Difference between Tier 1 and Tier 3 Storage - Storage

This is a discussion on Difference between Tier 1 and Tier 3 Storage - Storage ; During the implementation, the consultant mentions that we can use Tier 1 or Tier 3 storage. However, he hasn't mentioned what they are. Would it be possible to give me some advice on what they are ? Do they mean ...

  1. Difference between Tier 1 and Tier 3 Storage

    During the implementation, the consultant mentions that we can use Tier 1 or
    Tier 3 storage. However, he hasn't mentioned what they are.

    Would it be possible to give me some advice on what they are ? Do they mean
    the difference of importance of information or the storage ?

    He has mentioned FC SAN, iSCSI and NAS. Is it related to this storage
    configuration ?

    Many thanks
    Peter

  2. Re: Difference between Tier 1 and Tier 3 Storage

    Peter,

    It all depends on the context, and you should ask the consultant to explain
    what he/she means with those terms.
    Your consultant should ensure that you understand his/her findings and
    recommendations. Ask questions !

    Many people use Tier-X terminology for different things.

    In regards of "difference in importance", yes I have seen Tier-X terminology
    used in this context, but really you should ask the consultant to explain
    (that is what I would do, if I am not 100% sure what a consultant means or
    what context he is talking about, I will ask the question... hey! that's why
    you pay the big_bucks to them!)

    In regards of the terms "FC SAN, iSCSI and NAS" yes, these are *storage*
    terms.
    - FC SAN and iSCSI are two methods of connecting servers and hosts to
    storage using a *block protocol*,
    - NAS is connecting servers and hosts using a *file server protocol*. Think
    of a file-server, a windows server with shares and workstations connecting
    over your IP network to these shares.
    - And you have storage combining all of those in one solution.

    Windows Servers in a Storage Area Network (SAN)Environment
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...oy/mssans.mspx
    (this covers FC SAN and iSCSI)

    Network Attached Storage (NAS) questions
    (just some simple definitions, again think of it as a fileserver)

    HTH,
    _Edwin.

    "Peter" wrote in message
    > During the implementation, the consultant mentions that we can use Tier 1

    or
    > Tier 3 storage. However, he hasn't mentioned what they are.
    >
    > Would it be possible to give me some advice on what they are ? Do they

    mean
    > the difference of importance of information or the storage ?
    >
    > He has mentioned FC SAN, iSCSI and NAS. Is it related to this storage
    > configuration ?
    >
    > Many thanks
    > Peter

  3. Re: Difference between Tier 1 and Tier 3 Storage

    Dear Edwin,

    Many thanks for your help.

    He mentions that if there is budget is OK, we can use "All Tier 1 Storage"
    but if there is budget problem, "Tier 3 Storage" is still OK.

    At the present moment, we are using EMC CX300 SAN and he says that it is
    Tier 2 Storage.

    Thanks
    Peter

+ Reply to Thread