Windows storage server 2003 - Migration? - Storage

This is a discussion on Windows storage server 2003 - Migration? - Storage ; We currently have a SAN environment in place. Now we need to migrate to a NAS gateway. As we all know it´s a big headache to buy a NAS head because it involves copying all your data from an NTFS ...

  1. Windows storage server 2003 - Migration?

    We currently have a SAN environment in place.
    Now we need to migrate to a NAS gateway.

    As we all know it´s a big headache to buy a NAS head because
    it involves copying all your data from an NTFS SAN volume to a NAS specific
    filesystem. Every vendor has it´s own file system.

    My question is, is there any copying involved when migrating my ntfs volume
    to a microsoft NAS? It uses an NTFS filesystem right? So it´s really just to
    put the microsoft NAS in front of the SAN and use it as a gateway?

    Could anyone clarify this for me?

  2. Re: Windows storage server 2003 - Migration?

    Yep. Assuming that the current LUN is owned by a MS Server, you can just
    have the LUN be owned by the Storage Server box instead. What won't
    transfer are any shares as they are stored in the registry & not the file
    system. ACLs are part of the file, so they will stay in place.

    If that doesn't work, you can leverage the File Server Migration tool that
    will take some of the drudgery out.

    Pat

    "Jon Ingi" Ingi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > We currently have a SAN environment in place.
    > Now we need to migrate to a NAS gateway.
    >
    > As we all know it´s a big headache to buy a NAS head because
    > it involves copying all your data from an NTFS SAN volume to a NAS
    > specific
    > filesystem. Every vendor has it´s own file system.
    >
    > My question is, is there any copying involved when migrating my ntfs
    > volume
    > to a microsoft NAS? It uses an NTFS filesystem right? So it´s really just
    > put the microsoft NAS in front of the SAN and use it as a gateway?
    >
    > Could anyone clarify this for me?

  3. Re: Windows storage server 2003 - Migration?

    So to summarise this is just like transferring an ntfs hard drive from one
    windows server to another? It will recognise any data there and there will be
    need to copy anything between the two?

    "Pat [MSFT}" wrote:

    > Yep. Assuming that the current LUN is owned by a MS Server, you can just
    > have the LUN be owned by the Storage Server box instead. What won't
    > transfer are any shares as they are stored in the registry & not the file
    > system. ACLs are part of the file, so they will stay in place.
    >
    > If that doesn't work, you can leverage the File Server Migration tool that
    > will take some of the drudgery out.
    >

    > Pat
    >
    > "Jon Ingi" Ingi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > We currently have a SAN environment in place.
    > > Now we need to migrate to a NAS gateway.
    > >
    > > As we all know it´s a big headache to buy a NAS head because
    > > it involves copying all your data from an NTFS SAN volume to a NAS
    > > specific
    > > filesystem. Every vendor has it´s own file system.
    > >
    > > My question is, is there any copying involved when migrating my ntfs
    > > volume
    > > to a microsoft NAS? It uses an NTFS filesystem right? So it´s really just
    > > put the microsoft NAS in front of the SAN and use it as a gateway?
    > >
    > > Could anyone clarify this for me?

  4. Re: Windows storage server 2003 - Migration?

    So to summarise this is just like transferring an ntfs hard drive from one
    windows server to another? It will recognise any data there and there will be
    NO need to copy anything between the two?

    "Jon Ingi" wrote:

    > So to summarise this is just like transferring an ntfs hard drive from one
    > windows server to another? It will recognise any data there and there will be
    > need to copy anything between the two?
    >
    > "Pat [MSFT}" wrote:
    >
    > > Yep. Assuming that the current LUN is owned by a MS Server, you can just
    > > have the LUN be owned by the Storage Server box instead. What won't
    > > transfer are any shares as they are stored in the registry & not the file
    > > system. ACLs are part of the file, so they will stay in place.
    > >
    > > If that doesn't work, you can leverage the File Server Migration tool that
    > > will take some of the drudgery out.
    > >

    > > Pat
    > >
    > > "Jon Ingi" Ingi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > We currently have a SAN environment in place.
    > > > Now we need to migrate to a NAS gateway.
    > > >
    > > > As we all know it´s a big headache to buy a NAS head because
    > > > it involves copying all your data from an NTFS SAN volume to a NAS
    > > > specific
    > > > filesystem. Every vendor has it´s own file system.
    > > >
    > > > My question is, is there any copying involved when migrating my ntfs
    > > > volume
    > > > to a microsoft NAS? It uses an NTFS filesystem right? So it´s really just
    > > > put the microsoft NAS in front of the SAN and use it as a gateway?
    > > >
    > > > Could anyone clarify this for me?

+ Reply to Thread