions of
    files. then suddenly a chkdsk run takes 72 hours or more.
    AND during the chkdsk run, all storage is offline, the whole >2TB volume is
    offline

    If you partition in smaller NTFS partitions, you get the following
    advandtages:
    - chkdsk runs faster because it is a smaller volume
    - during chkdsk, not all your storage is offline, only the (small) volume
    where you are running chkdsk

    HTH,
    Edwin.

    "Brandon Bates" Bates@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I know windows 2003 SP1 is supposed to support volumes larger than 2TB now
    > with GPT partitioning. But when I present a volume any larger than just

    shy
    > of 2048GB it says unrecognized disk or unknown disk (Can't remember). I
    > tried a 3TB volume then an exactly 2048GB (2*1024*1024*1024*1024) and had

    > go 1024k less than that to get it to see it. I'm assuming this is a
    > limitation of iSCSI and not something else?

  2. Re: iSCSI volumes larger than 2TB (2048GB)

    How abt windows 2000? what is the max size i can add from DS300?

  3. Re: iSCSI volumes larger than 2TB (2048GB)

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/140365/

    2TB max.

    "cosy" wrote in message
    news:1166362060.911606.271900@80g2000cwy.googlegro ups.com...
    > How abt windows 2000? what is the max size i can add from DS300?

+ Reply to Thread