Good SAN Volume size? - Storage

This is a discussion on Good SAN Volume size? - Storage ; Are there limits on the size of a SAN's Windows volumes, if not technical, then common sense or "best practice"? I'm using a XioTech Magnitude 3D 3000e, 4.6 TB raw storage, Win2K3 Ent w/SP1. I set my largest volume size ...

  1. Good SAN Volume size?

    Are there limits on the size of a SAN's Windows volumes, if not technical,
    then common sense or "best practice"? I'm using a XioTech Magnitude 3D
    3000e, 4.6 TB raw storage, Win2K3 Ent w/SP1.

    I set my largest volume size to 750 GB, but, wasn't sure if I could make it
    larger, or, is that about large enough?

    Thanks.

  2. Re: Good SAN Volume size?

    As you make larger volumes, you need to start looking at how long it will
    take to backup/restore these large volumes. Sure, you could make one giant
    4.6TB volume and present to Windows as a single GPT disk, but how long will
    it take to perform a chkdsk on this volume should the filesystem ever get
    corrupt? How long does it take for your backup to run against a single 4.6TB
    volume or more importantly, how long does it take to restore this volume? Is
    your business willing to take the amount of downtime that will be required
    to restore a volume of that size?

    Once you can answer these questions, then the maximum volume size you can
    handle should start to become more clear.

    Regards,
    John

    "Bill Bradley" wrote in message
    > Are there limits on the size of a SAN's Windows volumes, if not technical,
    > then common sense or "best practice"? I'm using a XioTech Magnitude 3D
    > 3000e, 4.6 TB raw storage, Win2K3 Ent w/SP1.
    >
    > I set my largest volume size to 750 GB, but, wasn't sure if I could make

    it
    > larger, or, is that about large enough?
    >
    > Thanks.

  3. Re: Good SAN Volume size?

    This makes sense, so, instead of 1 4.6 TB volume, I create 5-800 GB volumes,
    or, something like that?

    Now...is there an issue with doing so many large volumes (this is in a
    two-node cluster, too), besides running out of drive letters? I may
    eventually need 10 TB, so, 12 800 GB volumes...

    Thanks.
    "John Toner [MVP]" wrote in message
    > As you make larger volumes, you need to start looking at how long it will
    > take to backup/restore these large volumes. Sure, you could make one giant
    > 4.6TB volume and present to Windows as a single GPT disk, but how long
    > will
    > it take to perform a chkdsk on this volume should the filesystem ever get
    > corrupt? How long does it take for your backup to run against a single
    > 4.6TB
    > volume or more importantly, how long does it take to restore this volume?
    > Is
    > your business willing to take the amount of downtime that will be required
    > to restore a volume of that size?
    >
    > Once you can answer these questions, then the maximum volume size you can
    > handle should start to become more clear.
    >
    > Regards,
    > John
    >

    > "Bill Bradley" wrote in message
    >> Are there limits on the size of a SAN's Windows volumes, if not
    >> technical,
    >> then common sense or "best practice"? I'm using a XioTech Magnitude 3D
    >> 3000e, 4.6 TB raw storage, Win2K3 Ent w/SP1.
    >>
    >> I set my largest volume size to 750 GB, but, wasn't sure if I could make

    > it
    >> larger, or, is that about large enough?
    >>
    >> Thanks.

  4. Re: Good SAN Volume size?

    If you run out of drive letters, you can always use mount points.

    > This makes sense, so, instead of 1 4.6 TB volume, I create 5-800 GB

    volumes,
    > or, something like that?
    >
    > Now...is there an issue with doing so many large volumes (this is in a
    > two-node cluster, too), besides running out of drive letters? I may
    > eventually need 10 TB, so, 12 800 GB volumes...
    >
    > Thanks.
    > "John Toner [MVP]" wrote in message
    > > As you make larger volumes, you need to start looking at how long it

    will
    > > take to backup/restore these large volumes. Sure, you could make one

    giant
    > > 4.6TB volume and present to Windows as a single GPT disk, but how long
    > > will
    > > it take to perform a chkdsk on this volume should the filesystem ever

    get
    > > corrupt? How long does it take for your backup to run against a single
    > > 4.6TB
    > > volume or more importantly, how long does it take to restore this

    volume?
    > > Is
    > > your business willing to take the amount of downtime that will be

    required
    > > to restore a volume of that size?
    > >
    > > Once you can answer these questions, then the maximum volume size you

    can
    > > handle should start to become more clear.
    > >
    > > Regards,
    > > John
    > >

    > > "Bill Bradley" wrote in message
    > >> Are there limits on the size of a SAN's Windows volumes, if not
    > >> technical,
    > >> then common sense or "best practice"? I'm using a XioTech Magnitude 3D
    > >> 3000e, 4.6 TB raw storage, Win2K3 Ent w/SP1.
    > >>
    > >> I set my largest volume size to 750 GB, but, wasn't sure if I could

    make
    > > it
    > >> larger, or, is that about large enough?
    > >>
    > >> Thanks.

  5. Re: Good SAN Volume size?

    Is there an advantage or disadvantage to this (other than not having to use
    Drive letters...), and, are multiple small drives/mount points a better
    idea than fewer and larger drives/mount points?

    Thanks!

+ Reply to Thread