Windows Storage Server 2003 R2 x64 And Exchange Feature Pack - Storage

This is a discussion on Windows Storage Server 2003 R2 x64 And Exchange Feature Pack - Storage ; I am currently trying to set up an Exchange on Storage Server system with a new Dell system. The Dell system is running Windows Storage Server 2003 R2 x64. Unfortunately, the Feature Pack that they provide will not install on ...

  1. Windows Storage Server 2003 R2 x64 And Exchange Feature Pack

    I am currently trying to set up an Exchange on Storage Server system with a
    new Dell system. The Dell system is running Windows Storage Server 2003 R2
    x64. Unfortunately, the Feature Pack that they provide will not install on
    that OS (error indicates that the system must be running Windows Storage
    Server 2003, even though it is).

    Dell thinks it is an incompatibility with the 64-bit version. Can anybody
    shed light on this? Is it a 64-bit incompatibility? If so, will there be a
    64-bit Feature Pack in the near future? Any suggestions for other options?
    Unfortunately, the system was purchased primarily for this purpose, so I have
    to come up with some kind of solution.

    Thanks in advance for all responses.

  2. Re: Windows Storage Server 2003 R2 x64 And Exchange Feature Pack

    Feature Pack is for WSS2k3 - not for the R2 release & is 32bit only.

    The suggested method for R2 is to leverage iSCSI.

    Pat

    "indyvql" wrote in message
    >I am currently trying to set up an Exchange on Storage Server system with a
    > new Dell system. The Dell system is running Windows Storage Server 2003 R2
    > x64. Unfortunately, the Feature Pack that they provide will not install on
    > that OS (error indicates that the system must be running Windows Storage
    > Server 2003, even though it is).
    >
    > Dell thinks it is an incompatibility with the 64-bit version. Can anybody
    > shed light on this? Is it a 64-bit incompatibility? If so, will there be a
    > 64-bit Feature Pack in the near future? Any suggestions for other options?
    > Unfortunately, the system was purchased primarily for this purpose, so I
    > have
    > to come up with some kind of solution.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for all responses.

  3. Re: Windows Storage Server 2003 R2 x64 And Exchange Feature Pack

    Pat,

    I appreciate your response, but admit to being at a bit of a loss as to what
    it means. I thought iSCSI was only for SANs and do not have much
    understanding of that area. For this purpose, I am only running a single NAS
    machine (which uses SATA and not SCSI, although I don't know if this
    matters). The intent was to have a simple Exchange extension through this NAS
    (Storage Server 2003 Standard). Is this no longer possible or is there a
    simple iSCSI setup that I can use?

    My only thought for further exploration/experimentation is that the Feature
    Pack does not appear to do much on the Storage Server side and that I could
    set up a simple share on SS and still install the Feature Pack on the
    Exchange 2003 server.

    Any further guidance is much appreciated.

    Thanks,
    indyvql

    "Pat [MSFT}" wrote:

    > Feature Pack is for WSS2k3 - not for the R2 release & is 32bit only.
    >
    > The suggested method for R2 is to leverage iSCSI.
    >
    > Pat
    >
    > "indyvql" wrote in message
    > >I am currently trying to set up an Exchange on Storage Server system with a
    > > new Dell system. The Dell system is running Windows Storage Server 2003 R2
    > > x64. Unfortunately, the Feature Pack that they provide will not install on
    > > that OS (error indicates that the system must be running Windows Storage
    > > Server 2003, even though it is).

  4. Re: Windows Storage Server 2003 R2 x64 And Exchange Feature Pack

    If you install an iSCSI target package on the WSS/NAS box - it will present
    its storage like a drive rather than a share to the Exchange server. The
    storage that the WSS/NAS box has can be of any type - SCSI, SATA, etc.

    Pat

    "indyvql" wrote in message
    > Pat,
    >
    > I appreciate your response, but admit to being at a bit of a loss as to
    > what
    > it means. I thought iSCSI was only for SANs and do not have much
    > understanding of that area. For this purpose, I am only running a single
    > NAS
    > machine (which uses SATA and not SCSI, although I don't know if this
    > matters). The intent was to have a simple Exchange extension through this
    > NAS
    > (Storage Server 2003 Standard). Is this no longer possible or is there a
    > simple iSCSI setup that I can use?
    >
    > My only thought for further exploration/experimentation is that the
    > Feature
    > Pack does not appear to do much on the Storage Server side and that I
    > could
    > set up a simple share on SS and still install the Feature Pack on the
    > Exchange 2003 server.
    >
    > Any further guidance is much appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > indyvql
    >
    > "Pat [MSFT}" wrote:
    >
    >> Feature Pack is for WSS2k3 - not for the R2 release & is 32bit only.
    >>
    >> The suggested method for R2 is to leverage iSCSI.
    >>
    >> Pat
    >>
    >> "indyvql" wrote in message
    >> >I am currently trying to set up an Exchange on Storage Server system
    >> >with a
    >> > new Dell system. The Dell system is running Windows Storage Server 2003
    >> > R2
    >> > x64. Unfortunately, the Feature Pack that they provide will not install
    >> > on
    >> > that OS (error indicates that the system must be running Windows
    >> > Storage
    >> > Server 2003, even though it is).

  5. Re: Windows Storage Server 2003 R2 x64 And Exchange Feature Pack

    In case anyone is interested, I did have a bit of a successful experiment
    along these lines. I ignored installing the Feature Pack on the WSS 2003 R2
    x64 machine and only set up a simple share. I then installed the Feature Pack
    on the Windows 2003 Server R2 running Exchange 2003. This installed the
    Windows Storage Server Drive Maping (WSSDM) service and software to transfer
    the data (wizard and a CLI). Running the wizard successfully mapped a drive
    to the Storage Server and transferred the database files. After this,
    Exchange seemed to mount the database without problems. The only problem that
    I found came when I restarted the Exchange server. Apparently, ExchangeIS
    tries to Start before WSSDM is finished. It successfully starts, but can't
    mount the databases. The solution that I found was to set the ExchangeIS to
    start manually and put in a Startup script that starts that service 10
    minutes after the server starts (giving enough time for WSSDM to finish).
    Don't know if this is entirely viable, but it looks good in principle.

    "indyvql" wrote:

    > My only thought for further exploration/experimentation is that the Feature
    > Pack does not appear to do much on the Storage Server side and that I could
    > set up a simple share on SS and still install the Feature Pack on the
    > Exchange 2003 server.
    >
    > Any further guidance is much appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > indyvql
    >
    > "Pat [MSFT}" wrote:
    >
    > > Feature Pack is for WSS2k3 - not for the R2 release & is 32bit only.
    > >
    > > The suggested method for R2 is to leverage iSCSI.
    > >
    > > Pat
    > >
    > > "indyvql" wrote in message
    > > >I am currently trying to set up an Exchange on Storage Server system with a
    > > > new Dell system. The Dell system is running Windows Storage Server 2003 R2
    > > > x64. Unfortunately, the Feature Pack that they provide will not install on
    > > > that OS (error indicates that the system must be running Windows Storage
    > > > Server 2003, even though it is).

  6. Re: Windows Storage Server 2003 R2 x64 And Exchange Feature Pack

    Starwind from Rocketdivision only ISCSI target with native 64bit exe I
    know. Look here http://www.rocketdivision.com/wind.html I asked and
    they gift me free key to Professional version run tests. I experiment
    and use ISCSI target for no business!

    And how you manage Mysan work? I want run performance tests between
    Sanmelody, Starwind and Mysan. Sanmelody and Starwind works and Mysan
    always service crash when many file copy. I ask Mysan support but they
    no answer.

    Best regards,
    Ichiro

+ Reply to Thread