Path lenght - Storage

This is a discussion on Path lenght - Storage ; I'm facing a problem with a user and I think i found the reason of this problem, and i would like to have the opinion of some of you please ? Recently some files have been transfered from a local ...

  1. Path lenght

    I'm facing a problem with a user and I think i found the reason of this
    problem, and i would like to have the opinion of some of you please ?

    Recently some files have been transfered from a local computer, to the
    server. Then couple days ago, he is telling that he miss some files. After
    some troubleshooting, i'm suspecting that the missing files are due to the
    lenght of the path. All the missing files are centralized deep in his folder
    structure..... that is the reason why im suspecting that.

    But my exact question is, is it possible, that because the path was too long
    ...... the file havent been copied in those sub folder ??? I'm trying to doing
    recovery on his old computer (it as been reformated) .... but i'm curious to
    find the reason why all that happend.

    I had other problems related to path lenght in the past (unable to open...),
    but nothing like file missing.

  2. Re: Path lenght

    very dificult to answer a question like this, you really need to volunteer
    more info for us.

    1) what is the exact path a the application, which tries to open the files,
    is using ?
    2) what it the exact path on the server ?
    3) what application was used to "transfer" the files ?
    4) what application is used to open the files, but report them "missing" ?
    5) when it reports it "missing" what is the exact error ?
    6) any errors in the application event log or system event log ?

    (anywhere you see path in the above questions, please include the file-name
    as well)

    thanks,
    Edwin.

    "Steevie" wrote in message
    > I'm facing a problem with a user and I think i found the reason of this
    > problem, and i would like to have the opinion of some of you please ?
    >
    > Recently some files have been transfered from a local computer, to the
    > server. Then couple days ago, he is telling that he miss some files. After
    > some troubleshooting, i'm suspecting that the missing files are due to the
    > lenght of the path. All the missing files are centralized deep in his

    folder
    > structure..... that is the reason why im suspecting that.
    >
    > But my exact question is, is it possible, that because the path was too

    long
    > ..... the file havent been copied in those sub folder ??? I'm trying to

    doing
    > recovery on his old computer (it as been reformated) .... but i'm curious

    > find the reason why all that happend.
    >
    > I had other problems related to path lenght in the past (unable to

    open...),
    > but nothing like file missing.

  3. Re: Path lenght

    Huuum ok, i'll try to answer the best i can. But don't forget, my question is
    more general, to know if its a possibility that the files havent been copied
    at all.

    1) C:\WINDOWS\explorer
    2) I don't think i can post the path of the files here, since it is very
    sensitive data from the customers of my customers.
    3) Windows explorer
    4) Windows explorer
    5) No error, the folder is just empty when we browse it. Either he deleted
    them by mistake and he dont want to say, or the files havent been transfered
    at all .....
    6) No error. neither

    I know it still not 100% clear, but i hope you'll be able to tell me if its
    a possibility or not.

    Thanks.

    "Edwin vMierlo" wrote:

    > very dificult to answer a question like this, you really need to volunteer
    > more info for us.
    >
    > 1) what is the exact path a the application, which tries to open the files,
    > is using ?
    > 2) what it the exact path on the server ?
    > 3) what application was used to "transfer" the files ?
    > 4) what application is used to open the files, but report them "missing" ?
    > 5) when it reports it "missing" what is the exact error ?
    > 6) any errors in the application event log or system event log ?
    >
    > (anywhere you see path in the above questions, please include the file-name
    > as well)
    >
    > thanks,
    > Edwin.
    >

    > "Steevie" wrote in message
    > > I'm facing a problem with a user and I think i found the reason of this
    > > problem, and i would like to have the opinion of some of you please ?
    > >
    > > Recently some files have been transfered from a local computer, to the
    > > server. Then couple days ago, he is telling that he miss some files. After
    > > some troubleshooting, i'm suspecting that the missing files are due to the
    > > lenght of the path. All the missing files are centralized deep in his

    > folder
    > > structure..... that is the reason why im suspecting that.
    > >
    > > But my exact question is, is it possible, that because the path was too

    > long
    > > ..... the file havent been copied in those sub folder ??? I'm trying to

    > doing
    > > recovery on his old computer (it as been reformated) .... but i'm curious

    > > find the reason why all that happend.
    > >
    > > I had other problems related to path lenght in the past (unable to

    > open...),
    > > but nothing like file missing.

  4. Re: Path lenght

    Steevie,

    I don't think the I can answer the question:

    Could it be that the files were not copied at all -> could be
    Could it be that the files when copying were interupted -> could be
    Could it be that the user deleted them -> could be
    Could it be.... -> could be

    there are too many variables here to be precise.

    The only thing you can do is setup a test share/folder structure, equally
    deep as your problem, and test it yourself

    rgds,
    Edwin.

    ?
    > > 5) when it reports it "missing" what is the exact error ?
    > > 6) any errors in the application event log or system event log ?
    > >
    > > (anywhere you see path in the above questions, please include the

    file-name
    > > as well)
    > >
    > > thanks,
    > > Edwin.
    > >

    > > "Steevie" wrote in message
    > > > I'm facing a problem with a user and I think i found the reason of

    this
    > > > problem, and i would like to have the opinion of some of you please ?
    > > >
    > > > Recently some files have been transfered from a local computer, to the
    > > > server. Then couple days ago, he is telling that he miss some files.

    After
    > > > some troubleshooting, i'm suspecting that the missing files are due to

    the
    > > > lenght of the path. All the missing files are centralized deep in his

    > > folder
    > > > structure..... that is the reason why im suspecting that.
    > > >
    > > > But my exact question is, is it possible, that because the path was

    too
    > > long
    > > > ..... the file havent been copied in those sub folder ??? I'm trying

    > > doing
    > > > recovery on his old computer (it as been reformated) .... but i'm

    curious
    > > > find the reason why all that happend.
    > > >
    > > > I had other problems related to path lenght in the past (unable to

    > > open...),
    > > > but nothing like file missing.

  5. Re: Path lenght

    Try this KB for more info

    Cheers

    "Edwin vMierlo" wrote:

    > Steevie,
    >
    > I don't think the I can answer the question:
    >
    > Could it be that the files were not copied at all -> could be
    > Could it be that the files when copying were interupted -> could be
    > Could it be that the user deleted them -> could be
    > Could it be.... -> could be
    >
    > there are too many variables here to be precise.
    >
    > The only thing you can do is setup a test share/folder structure, equally
    > deep as your problem, and test it yourself
    >
    > rgds,
    > Edwin.
    >

    > "Steevie" wrote in message
    > > Huuum ok, i'll try to answer the best i can. But don't forget, my question

    > is
    > > more general, to know if its a possibility that the files havent been

    > copied
    > > at all.
    > >
    > > 1) C:\WINDOWS\explorer
    > > 2) I don't think i can post the path of the files here, since it is very
    > > sensitive data from the customers of my customers.
    > > 3) Windows explorer
    > > 4) Windows explorer
    > > 5) No error, the folder is just empty when we browse it. Either he deleted
    > > them by mistake and he dont want to say, or the files havent been

    > transfered
    > > at all .....
    > > 6) No error. neither
    > >
    > > I know it still not 100% clear, but i hope you'll be able to tell me if

    > its
    > > a possibility or not.
    > >
    > > Thanks.
    > >
    > > "Edwin vMierlo" wrote:
    > >
    > > > very dificult to answer a question like this, you really need to

    > volunteer
    > > > more info for us.
    > > >
    > > > 1) what is the exact path a the application, which tries to open the

    > files,
    > > > is using ?
    > > > 2) what it the exact path on the server ?
    > > > 3) what application was used to "transfer" the files ?
    > > > 4) what application is used to open the files, but report them "missing"

    > ?
    > > > 5) when it reports it "missing" what is the exact error ?
    > > > 6) any errors in the application event log or system event log ?
    > > >
    > > > (anywhere you see path in the above questions, please include the

    > file-name
    > > > as well)
    > > >
    > > > thanks,
    > > > Edwin.
    > > >

    > > > "Steevie" wrote in message

    > this

    > After

    > the
    > > > folder

    > too
    > > > long

    > > > doing

    > curious

    > > > open...),

  6. RE: Path lenght

    "Steevie" wrote:

    > I'm facing a problem with a user and I think i found the reason of this
    > problem, and i would like to have the opinion of some of you please ?
    >
    > Recently some files have been transfered from a local computer, to the
    > server. Then couple days ago, he is telling that he miss some files. After
    > some troubleshooting, i'm suspecting that the missing files are due to the
    > lenght of the path. All the missing files are centralized deep in his folder
    > structure..... that is the reason why im suspecting that.
    >
    > But my exact question is, is it possible, that because the path was too long
    > ..... the file havent been copied in those sub folder ??? I'm trying to doing
    > recovery on his old computer (it as been reformated) .... but i'm curious to
    > find the reason why all that happend.
    >
    > I had other problems related to path lenght in the past (unable to open...),
    > but nothing like file missing.

+ Reply to Thread