SAN storage on a cluster - Storage

This is a discussion on SAN storage on a cluster - Storage ; Is there a better alternative to setting up physical drives, with drive letters, when attaching SAN storage to a cluster (Server 2003 w/SP1)? Can you use mount points or something, and, are there any advantages or disadvantages? Thanks!...

  1. SAN storage on a cluster

    Is there a better alternative to setting up physical drives, with drive
    letters, when attaching SAN storage to a cluster (Server 2003 w/SP1)? Can
    you use mount points or something, and, are there any advantages or
    disadvantages?

    Thanks!

  2. Re: SAN storage on a cluster

    I guess the disadvantage of drive letters is there are only 26 drive
    letters. Four or 5 of these are alreadt used (the boot partition, floppy,
    CD etc) With 2003, you can use mount points. Mount point add a certail
    level of complexity (the stub to which you mount the drives must come on
    line first - dependencies). Unless you run out of drive letters, I wouldn't
    introduce added the added complexity. In the past, I've mapped the CD rom
    to "B" to gain a drive letter and avoid introducing mount points.

    John

    "Bill Bradley" wrote in message
    > Is there a better alternative to setting up physical drives, with drive
    > letters, when attaching SAN storage to a cluster (Server 2003 w/SP1)? Can
    > you use mount points or something, and, are there any advantages or
    > disadvantages?
    >
    > Thanks!

  3. Re: SAN storage on a cluster

    I figured it was more complex...thanks.

    My alternative to adding MORE drives is to use BIGGER drives. I was
    limiting them to 750 GB, but, guess I could go to a TB or more? I know that
    this increases restore and repair time, but, don't see a good alternate...

    Thanks, again!

    "John Fullbright [MVP]" wrote:

    > I guess the disadvantage of drive letters is there are only 26 drive
    > letters. Four or 5 of these are alreadt used (the boot partition, floppy,
    > CD etc) With 2003, you can use mount points. Mount point add a certail
    > level of complexity (the stub to which you mount the drives must come on
    > line first - dependencies). Unless you run out of drive letters, I wouldn't
    > introduce added the added complexity. In the past, I've mapped the CD rom
    > to "B" to gain a drive letter and avoid introducing mount points.
    >
    > John
    >
    > "Bill Bradley" wrote in message
    > > Is there a better alternative to setting up physical drives, with drive
    > > letters, when attaching SAN storage to a cluster (Server 2003 w/SP1)? Can
    > > you use mount points or something, and, are there any advantages or
    > > disadvantages?
    > >
    > > Thanks!

+ Reply to Thread