NAS Gateway? - Storage

This is a discussion on NAS Gateway? - Storage ; Hi, We need to have a highly available option for storage to serve up via an application. Either a replicated DFS (multiple servers holding the storage), or SAN box option (multiple servers attached to a single storage). I think a ...

  1. NAS Gateway?

    Hi,

    We need to have a highly available option for storage to serve up via
    an application. Either a replicated DFS (multiple servers holding the
    storage), or SAN box option (multiple servers attached to a single
    storage). I think a single SAN storage option would be more straight
    forward than a DFS deployment.

    -Can the WSSR2 act as a "NAS gaetway"(not sure if that is the term) to
    either a direct attached SCSI or iSCSI SAN box?
    - How would WSSR2 access the same LUN on the SAN, via MultiPath?
    - How would I present a redundant connection to the clients in front of
    2 WSSR2 servers?
    - Could be either via HTTP or UNC - would I use NLB?

    Any documentation links would be very helpful.

    Thanks,
    Dan Foxley

  2. Re: NAS Gateway?

    1) Yes.
    2) Not sure what you are asking...WSSR2 supports multipathing.
    3) You have several options: You can cluster the share or use DFS (esp. if
    the servers are geographically dispersed).
    4) NLB supports HTTP. You can't use it for SMB/UNC traffic b/c it is
    stateful. That said you can loadbalance with DFS.

    Pat

    wrote in message
    news:1156567867.899303.273160@p79g2000cwp.googlegr oups.com...
    > Hi,
    >
    > We need to have a highly available option for storage to serve up via
    > an application. Either a replicated DFS (multiple servers holding the
    > storage), or SAN box option (multiple servers attached to a single
    > storage). I think a single SAN storage option would be more straight
    > forward than a DFS deployment.
    >
    > -Can the WSSR2 act as a "NAS gaetway"(not sure if that is the term) to
    > either a direct attached SCSI or iSCSI SAN box?
    > - How would WSSR2 access the same LUN on the SAN, via MultiPath?
    > - How would I present a redundant connection to the clients in front of
    > 2 WSSR2 servers?
    > - Could be either via HTTP or UNC - would I use NLB?
    >

    > Any documentation links would be very helpful.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Dan Foxley

  3. Re: NAS Gateway?

    Pat,
    Thanks for the reply. Can I multipath to two separate severs, or can I
    only multipath to the same server? When you say cluster, is that using
    MSCS cluster? If yes, do I need Windows Server Enterprise to cluster
    or is that allowed in the licensing of WSSR2?

    Do you know of specific links or documents that would cover this?

    Pat [MSFT} wrote:
    > 1) Yes.
    > 2) Not sure what you are asking...WSSR2 supports multipathing.
    > 3) You have several options: You can cluster the share or use DFS (esp. if
    > the servers are geographically dispersed).
    > 4) NLB supports HTTP. You can't use it for SMB/UNC traffic b/c it is
    > stateful. That said you can loadbalance with DFS.
    >
    > Pat
    >
    > wrote in message
    > news:1156567867.899303.273160@p79g2000cwp.googlegr oups.com...
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > We need to have a highly available option for storage to serve up via
    > > an application. Either a replicated DFS (multiple servers holding the
    > > storage), or SAN box option (multiple servers attached to a single
    > > storage). I think a single SAN storage option would be more straight
    > > forward than a DFS deployment.
    > >
    > > -Can the WSSR2 act as a "NAS gaetway"(not sure if that is the term) to
    > > either a direct attached SCSI or iSCSI SAN box?
    > > - How would WSSR2 access the same LUN on the SAN, via MultiPath?
    > > - How would I present a redundant connection to the clients in front of
    > > 2 WSSR2 servers?
    > > - Could be either via HTTP or UNC - would I use NLB?
    > >

    > > Any documentation links would be very helpful.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > Dan Foxley

  4. Re: NAS Gateway?

    Multi-path is a per server methodology. You use MS-Cluster Server for high
    availability between servers. WSSR2 has an Enterprise Edition that allows
    you to cluster.

    Pat

    "danfoxley@anon.postalias" wrote in message
    news:1156915964.078250.235580@h48g2000cwc.googlegr oups.com...
    > Pat,
    > Thanks for the reply. Can I multipath to two separate severs, or can I
    > only multipath to the same server? When you say cluster, is that using
    > MSCS cluster? If yes, do I need Windows Server Enterprise to cluster
    > or is that allowed in the licensing of WSSR2?
    >
    > Do you know of specific links or documents that would cover this?
    >
    > Pat [MSFT} wrote:
    >> 1) Yes.
    >> 2) Not sure what you are asking...WSSR2 supports multipathing.
    >> 3) You have several options: You can cluster the share or use DFS (esp.
    >> if
    >> the servers are geographically dispersed).
    >> 4) NLB supports HTTP. You can't use it for SMB/UNC traffic b/c it is
    >> stateful. That said you can loadbalance with DFS.
    >>
    >> Pat
    >>
    >> wrote in message
    >> news:1156567867.899303.273160@p79g2000cwp.googlegr oups.com...
    >> > Hi,
    >> >
    >> > We need to have a highly available option for storage to serve up via
    >> > an application. Either a replicated DFS (multiple servers holding the
    >> > storage), or SAN box option (multiple servers attached to a single
    >> > storage). I think a single SAN storage option would be more straight
    >> > forward than a DFS deployment.
    >> >
    >> > -Can the WSSR2 act as a "NAS gaetway"(not sure if that is the term) to
    >> > either a direct attached SCSI or iSCSI SAN box?
    >> > - How would WSSR2 access the same LUN on the SAN, via MultiPath?
    >> > - How would I present a redundant connection to the clients in front of
    >> > 2 WSSR2 servers?
    >> > - Could be either via HTTP or UNC - would I use NLB?
    >> >

    >> > Any documentation links would be very helpful.
    >> >
    >> > Thanks,
    >> > Dan Foxley

+ Reply to Thread